***Mapping Contest #7 Intel Room***

RavenStryker

Former Alias: †Blade†/Xi.Cynx
aa
Nov 25, 2008
I have to agree. I thought I had a good chance at this contest, then saw a couple that made me cuss because they were so nice.

I totally have to agree with you on this one, I thought I might have a good chance up until I saw about 3 to be exact that would win no problem.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
I totally have to agree with you on this one, I thought I might have a good chance up until I saw about 3 to be exact that would win no problem.

I'm not sure that winning a competition is a good reason to enter. Rather, that it's meant to provoke thoughtful entries that are products of effort and skill. Competitions like these should be meant to further your mapping skill, to learn from example and grow creatively. Entering to win is not as useful as entering to prove your worth as a map author.

For one thing, look now at all the entries we have, and how many really cool maps could be made from them, just because the contest inspired a group of people to work hard and create.

If winning is that important to you, then map some more, create more, learn more, expand your knowledge. If anything, then you can be proud and satisfied with your product.

Pink_Panther

L3: Member
Dec 14, 2008
I'm not sure that winning a competition is a good reason to enter. Rather, that it's meant to provoke thoughtful entries that are products of effort and skill. Competitions like these should be meant to further your mapping skill, to learn from example and grow creatively. Entering to win is not as useful as entering to prove your worth as a map author.

I think you may have misunderstood the meaning we were going for. Im pretty sure everyone pushed themselves to get more out of the map than one would normally have done. But, some of us sat back after we finished and realized that what we created was better than we had hoped and thought, 'hey, i think i have a chance at this one'. Winning wasn't the intent of the entry, just a gave hope as a byproduct. Besides, if you attach the word 'contest' to anything, then that hope always comes along too.

uma plata

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 20, 2009
Yea, I was just being facetious...I'm privileged to have had the chance to enter, for sure, and I did learn a lot

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Ok I've downloaded all the files with the exception of one (Omega's sent me to dud website, perhaps use the tf2maps.net upload service in future??) I'll include all of them in the vote though incase its just me who can't get to it.
Ever so slightly dissapointed in one or two people linking to websites with images in instead of images themselves, took me a while to figure out why I'd saved some .html files instead of the .jpg I was expecting, but I've got all the images downloaded now so all is good.

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
Much to my dismay I'm not going to include Fogold's entry in the vote, Incorrectly named file, with a space in it. Filenames can't have spaces in source, so it doesn't open. Sorry man I was just going to issue a notice of the incorrect filename so people didn't miss it when opening all the maps that will appear next to each other in the "create server" window, but since it doesn't open.. :(

On a lighter note, there are some fantastic intel rooms here, possibly the best turn out we've had for one of our contests, I hope it's a trend that continues!! :thumbup1:
Good luck to everyone, I'll have a vote thread up by the end of the day(lasting one week) so look out for that and a new contest will start on monday.

Fogold

L2: Junior Member
Jan 23, 2009
Ok I've downloaded all the files with the exception of one (Omega's sent me to dud website, perhaps use the tf2maps.net upload service in future??) I'll include all of them in the vote though incase its just me who can't get to it.
Ever so slightly dissapointed in one or two people linking to websites with images in instead of images themselves, took me a while to figure out why I'd saved some .html files instead of the .jpg I was expecting, but I've got all the images downloaded now so all is good.

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
Much to my dismay I'm not going to include Fogold's entry in the vote, Incorrectly named file, with a space in it. Filenames can't have spaces in source, so it doesn't open. Sorry man I was just going to issue a notice of the incorrect filename so people didn't miss it when opening all the maps that will appear next to each other in the "create server" window, but since it doesn't open.. :(

On a lighter note, there are some fantastic intel rooms here, possibly the best turn out we've had for one of our contests, I hope it's a trend that continues!! :thumbup1:
Good luck to everyone, I'll have a vote thread up by the end of the day(lasting one week) so look out for that and a new contest will start on monday.

Don't mind at all, it was a bit rushed anyway. I completely forgot about the use of underscores in maps. I'm actually a bit glad that you took it out, because I indeed was a little underwhelmed with my result. Either way, good luck to everybody else. :)

Sep 12, 2008
Damn I didn't make it! I worked one month on my intel, not hard enough I guess.. :bored: Well, good luck to all the people who did finish their entry in time.. I saw some real nice ones there! :thumbup1:

DBP

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Oh yes, two other people named theirs differently, abbatoir's is "submerged.bsp" and sgt frag's is "irc_sgtfrag_2.bsp"
Make sure you see those two as well (I missed them first time around because they use a differing name to what I asked for)

uma plata

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 20, 2009
Oh yes, two other people named theirs differently, abbatoir's is "submerged.bsp" and sgt frag's is "irc_sgtfrag_2.bsp"
Make sure you see those two as well (I missed them first time around because they use a differing name to what I asked for)

I went ahead and fixed the file name in my DL link...thanks again!

Owlruler

L12: Fabulous Member
Dec 10, 2008
wow, everyone sure went to alot of trouble this time. There are so many good entries I'm having trouble deciding on which to vote for.