pl_hydropower

PL pl_hydropower rc4

ethosaur

L4: Comfortable Member
Sep 18, 2010
pl_hydropower - A one stage payload map based on the theme of tc_hydro and cp_powerhouse

Hello! This is my first ever payload map.
It's theme is based on tc_hydro and cp_powerhouse

Please post any feedback you have after playing the map, thanks!

This is a 1 stage payload map with one forward spawn for each team.

Last edited:

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Delete my version to test? Why not just give your file name version numbers like every other normal person?

ethosaur

Sep 18, 2010
Delete my version to test? Why not just give your file name version numbers like every other normal person?
Because the server might have a older version than the one I provide here, and therefore you would get a "Client map differs from server" error. So if you really wanted to play the map you would have to delete it from the files if it was oudated/new version. I do not have control over the versions the server has, because it's not my server, they just host it for me sometimes but updating each version takes time. Im just thankful they host it at all.

Also I find it a big aggressive also calling me not a normal person, so far I haven't really had much pleasant experiences on tf2maps. And that comment isn't really helping. If you want to make a normal statement just get to the point and don't point out things like that, thanks.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
OK, sorry, but it's a problem you can solve easily by using different version numbers for each release. Then players don't need to take any extra steps and are more likely to play your map instead of giving up. Remember, most players will not read your instructions before joining a server through the server browser or something. I myself have never googled a custom map name to make sure I don't need to take any extra steps before playing it. It's a ludicrous assumption of the player. I did not mean you're abnormal. It's just surprising that you'd choose the more arduous job for the player instead of the simpler job for yourself.

You should put this (and your other map) into a TF2M gameday, or try to get it in an impromptu test organized by the chat. That's the best way to get feedback from us. I'm interested to see how they play.

ethosaur

Sep 18, 2010
OK, sorry, but it's a problem you can solve easily by using different name versions for each release. Then players don't need to take any extra steps and are more likely to play your map instead of giving up. Remember, most players will not read your instructions before joining a server through the server browser or something. I myself have never googled a custom map name to make sure I don't need to take any extra steps before playing it. It's a ludicrous assumption of the player. I did not mean you're abnormal. It's just surprising that you'd choose the more arduous job for the player instead of the simpler job for yourself.

You should put this (and your other map) into a TF2M gameday, or try to get it in an impromptu test organized by the chat. That's the best way to get feedback from us. I'm interested to see how they play.
I use different versions for each release, but it's not always the server gets the version, that's what im trying to say.
This is the newest version, but the server hasn't updated yet with rc2, it's still on b8, basically way behind, but it's not my server so I cant update it yet. If it was I would make sure it was a new version every time so people would not have to do exactly what I wrote, but I cant. So until its update, people will have to delete it and get the older version if they wish to test. But im not forcing anyone to do this.

I'll post the map on gameday, but the last map I posted on gameday got in a list but never received feedback, I hope this one maybe will?

killohurtz

Distinction in Applied Carving
aa
Feb 22, 2014
If you've been versioning correctly like you say, then players will not need to delete other versions, because the file names are different. A player can have rc2 downloaded and still be able to connect to and play on a server running b8.

ethosaur

Sep 18, 2010
If you've been versioning correctly like you say, then players will not need to delete other versions, because the file names are different. A player can have rc2 downloaded and still be able to connect to and play on a server running b8.
In that case I see no issues here then, but I remember having some problems joining the server myself when joining with a version more updated than the one on the map, but it could be I made a mistake and updated while forgetting to change the name.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
The only time players need to delete maps are if the filenames are the same but the map itself is different. For instance, if you compiled as pl_hydropower every time, then players would need to remove the map before joining every time (or overwrite their copy manually). If every version you release is named differently, it won't matter. Sorry about the confusion.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I just saw this:
I'll post the map on gameday, but the last map I posted on gameday got in a list but never received feedback, I hope this one maybe will?
They fill up! Unfortunately we can't play every map every time, though we try. If you can't ever make it into gamedays, you can either hang out in our Steam chat and wait for an impromptu test, or when you see an event go out for an imp (that's impromptu test for short) join the server and ask if your map can be played. You have to be in our Steam group to see those notifications, though!

I'm going to post a thread for my Friday gameday later today (about 8-9 hours from now, most likely), and Egan usually posts his thread for his Saturday gameday on Friday nights. I'll alert you when I post it later. I make sure to play maps that haven't been tested recently, so hopefully that gives you a little buffer room to get a map into the event.

ethosaur

Sep 18, 2010
I just saw this:

They fill up! Unfortunately we can't play every map every time, though we try. If you can't ever make it into gamedays, you can either hang out in our Steam chat and wait for an impromptu test, or when you see an event go out for an imp (that's impromptu test for short) join the server and ask if your map can be played. You have to be in our Steam group to see those notifications, though!

I'm going to post a thread for my Friday gameday later today (about 8-9 hours from now, most likely), and Egan usually posts his thread for his Saturday gameday on Friday nights. I'll alert you when I post it later. I make sure to play maps that haven't been tested recently, so hopefully that gives you a little buffer room to get a map into the event.
Ok thanks.

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
The line of sight in the 9th screenshot is absolutely massive.

Apr 14, 2013
That's some great detail!
But I guess I'd first have to play it to decide. Put it up for some imp or gameday!

The "have to delete my map file before playing" is caused by mismatching map files. This can be caused by improper naming of versions, or by you having in your map folder a different version than the one on server (for example- if you copied it to your desktop, then packed it and uploaded it, but didn't replace the one in your map folder with the correct file. This always happens to me...)

ethosaur

Sep 18, 2010
That's some great detail!
But I guess I'd first have to play it to decide. Put it up for some imp or gameday!

The "have to delete my map file before playing" is caused by mismatching map files. This can be caused by improper naming of versions, or by you having in your map folder a different version than the one on server (for example- if you copied it to your desktop, then packed it and uploaded it, but didn't replace the one in your map folder with the correct file. This always happens to me...)
Thanks. It's on US gameday at the moment, but i'll see about adding it to that too, whats different from IMP and gamedays?

Roll

-in a daze-
aa
Jun 19, 2009
Thanks. It's on US gameday at the moment, but i'll see about adding it to that too, whats different from IMP and gamedays?
Imp is short for impromptu and as the name suggests these tests are not planned ahead of time unlike gamedays which are scheduled. Imps are set up in the Steam group chat whenever someone feels like running a maptest, so if you want your map run in one stop by and ask if anyone wants to play.

ethosaur

Sep 18, 2010
Imp is short for impromptu and as the name suggests these tests are not planned ahead of time unlike gamedays which are scheduled. Imps are set up in the Steam group chat whenever someone feels like running a maptest, so if you want your map run in one stop by and ask if anyone wants to play.
Awesome, I'll ask around tomorrow, It's a bit late for me to do right now.