***Mapping Contest #7 Intel Room***

cornontheCoD

L420: High Member
Mar 25, 2008
dullestbulb, I don''t have a complete tutorial for you, but to help with lighting, look into point_spotlight and lightmaps on the valve wiki

Dec 25, 2007
Not sure about a tutorial: 9/10ths of good lighting isn't the technical details but knowing how to use light and shadow to achieve the look you want for a map. That said, I learnt a huge amount from just looking at the decompiled Valve maps and seeing where they placed their lights and trying to figure out why, and have got some brief notes and screenshots for that, but I've not really done anything with that yet; perhaps I should.

Pink_Panther

L3: Member
Dec 14, 2008
Well, added my entry into the fray. Unfortunatly the screenshots cant give the full effect I was going for.

http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?p=56523&posted=1#post56523

The map was going for a space station feel. The idea was something along the lines of a station controlled by the blue team thats being invaded by the red team.

intelroomcontest_pinkpanther_10001.jpg

(VelvetFistIronGlove is spot on with careful lighting. Its too easy to just flood a room with light. Makes everything look flat.)

dullestbulb

L1: Registered
Mar 20, 2008
Well, added my entry into the fray. Unfortunatly the screenshots cant give the full effect I was going for.

http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?p=56523&posted=1#post56523

The map was going for a space station feel. The idea was something along the lines of a station controlled by the blue team thats being invaded by the red team.

intelroomcontest_pinkpanther_10001.jpg

(VelvetFistIronGlove is spot on with careful lighting. Its too easy to just flood a room with light. Makes everything look flat.)
On the topic of lighting again, your map just seems to dark (at least from the screen shots). What would make it more futuristic and space-like is maybe some more blue neon lining the walls and corners. Maybe have em light up in a sequence on the floor leading you to the intel.

Pink_Panther

L3: Member
Dec 14, 2008
Nice laser effects! But, why the red chairs?

breaks up the blue. It needed some contrast.

as for the darkness: its because your looking at a very bright web page background. anything thats not white looks dark. When your in the map, its not dark at all. I agree on the moving lights, but that would have killed the computers to have it cycle entity lights on top of the one that turns on and off with the lasers. So, the compromise was having lighting come off the laser tubes and one other texture as well. One of my 'trademarks' (i guess you can call it that) in lighting is sublety, most people don't even notice most my lighting sources unless they specifically look/know how to loork for it.

Its a room that the screenshot doesnt do it justice. Your going to have to dl it in order to get the details (especially the sounds and moving items)

Last edited:

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
Ditched my standalone submission. Working entirely with my dad on a new one.

wip1.png

Not_Yet

L1: Registered
Mar 8, 2009
Ah damn, looks like i won't be working on this now. Really busy with other projects, damn.

Owlruler

L12: Fabulous Member
Dec 10, 2008
Rexy, I want the textues you used in you intel room, they look really nice. I also like your intel room rexy with the way hte things rise out of the ground and come in from the side.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Rexy, I get the feeling your submission is pulled out of a map you're making, so I wanted to note that you can build stuff on the moving platforms and then it floats there :p (I suppose you may have noticed and just yanked the nobuild for the submission, but anyway...)

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
lol, I'm not finished yet. I haven't worked on it for about two weeks... I'm close to finishing, though, so I will. >=O

Owlruler

L12: Fabulous Member
Dec 10, 2008
WOW!

That's very nice namesless but I must say, it looks very bright. Apart from the, it's a very nice looking intel area (not a room though since it's outside).

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Rexy, I want the textues you used in you intel room, they look really nice. I also like your intel room rexy with the way hte things rise out of the ground and come in from the side.

Sure thing! I'll submit them a while later with a post explaining the intended uses.

Rexy, I get the feeling your submission is pulled out of a map you're making, so I wanted to note that you can build stuff on the moving platforms and then it floats there :p (I suppose you may have noticed and just yanked the nobuild for the submission, but anyway...)

Actually, I didn't even think about that! That would be a sweet engineer trick though! Thanks for the heads up.

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

L10: Glamorous Member
Apr 12, 2008
Youme: Since we must submit an entry before Friday the 20th (mean the latest is at 11:59 on Thursday night), and I won't be finished with my finals, thus able to begin, until the 19th, what time must we have the entries in by? 11:59 on the 19th your time, or ours?