Optimal size for texturing

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by TeamRemix, Mar 14, 2011.

1. TeamRemix

TeamRemix L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Quick question. Is there a optimal size for making buildings for texturing?

What I mean is, should all increments be within in a certain multiple i.e. 8, 16, 24 etc.

My gut reaction is that you want multiples of 8 since that is what the dev brushes are suggesting (like the 128x128 dev texture). Just curious. Thanks!

2. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
  3. TeamRemix

TeamRemix L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks that article helped quite a bit. Since those ratios are what I was thinking, at least I was on the right track partially. :)

4. HellJumper

aa HellJumper

Positive Ratings:
    You'd be quite surprised at how Halo does it's textures. Everything is like 768 x 768. Very odd and not a power of 2. D:

5. Exist

Exist L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Halo was made for Macs. Nuf' said.

6. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
  7. jpr

aa jpr

Positive Ratings:
    Yup, mainly powers of 2 are what you want, and not only because of textures, but because you want to stick on the largest possible grid too.

8. Duke Silas

Duke Silas L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Is it not a good idea to use a grid of one in any instance? i.e should 2 be the lowest you should go to?
    I know 1 is a power of 2, but I've had issues when snapping to 1 when editing vertex's.

9. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    1 and 2 should be used as sparingly as possible. You rarely need to go below 4.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    64-128-256 and 512 are your main size attributes. 32 can be used for things like beams and strips. But most walls are 512 by 512 in texture resolution (which translates to 256 hammer units).

Some textures are 1024x1024 but these are awkward to work with as it's the maximum scale that Source can use and sometimes the texture browser in Hammer locks at 1000.

Valve keep to an x/y scale of 64 but switch between 192 and 256 for z scales. Using a scale below 64x64 only allows things to accidently end up more complicated and difficult to work with further down the road.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  11. Sgt Frag

Sgt Frag L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    Nothing wrong with using grid 1 or 2. You just need to use them in the right circumstances.

Stick to 8or 16 for most walls. Makes it a lot easier to avoid leaks as you can see gaps between brushes without zooming way in. You can also work faster this way. Also makes it easier to stick to good ratios for textures. (But 16 can make it easy to build over sized areas)
    Use 4 for thin walls (a lot of door frames are 8 units thick).

Grid 1 and 2 should only be used for details where you want thin brushes, trims, planks, etc..
    Stuff that will be func_detailed so they won't cause leaks even if they don't meet up and have gaps.