Mann Manor

CP Mann Manor Final release

Chemical Alia

L2: Junior Member
Jul 22, 2010
I have a few suggestions, in terms of optimization and aesthetics.

2c7440db1af36931ade2549c97a80ac86g.jpg

It would be rare to never that a player would be viewing the bookcase from this upwards angle, and up this close. While you see this shape in wooden shelving a lot, I don't think that the inclusion of this lip adds any benefit to the look of the model, and removing it will save tris. And echoing a earlier remark, I think the shelf would look nice a little thinner as well. :)

Also, is that a chamfer on that book edge? Do they all have that? If so, I'd get rid of all of them and delete backfaces if you haven't already. Book stacks should also probably be one object and normal maps used to separate them if it needed, can't tell if that is the case or not from the screenshot.

36e89a1917807eccb2704a30b6cb263e6g.jpg

Big seam showing here.

table_01.jpg

And that's a freaking awesome table. I like the grey one the best, but the red paint on the other one isn't reading quite right to me. It looks like it has broad brush strokes that are recolored from the other, but the way it's faded looks like the paint would have been applied as a color wash. That could look really nice, and having it fade out where the table naturally gets more wear, (sort of like illustrated below), since right now it's not really following any believable wear patterns.

table%20(23).jpg

Last edited:

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
They're the same table, it's an effect of the phong shading + alpha mask. As for the seam...that's how wood cabinetry joins in actuality, I don't think it's an issue.

Chemical Alia

Jul 22, 2010
My bad, I meant to link to a separate image of another table as an example, oops. Edited my post.

I know that planks don't always line up in continuation of the grain, but the seam of that is quite noisy and my eye jumps right to it as a distration.

What Is Schwa

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 13, 2008
You're about as useful as a tongueless lesbian.

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Yeah I see that seam does look odd, but that is exactly how a bookshelf might be made.

(I also, incidentally, have a father who has made wooden furniture in the past, though he quickly focused on wooden pens after finding furniture not to his liking)

Chemical Alia

Jul 22, 2010
Yeah I see that seam does look odd, but that is exactly how a bookshelf might be made.

(I also, incidentally, have a father who has made wooden furniture in the past, though he quickly focused on wooden pens after finding furniture not to his liking)

My point wasn't so much whether it's right or wrong, but how it looks, and how it reads.

(Lol, weird, my dad is a contractor.)

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Aha perhaps there's some magical force that aims kids of craftsmen towards mapping and modeling.

I wasn't really providing an opinion either way, I'll prod rexy and if he has time I'm sure he'll tweak it so it looks less discontiguous.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I think the real issue is that even though a bookcase may be made that way, it is just close enough to being seamless that it looks off. If it were closer to being seamless but wrong people wouldn't care, and likewise if the grain was even less aligned I imagine it may look more natural. What it looks like now is that one of them is 8 units off. I dunno. Maybe it also looks odd because of the repeat on other shelves with different books.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Aha perhaps there's some magical force that aims kids of craftsmen towards mapping and modeling.

I wasn't really providing an opinion either way, I'll prod rexy and if he has time I'm sure he'll tweak it so it looks less discontiguous.

Agreed, and it's not like I won't fix things that people bring up, it's that's there's still so much to do--it's a matter of priorities at this point.

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
You know what all your fathers would like to see? This. Finished.

Don't let the old men down.

johndo

L1: Registered
Aug 9, 2010
I think the real issue is that even though a bookcase may be made that way, it is just close enough to being seamless that it looks off. If it were closer to being seamless but wrong people wouldn't care, and likewise if the grain was even less aligned I imagine it may look more natural. What it looks like now is that one of them is 8 units off. I dunno. Maybe it also looks odd because of the repeat on other shelves with different books.

I agree on this. This is the reason why it's being concerned. If you're fixing this, either get the texture of that poly to line up with the other poly like you did with the top trim you have of the bookcase or move it's uv around so that it doesn't feel like they are supposed to line up. The texture on that poly resembles so much to the wood grain of the other.