Marooner's Bay

KotH Marooner's Bay A5a

OctoBlitz

Sabotage related, and Tak approved!
aa
Jan 15, 2016
Marooner's Bay - Why does this place smell like salmon?

Marooner's Bay is the koth map I first adopted and turned into Koth_fiesta, after a year away, I decided to give this project more love and attention then I did when I first started mapping.

The base layout of the map is by @MaccyF as they were the original creator of the map before I adopted this project.

OctoBlitz

aa
Jan 15, 2016
This is some feedback of things i noticed. No idea how it plays in a pub or whatever you are going for :p The ground feels slightly slipery but barely noticable. Here is the album of feedback http://imgur.com/a/tevUx

Thanks for the feedback, allow me to try and explain some of the things I am deffinately going to fix in the next Version:

The small respawn room seen in image 1 is probably because I don't really make good resupply rooms for Koth, really need to make it better and have the ability to not be spawncamped.

Image 2 you pointed out the weird brushwork, those ramps were originally block bullet clips for prop stairs that I removed due to issues with shadows on my map, thus they were turned into normal brushes until I found a compromise, will fix in next update.

Images 5 and 6 show major sightlines I have unfortunately overlooked by mistake, and I will be sure to add cover/ change enterences so it may cut off these sightlines.

As for the weird lighting in picture 3, I will be sure to try and fix it, however I do not know the cause of the issue, however I'm going to try and remedy this issue.

Finally the large ledge seen in the final image, I will be sure to lower the path, as well as make it friendlier for other classes.

Thanks again for your feedback, and please let me know if you see any more issues in the future.

OctoBlitz

aa
Jan 15, 2016
Special thanks to @Heroriks for pointing out the issues with my map to help me make this update possible!

Changes to Marooner's bay include:

Remaking both of the team's respawn rooms to try and alleviate possible spawn camping

Reworked routes prone to sniper sight-lines

Added a new route to each of the team's stairwell rooms for ease of flanking the other team. (if this change is too powerful, I am willing to change this route for the better.)

Removed the weird brushwork from before

Hope you enjoy this new version of my map!

Read the rest of this update entry...

Heroriks

L2: Junior Member
Aug 10, 2016
The Spawn looks pretty cool, i was spawned in blu spawn as red, this map could work for competitive. I could try to test it on tf2center when it becomes more polished (hardly any bugs + decent layout) Here is an album of what i noticed https://imgur.com/a/g3r8G

OctoBlitz

aa
Jan 15, 2016
Thanks again to @Heroriks for pointing out some more flaws for this minor update!

• Fixed Red being able to spawn in Blu's spawn room
  • Fixed texture errors on flank routes.
  • fixed control point outline texture
  • Added cover to flank route.

OctoBlitz

aa
Jan 15, 2016
The Spawn looks pretty cool, i was spawned in blu spawn as red, this map could work for competitive. I could try to test it on tf2center when it becomes more polished (hardly any bugs + decent layout) Here is an album of what i noticed https://imgur.com/a/g3r8G

Really not focusing on Competitive that much and rather polishing my first proper project up so it didn't go to waste. Plus I'm kindof out of the loop when it comes to competitive... *COUGH* *COUGH* AirRaid *COUGH* *COUGH*

Either way.
It would be neat if it got popular in a competitive scene...

Hipster_Duck

L2: Junior Member
Dec 20, 2015
20170920230539_1.jpg
So this is most of my feedback. Orange is what you see when you enter each door, as you can (hopefully) see from my bad drawing, the middle exit really doesn't flow very well (you almost have to do a U-turn (see cyan)). If the door for the middle exit was moved further away from the spawn I would definitely consider shortening the spawn courtyard.
Grey areas really have no reason of being there and are just useless, empty, space.
Light Green lines are excessively long sightlines (of course, don't just completely destroy snipers ability to do anything).
Dark Green area felt bland to me.
Pink areas I thought were great!
20170920230423_1.jpg

As from my previous screen, I really don't think this door needs to exist, the only time anyone used it was to see where it went.
20170920232454_1.jpg

Fairly simple, these pillars just get in the way.
20170920232659_2.jpg

Shortening this and removing the clip and pillars on top could be quite interesting to jump over as soldier.

OctoBlitz

aa
Jan 15, 2016
20170920230539_1.jpg
So this is most of my feedback. Orange is what you see when you enter each door, as you can (hopefully) see from my bad drawing, the middle exit really doesn't flow very well (you almost have to do a U-turn (see cyan)). If the door for the middle exit was moved further away from the spawn I would definitely consider shortening the spawn courtyard.
Grey areas really have no reason of being there and are just useless, empty, space.
Light Green lines are excessively long sightlines (of course, don't just completely destroy snipers ability to do anything).
Dark Green area felt bland to me.
Pink areas I thought were great!
20170920230423_1.jpg

As from my previous screen, I really don't think this door needs to exist, the only time anyone used it was to see where it went.
20170920232454_1.jpg

Fairly simple, these pillars just get in the way.
20170920232659_2.jpg

Shortening this and removing the clip and pillars on top could be quite interesting to jump over as soldier.

I agree with all but one of the feedback you left, and thats the lowered pillar.

Lets say a medic has just spawned and decided to go through the left most corridor to get to mid, well with the lowered barrier, he would neglect to notice the soldier pirtched on top of the fence and would immediately get picked off instantly.

As I really don't find that to be fun for the opposing team, I will either not be making that change, or I will be removing that barrier completely.

As for the rest of your feedback, I agree however the middle path is only like that due to the original being a huge sightline directly at the spawn of whatever team you're fighting against. I will see about implimenting these changes and many others in the next patch to this map.

OctoBlitz

aa
Jan 15, 2016
This update of Marooner's Bay includes the following changes:

General changes:
  • The start of Art passing the map to fit its given name
  • made dark rooms lighter
  • fixed patches for vital Health and ammo

Remade spawn rooms:
  • Removed 3rd exit due to lack of use
  • Added an additional spawn points for a total of 16 players per team
  • Moved Resupply lockers
  • fixed an issue regarding my use of clipping
Layout changes:
  • Broke up sight-lines by creating new buildings.
  • changed middle path from spawn
  • changed displacements slightly
  • Added cover on vital points on map near mid
NOTES: I have finally decided what I want most of the Art-pass to look like, however this will take some time, however bear with me because my first "Beta" map suffered from me knowing what the map is supposed to look like, but trying to work around that, meanwhile this time I am working on map first and Art-pass second. Also I just noticed that this map shares its name from a Splatoon 2 map... Heh heh, what a coincidence...

Special thanks to both @Hipster_Duck and those participating in yesterday's IMP test for giving feedback for me to update this map to the current version. :medal:

Last edited:

OctoBlitz

aa
Jan 15, 2016
This Update for Marooner's bay includes the following:

• Reworked the the layout for the map, to divert the "ring around the rosey" like gameplay
  • Added a building to house the control point and to provide cover
  • Enlarged the spawn rooms for aesthetics and for future detailing
  • Began to detail in some areas
  • Made the spawn courtyards smaller
Developer's notes: I have a good feeling with the current layout as I believe it will encourage flanking less than the previous version, I am currently considering the possibility of submitting this map for competitive play for even more feedback.

OctoBlitz

aa
Jan 15, 2016
People didn't notice the medium health packs on the map so I decided to double up for more health

Added hazard tape to make capture area a bit more obvious

Clipped roof above the cap

OctoBlitz

aa
Jan 15, 2016
Wow its been a while for this map to get some changes...

This update for Marooner's bay includes the following

Destroyed a massive sniper sight line at mid due to how much range sniper had in the previous versions
Got rid of the main flank path at mid
Started to detail the map more
Got rid of the overhangs around the main paths​

OctoBlitz

aa
Jan 15, 2016
you forgot the resupply lockers though

Don't worry, posting a patch right now that reimplement Red's resupply, dunno why they were missing, but they're back now and will be retested. I am also including some fixes to sightlines and new health and ammo for mid as well as removing a few areas not really needed...

should be out in about 10ish minutes

OctoBlitz

aa
Jan 15, 2016
Readded cabinets to red spawn

Added new health and ammo kits near mid (might move them closer to team spawns for more of an advantage to attacking teams)

Removed buildings to open up the path toward the flank towards mid