Overlook

CTF Overlook rc

• This map is featured! Our best maps, all together in one place for your viewing pleasure.

Jimmy

L420: High Member
Jul 6, 2009
ledge is OP nurf pls :p

In all seriousness, I have to say that that ledge ruined it for me. touch return is un-needed, the side route is great, the mid dropdown feels useless and in the way. other than that plays well

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
All right, touch return is so horrible. I will cry tears the size of whales if it stays.

Anyway, the intel room is still very campable. It's like the ledge above on the defenders' side is made for a sentry, as well as the little nearby room. I'm not entirely sure what makes it so campable, might be the fact that you never know where there could be a sentry. Stepping into that room to be surrounded by sentries could ruin the best of ubers.

Dustoxx

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 9, 2009
so when is there coming a test? i'm very curious to the gameplay of the touch return and cap at flag.

Frush

L2: Junior Member
Jan 8, 2010
Touch return is pretty horrible, get rid of it!

Todays gameday was generally a spamfest.

I say get rid of that ledge over the intel, it's too campable.

Oh, and...

Clip this

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
remove the cubby hole with the ammo and health and move those up to the attacker's balcony to make it a good spot to spam the intel room from

the intel room was very campable in general for both teams, you need to somehow decrease that a little

Sep 12, 2008
Alright, thanks for all the feedback and suggestions, both here and in the playtests. After thinking for a while, I think the best option for me is to completely rebuild the bases and intel areas. The basic layout will still be the same, but it'll be bigger, shinier, and better.
I hope I won't dissapoint you!

Here is a preview of a new part:
ctf_overlook_a90001.jpg

Sep 12, 2008
ALPHA 9 RELEASED!!

DOWNLOAD:
TF2Maps.net
Dropbox

Changelist?

• Reworked intel+spawn areas completely
    -> Spawns are now further away, and has two exits.
    -> Intel room is now bigger, emptier, and should promote teamplay.
    -> A new back exit is added (spytech corridor)​
  • Overal improved detailing
  • Removed Cap-At-Flag mechanic
    -> TOUCH-RETURN does still exist!​

Pictures?

ctf_overlook_a90027.jpg

ctf_overlook_a90028.jpg

ctf_overlook_a90029.jpg

ctf_overlook_a90030.jpg

ctf_overlook_a90031.jpg

ctf_overlook_a90032.jpg

Thoughts?

[Insert people's comments here]

Finally! It's there! Enjoy, guys!

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Touch return. Eww. Anyway the changes sound quite radical though so it'll be interesting to see how it plays out. :)

Languid

L5: Dapper Member
Oct 9, 2009
That looks really good, keep it up! Downloading when I get to a steam-enabled computer.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
a9-1.jpg

I can't but think that this pole thing will be an annoyance.

a9-2.jpg

The light is missing on this side of the map.

a9-3.jpg

These 2 areaportals are merging!

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
So you still have touch return, eh? Well, I still think it ruins everything.

As for the map itself, the current design is very good. However, as nice as that curvy corridor is, you should probably have made a test of it first, because that spawn exit is sort of... Useless. Sure, it might let you go around the attackers in certain cases, but it's long and in most cases you might as well take the shorter routes.

Also, the vents that you have to crouch jump into are annoying. Make it work with a regular jump! That goes for Whalerace too, I've just forgotten to mention it. :p

honeymustard

L9: Fashionable Member
Oct 26, 2009
I really enjoyed playing this. Touch return seemed fine, but I don't think it makes a huge difference to be honest.

The only thing I'd say is the back route (with the windows) (far left out of spawn, I think) seems a bit out of the way. I never used it - or even saw it, until I specced someone walk through accidentally.