▶Overwatch Megathread◀

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
Jeff Kaplan just made a statement on custom maps in overwatch-

"We are extremely open-minded about releasing a map editor for Overwatch someday. But because Overwatch was made with a brand new engine, this is not a small task or one which can happen any time soon. We have this on our long-term road map and believe heavily in user-made content. But there are many challenges ahead of us and it will be a very long road before our editor can be made available to the public."

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20753537194#post-15

I'm actually surprised about the inclusion of a map editor, and wonder how it would play out. I predict it won't be too far off from Halo's Forge mode to be more friendly, if that's what Blizzard is going for. I'm excited!

I wonder what "someday" translates into for Blizzard as opposed to Valve time.

Definitely excited about the idea of an editor. It'll be very different mapping for OW as opposed to TF2, so a lot of preconceived notions we have had hammered into us about mapping will need to be rethought entirely from the ground up.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
You could really go as far as extracting models from the gamefiles and building a level in Unreal or a 3D package if you wanted to. But I don't think it'd garner any response beyond "this is cool" from Blizzard unless you were applying to them (in which case showing you can design an overwatch focused map might be super useful)

Issue is, one of the early reasons they gave for not having a map editor in priority, was that many of the existing assets for maps at the time wouldn't work well outside their map. Like, they really only worked for that map. Everything was a unique puzzle piece that all just fit together.

If you were to do something like this, you'd basically need to build a majority of your own assets, from scratch.

hutty

aa
Mar 30, 2014
That's only a problem it you plan to reuse props and / or can't use a model editor. And even then there is a fair amount of reusable content, especially on watchpoint. When it comes to custom maps most players don't care if its dev textures or not, they just want the new gameplay.

The fact that they havn't given us the tools they are currently using already, makes me nervous. I hope they don't try to do a snapmap.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
Inhouse tools are almost always cobbled together in terms of UI and usability. It's very common for developers to not want to release their tools because they are not user friendly. And with the amount of polish blizzard is putting into overwatch I can see them wanting a very stable usable editor.

Ihauoli

L1: Registered
May 20, 2017
Is there any way to improve the quality of the Custom Servers or is it going to forever be a cesspool of RP and Identical modes?

killohurtz

Distinction in Applied Carving
aa
Feb 22, 2014
See, the beauty of custom servers is that you have the power to make whatever kind of game you want. These roleplayers just want a break from normal gameplay to have some casual fun. If you're tired of them, go be the change you want to see and make a custom game of your own!

TyeZenneth

L6: Sharp Member
May 31, 2014

Ihauoli

May 20, 2017

Powerlord

L3: Member
May 8, 2010
The Overwatch Halloween event is now live. 8 new Legendary skins (including great ones for Symmetra and Zenyatta).

Dr. Junkenstein's Revenge is live now, but this year it looks like you can play as anyone... and there's also an endless version where it doesn't end until the castle door is broken.

It sounds like Symmetra also makes an appearance as an enemy.

Sadly, I haven't had a chance to play it as today is Everything Wants To Update Day and my computer is still updating stuff.

RodionJenga

L5: Dapper Member
Oct 24, 2015
Well, since we're doing this, I finally started playing.

Rodionjenga#1333 US

I think it's too early for me to have a main yet, but I'm playing around with Mercy, Symmetra, Zenyatta, Zarya, Orisa, Winston, and random TF2 Clone classes as apropriate. I guess I'll update if a main arises.

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
KubeKing#1443 US

Initial impressions: Roadhog seems really overpowered. Shield-barrier-things are terrible to take out. Pharah is basically a very-buffed Soldier. I'm having fun.

Last edited:

TAVRAX

Sep 14, 2014
Oh hey guys we're talking overwatch?

TAVRAX#1352 AUS

My mains would be Reinhardt and Ana, but honestly I just play whatever is needed.