Problem compiling displacement

gommi

L2: Junior Member
Jun 18, 2015
Thats a displacement where the leak goes. Displacements will leak. Whats under the displacement? You need to seal the area under it.
there is a nodrow box that cover everything

l4pDq1A.png

gommi

Jun 18, 2015
there is a nodrow box that cover everything

l4pDq1A.png

i've tryed to change the material and nothing changes. the red line still point on the bulb. is there a way to remove the bulb and fix the problem?

gommi

Jun 18, 2015
yep got em

and now another problem. there is a red line that pass throught skybox and throught nodraw. this time not entity

luKwmTK.png

ics

http://ics-base.net
aa
Jun 17, 2010
The red line doesn't always show the place of the leak. It might be that your map leaks from several locations or just two and it fails to show the correct spot. Go through your map and check everything. Switch off everything than the basic brushwork (also displacements, put them off) and see the map through.

Sep 10, 2015
yep got em

and now another problem. there is a red line that pass throught skybox and throught nodraw. this time not entity
Did you unload the pointfile after finding the first leak, because it will stay there even after the leak is fixed, try unloading and reloading the point file to see if there's another leak in the map.

gommi

Jun 18, 2015
The red line doesn't always show the place of the leak. It might be that your map leaks from several locations or just two and it fails to show the correct spot. Go through your map and check everything. Switch off everything than the basic brushwork (also displacements, put them off) and see the map through.
checked everything and there is no gap in anything

Did you unload the pointfile after finding the first leak, because it will stay there even after the leak is fixed, try unloading and reloading the point file to see if there's another leak in the map.
yep done it and still the red line pass throught nodraw and skybox

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
Did you recompile after fixing that leak? If you just press the Load Pointfile button again it will load the same pointfile with the leak. You need to compile again to make a new pointfile (if there are any leaks after that).

gommi

Jun 18, 2015
Did you recompile after fixing that leak? If you just press the Load Pointfile button again it will load the same pointfile with the leak. You need to compile again to make a new pointfile (if there are any leaks after that).

tryed to compile and whe i tryed to start the map it spawned me outside the map and crashed 5 sec after. when i came back on hammer and try to load pointfile it open a windows where it is searching for a .pts or a .lin files

EDIT:
i'm an idiot. i was tryna start the map without entities

Last edited:

gommi

Jun 18, 2015
little problem

ziQbI6Z.png

EDIT:
it seems i'm having ths problem with every tf server. don't think it's a mapping problem

gommi

Jun 18, 2015
ok. i'm fixing all the leaks but now the compile does not start. i mean it freezes at the very beginning.
the last codes are

patching wvt materal:maps/cp_hightower/nature/blendgrundtograve1004 (i can't see more of this line)
patching wvt materal:maps/cp_hightower/nature/blendgrundtograve1005 (i can't see more of this line)
fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides...
processingBlock_thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7
compiling without tool brushes it freeze at

static prop models/props_lights/hanginbulb.mdl outside the map (5217. (i can't see more of this line)​

Last edited:

JMaxchill

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 21, 2015
Find your compile log (I can't remember where it'd be stored, sorry) and get the coordinates for the line it freezes at. To me, it looks like that light prop is outside the map, so try deleting it and see if it then compiles.

gommi

Jun 18, 2015
and also hammer lag a lot. i don't think it's the complexity of the map couse i've only added a bit skyboxes and nodraw boxes from when it was all ok

gommi

Jun 18, 2015
i still can't compile and everytime it freeze at different points. is there a way to have the compile log after closing hammer?couse when it freeze i must close it or my pc start lag on everything

Aksamit

L1: Registered
Nov 7, 2015
There should be a .log file next to your .vmf file in the same folder. It contains all the previous compilation logs since it was created.
You could delete it, compile the map and then grab the log from this file after closing Hammer.

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
You have a lot of stuff that's outside the map. For testing purposes, I suggest making a giant box around your map with the skybox texture to seal it up completely. You just make a giant box around your map, press enter, then hollow it out by going to the Tools menu, then select Make Hollow. Type in a negative number (-8 or -16). If the compiler still freaks out after doing that then I'm no longer able to give any clues as to what's happening.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Guys stop, stop with the unhelpful info.
@JMaxchill @Aksamit @Mystery Biscuits You have all missed the most obvious thing and aren't being helpful.

It hasn't frozen, it's just compiling normally.

Compiling is a CPU intensive activity. If you see vrad.exe, vvis.exe or vbsp.exe at a high cpu % in taskmanager, it's still running just fine. Only if you see them sitting at a low % for more than a few moments, they've crashed.

The next question is which of them is taking the time, so we can advise you on how to build your level better (not making it inside a giant box @Mystery Biscuits, which is often the cause of long vvis times!)

(sidenote FAO @Crash, @Geit @Fr0Z3nR and co, this is why we need a disagree option, for visually marking incorrect and unhelpful information)

gommi

Jun 18, 2015
ok reading on internet i've seen that is probably map optimization so i'm tryng to fix edges and other stuffs that collide and tryng use nodraw on some sides of boxes that aren't visible (i'm not sure i'm doing right).

Guys stop, stop with the unhelpful info.
@JMaxchill @Aksamit @Mystery Biscuits You have all missed the most obvious thing and aren't being helpful.

It hasn't frozen, it's just compiling normally.

Compiling is a CPU intensive activity. If you see vrad.exe, vvis.exe or vbsp.exe at a high cpu % in taskmanager, it's still running just fine. Only if you see them sitting at a low % for more than a few moments, they've crashed.

The next question is which of them is taking the time, so we can advise you on how to build your level better (not making it inside a giant box @Mystery Biscuits, which is often the cause of long vvis times!)

(sidenote FAO @Crash, @Geit @Fr0Z3nR and co, this is why we need a disagree option, for visually marking incorrect and unhelpful information)

i've tryed to wait after 35 min that compile but it remain freezed. before that problem hammer compiled the map in 2/3 min.

what you suggest me to do?