Meet the Medic or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love TF2

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Great, another "everything in TF2 sucks WAAHH WAAAHH WAAHH" thread

Just what we need.

That wasn't the point of the thread, but the reason. I'm trying to put a different look on whats being implemented in the game and show that its not really that sucky.

EDIT: added a tl;dr

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2010
the winger, liberty launcher, and the family business are revolutionizing tf2 forever. totally needed.

i wish valve added weapons that were actually good i.e. disciplinary action, kritz, bonk. they've proven that they can if they'd put some thought into them. I mean those beta pocket launchers they added to the beta had some pretty awful ideas. however, the disciplinary action and i'm gonna say the soda popper are pretty awesome.

I think the community could come up with better weapon ideas. I think 5 seconds after i heard about the family business i said "wow that's boring. a cooler shotgun would be one that has a faster weapon switch time when above 50% hp, and slower weapon switch time when below 50% hp."

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I actually enjoy using the liberty launcher, but it's just not as useful as the Black Box or DH. If i wanted to survive more i'd use a BB if i had it, but usually i find myself using the DH if i'm after damage dealing. Liberty launcher is just fun to use against lesser skilled players when i can relax. If i find myself dying a lot and need to concentrate and up my game, i turn to the default launcher or DH. This is kind of bad since alternative weapons should be for play style and not more/less powerful by default.

Which i think is much of the problem. Some of the weapons have great design ideas but they're just implemented so poorly. If they slowed down just a bit maybe we could have brief periods of respite. By the time they fix some of the new weapons they've released a whole new batch that eventually need fixing as well. It's like TF2 is in a perpetual state of incomplete-ness.

Last edited:

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
To be honest, I can't name pretty much all of the newer weapons. I can't tell you what weapon is overpowered or what weapons are crap. I don't play TF2 as much as I used to, I don't enjoy it as much as I used to, but at the end of the day I do still have fun. I have never taken TF2 seriously and the main reason I still play is because I can get along with the likes of you lot, or the guys at playstuff or the people I've played with throughout the years. Its these small communities of people that make TF2 fun for me. Without them, I'd probably stop playing. As a game, TF2 is probably one of my all time favourites, but there are games out there that are better technically, visually and more balanced. It's just these games generally have worse players. Players that are bad, or are annoying, or are moany. They are what kill a game for me

Doctor Paprika

L4: Comfortable Member
Apr 24, 2011
I think the community could come up with better weapon ideas.

I have a set of Demoman unlocks I'm working on (not like the Polycount Packs, just 3 unlocks plus a hat) that I honestly think without a shred of narcissism would be excellent additions to the game. I even have some pretty neat (or at least okay) concept art for the modeling I want to do.

The big However... is that making unlocks for the Stickybomb Launcher and Grenade Launcher that operate the same way, i.e. actually shoot explodables and reload, is far more difficult than making primaries and secondaries for other classes because of the goofy ways those models work. So, yeah, I probably won't be doing it after all.

By the way, I know that Valve makes the stats for weapons submitted through the contribution site. I also guess I should just call these "new weapons" instead of "unlocks" now that Valve has made it clear that they're not terribly interested in adding new achievements.

Anyway, on topic: I agree with Frozen's analysis of the Quick Fix and the Disciplinary Action, which are my two personal favorite weapons to come out in the Uber Update. They actually change the play styles of those classes in a noticeable, game changing way - the Medic radically so, the Soldier more subtly.

The Enforcer, the Family Business, the Eviction Notice, and the Liberty Launcher were totally phoned in (though I still use the Liberty Launcher because I still can't aim with the stock Rocket Launcher after three years).

Also, in case it wasn't clear by my aforementioned ideas for Demoman unlocks, I loathe the new direction the Demoman has gone, becoming a berserker class that is really only fun for the Demoknight himself, not for his team mates to play with or his opponents to play against.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
The thing is, I don't get what Valve's motivation would be for turning a game into this sort of grindquest. A subscription-based MMO, sure, but not a free game where the grind actually rewards you with free stuff you would otherwise have to pay for.
where the fuck is the benefit for getting kills with a strange minigun

what do you gain that you otherwise pay for

are you kidding me

is this a joke

am i getting trolled

jesus

Last edited by a moderator:

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
I think this video is relevant here. The thing is, I don't get what Valve's motivation would be for turning a game into this sort of grindquest. A subscription-based MMO, sure, but not a free game where the grind actually rewards you with free stuff you would otherwise have to pay for. Nor how a company who seems to "get" games better than other developers could make such a poor decision.

I don't think it was meant to be grinded, I think it was added more/less for the sole purpose of A) giving a reason to play certain stock weapons and/or B) Just a fun way to reward people who them as a way to show off the amount of kills they get...

Now if only I could get a strange Medi-gun or Kritzkreig that counts how much healing I've done.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
where the fuck is the benefit for getting kills with a strange minigun

what do you gain that you otherwise pay for

I'm talking about grinding for items in general, which Trotim says (and I agree, I think) was an attempt to keep people playing the game instead of getting bored and going off to play something else.

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
The big However... is that making unlocks for the Stickybomb Launcher and Grenade Launcher that operate the same way, i.e. actually shoot explodables and reload, is far more difficult than making primaries and secondaries for other classes because of the goofy ways those models work.

You mean when shit like this happens?

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I'm talking about grinding for items in general, which Trotim says (and I agree, I think) was an attempt to keep people playing the game instead of getting bored and going off to play something else.

Well if you reply to a quote about grinding strange weapon kills what am I meant to expect?

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
I can still play the game and have fun. I've started playing classes I don't normally choose. But much like boojum I don't really care anymore, nothing can surprise or anger me now.. as long as I can enjoy the game and people playing it I will still be around though.

Just a short detour outside the thread:
Models breaking apart like that is caused by animation blending. If bones in the grenade launcher with the same name also exist in another model that the player switches to. The animation in between can get messy as it is generated automatically.

The bones will try to move to their new position as fast as they can and more often than not it will look like the weapon just destroys itself for half a second.

So from a modeling standpoint it's a non-issue as it can't be dealt with.
Modeling a stickybomb launcher is just as hard as modeling a pistol replacement (in a technical sense).

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
Not to mention most if not all Unusual hats. Those things are just stupid.

Oh god, yes. As amazing as they are to the users who own them, they really fuck with gameplay. The ghosts and fire are particularly confusing.

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
Oh god, yes. As amazing as they are to the users who own them, they really fuck with gameplay. The ghosts and fire are particularly confusing.

fire has bugged me a little when I'm playing Medic/Pyro, but thats about it.

And the thread derails...
attachment.php

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
I dont mind the new stuff. It's a crying shame the pitch-perfect balance and silhouettes and everything are gone, but it hasnt yet killed tf2 for me. Maybe i just have bad taste or not wide enough experience, but it's still much more fun than any other game i've tried.

I joined after the sniper Vs Spy update though, so my opinion is invalid- i mean, perhaps if i'd played it back at the start i'd be hearkening back to the halcyon days with as much fervour as anyone else.

Doctor Paprika

L4: Comfortable Member
Apr 24, 2011
Modeling a stickybomb launcher is just as hard as modeling a pistol replacement (in a technical sense).

The problem, though, is that the Stickybomb Launcher has that stupid view model with one side invisible that's almost the mirror image of the world model.

Apologies for further derailing, Frozen.