My Map Is Gone

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Dr.TwentyTwo, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Dr.TwentyTwo

Dr.TwentyTwo L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Ok I was working on a map and when I tried running it after creating the spawn it crashed my computer and then when it booted back up I had to reinstall tf2 and now everything in the map is gone. I'm not sure if there's anything I can do to fix this but I spent like a full week on the map already and it was so close to completion

2. Oni134

Oni134 L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    try searching a .VMX file of your map
    copy that archive in your desktop and try to change it to a .VMF and open it in hammer

and if that doesn't work just decompile it (the area portals maybe be messed up)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    And take this as a chance to learn about the importance of source control systems.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Crowbar

aa Crowbar Live demonstration of the hairy ball theorem

Positive Ratings:
    More like backups in this case... if the VCS hasn't survived a drive failure it's about as much use as the original file would have been.
    But both are extremely important.

5. Malachite Man

Malachite Man L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    It's always important to make backups. Hammer ain't fair.

6. Pocket

aa Pocket Naylte ven, naylte yen.

Positive Ratings:
    Did you check the HammerAutosave folder? Hammer places that right in the C: root, probably for this very reason.

7. Kill_the_Bug

aa Kill_the_Bug

Positive Ratings:
    alternatively, if you can't the vmf but you can find the vmt file - make a copy of the vmt and change the extension to vmf and then open it in hammer

8. Da Spud Lord

aa Da Spud Lord Occasionally I make maps

Positive Ratings:
    VMTs are material files, and are hardly interchangeable with VMFs. You're talking about VMX files, which are backups of VMF files automatically created by Hammer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Kill_the_Bug

aa Kill_the_Bug

Positive Ratings:
    Yep that's what I meant - I just finished working with a vmt file and transposed in the wrong letter