Need help with Hammer, I can't open my map! (And other problems)

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Jummbl, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Jummbl

Jummbl L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Need help with Hammer, I can't open my map! (And other problems) [RESOLVED!]

Hi, I'm having trouble running Hammer, and I can't find anything that would help me. Here's the steps I'm taking:

1. I open hammer

2. Try to open my map

3. Map loads up to 33%, then stops to give me the message "Model models/editor/camera.mdl not found and models/error.mdl couldn't be loaded"

4. Clicking "ok" crashes Hammer.

Also, I tried opening my other maps to see if they had the same problem, but most of them gave black screens on both the 3d and the 2d cameras. One of my maps does this..

Please help!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

UPDATE: My problem has been resolved! If a mod sees this, you can close the thread if you'd like.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  2. worMatty

aa worMatty Repacking Evangelist

Positive Ratings:
    It would seem that Hammer can not access the resources required to display things.

This could mean your game content is corrupt or missing. Have you tried validating the cache?

Are you using the Source SDK to launch Hammer? Have you tried running the copy of Hammer that's built in to TF2? It's in the SteamApps/common/Team Fortress 2/bin dir. Run hammer.bat first, then Hammer.exe if that doesn't work.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Jummbl

Positive Ratings:
    Not entirely sure what you mean by this, but last night steam was "validating" my tf2. Could you elaborate on this? I've got a feeling this is most likely the problem.

I open hammer though a shortcut of the hammer.exe in bin, but I have not tried running .bat, so I'll try that when I can.

Thank you for your response!

4. worMatty

Positive Ratings:
    No probs.

Within your Steam library, right-click the game you wish to verify and choose Properties. Select the Local Files tab, and click the Verify integrity of game cache button. This checks all of your game files to see if they are not corrupt or missing.

There was a TF2 update last night, so Steam was probably downloading updates for you.

I believe the hammer.bat file sets up your system to have the correct environment for running the Hammer installation associated with TF2. It's called the VProject environment, but I don't know much about it. FYI :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Faux Rhinoceros

aa Faux Rhinoceros Also known as Dr. Element

Positive Ratings:
    You could try removing whatever requires these assets with notepad. Just make sure you make a backup of the map first.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. worMatty

Positive Ratings:
    I'm pretty sure those assets are used by Hammer, not by his map(s).

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Faux Rhinoceros

aa Faux Rhinoceros Also known as Dr. Element

Positive Ratings:
    True. Which means that validating SHOULD fix it. If it doesn't, however, i'd try the notepad method because why not.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Jummbl

Positive Ratings:
    This worked, and everything is fine! Thank you! And thank you Element, for your advice, even though I didn't need it.