Model Replacement for func_croc

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Punished Lawbringer, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Punished Lawbringer

Punished Lawbringer L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I know this is still kind of a relatively new function, but I'm still hoping people messed with it enough.

Currently, I'm making a Halloween map slated for next year's Halloween. However, the map itself is set in a more tropical and oceanic environment (a bit similar to Cursed Cove in terms of aesthetical value). It's very early in development, but it is supposed to incorporate func_croc for ledges into the water.

However, is it possible to replace the model of crocodiles:
    • Swimming in the water
    • Jumping toward the player
    I'm just interested in it. Otherwise, I'd just use the normal kill method.

2. Da Spud Lord

aa Da Spud Lord L0: Crappy Member

Positive Ratings:
    It should be easy to replace the model of the swimming crocs, those I believe are just animated prop_dynamics that can be swapped out for any model. Replacing the model that jumps up might be harder, as that's an entity (entity_croc) that's dynamically spawned by the game during runtime and probably has a predefined model. You might be able to replace it by identifying the model used by entity_croc, and then overriding the default model with a custom model with the same file path and name packed into your BSP, as assets packed into the BSP will override default assets.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Punished Lawbringer

Punished Lawbringer L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Thank you for the reply. I took your advice and began messing with it in a freestyle map I use for reference. Turns out, replacing the swimming crocs with other props was extremely easy, and I could've figured that out by digging deeper. I can't seem to find the file path of the jumping crocs, however.

Might need to hold off on it until the beta portion is reached.

4. basilhs333

basilhs333 L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    punished lawbringer, did you manage to replace the crocodiles with another prop in the end?
    cause I want to do the same thing with my map as well