Make terrain props cast shadows properly?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by dryerlint, Mar 28, 2016.

1. dryerlint

dryerlint L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hello! I just started learning about mapping a couple days ago, and this is my first forum post, I apologize if this post is against the rules.

So my first map (KOTH) is coming along pretty well, it doesn't look very good but I'm happy with it! I used a bunch of prop_static boulder entities to make the walls. You can see one of the walls here:
    [​IMG]

On the left is a small building I made with the brush, and up close it looks alright: [​IMG]

But then, on the right, you see one of those boulder static props. The lighting/shadow near the bottom is all messed up:
    [​IMG]

Is there any way I can fix this? I see valve maps using these boulders and wonder how they did it...

Thank you guys!

2. iiboharz

aa iiboharz Meme Queen

Positive Ratings:
    If you're just getting into mapping this should be no big deal at first. There's probably some light-bleeding happening and there's not much you can do to avoid it until you do a proper lighting compile.

3. dryerlint

Positive Ratings:
    Alright, so I should ignore this until I'm ready to do a "final compile" of the map?

4. iiboharz

aa iiboharz Meme Queen

Positive Ratings:
    Ignore it at least until you want the map to be presentable, yes.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. dryerlint

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks for the help!