Map Layout Constructive Criticism

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Stonefrog said:
Yar, here's a slightly revised version. I took a look at how Badlands curves player routes in response to how the Control Points are kind of offset to the left/right:

This is actually dictated by optimism issues rather than a choice for gameplay. Although it does, also, make for interesting gameplay mechanics. Generally it's used to restrict a players view and how much is therefor rendered at once.

Mar pretty much answered your question to me. You find certain sizes work/look better with the textures and props you have to work with, and changing the size of one thing will inevitably lead to a change of the local surrounding geometry.

StoneFrog

L6: Sharp Member
May 28, 2008
I'm trying to keep my map relatively squareish due to all the storage containers and railways that run through it. I already have the elevated, fenced-in area that separates the 2nd/4th CP from the middle of the map (the area where two semi-transparent tunnels can be seen under it) set perfectly so that you needn't render what lies beyond it, for the most part.

zpqrei

Theme Changer Extraordinaire
aa
Oct 19, 2008
This is an alternate layout I was pondering.

layout3a.jpg

I'm putting way too much thought into this, aren't I. :p Maybe I should just stick with the original plan and see what happens.

For the center bit how about a granary style thing?

TF2_Granary_Map.jpg

StoneFrog

May 28, 2008
Please visit TF2Wiki.net indeed! :)

I'm thinking something like that, the real problem however is I'd need to also put some train tunnels or cranes so it doesn't just look like some totally random place to put storage containers. It has to at least look like there's a way they even GOT there besides falling out of the sky.

StoneFrog

May 28, 2008
The S pattern sure is getting popular
As are payload maps and the alpine environment. You gotta cut us some slack at one point! :p