Inset windows - any tips?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by AsG_Alligator, Aug 13, 2016.

1. AsG_Alligator

aa AsG_Alligator trigger_hiss

Positive Ratings:
    So up untill now I've been avoiding using inset window models from props_2fort and been using windows from props_coalmines (to ones that don't remember the difference - 2fort window models are inset into the wall forcing you to cut a hole out in the wall to place them correctly while coalmines windows can be placed on any flat wall without any changes to the wall itself).

Any of more veteran TF2 mappers have any tips on good use of these inset windows?
    Because I feel like I'm butchering it here:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. TMB

TMB Banned

Positive Ratings:
    I think you always have to do that, basically depends of what kind of windows you want, i recommend you that if you are going to use a window you must watch an official tf2 map to see how they use them...

3. Vel0city

aa Vel0city func_fish

Positive Ratings:
    It's perfectly fine as you described it. Window frames that look like they should be inside a brush go there, the Sawmill windows stick out.

4. AsG_Alligator

aa AsG_Alligator trigger_hiss

Positive Ratings:
    I'm a little worried when using 2fort windows because of visleaves tho.

5. Dr. Orange

Dr. Orange L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    You can put a hint brush inside the hole, and it will just create an extra visleaf inside the hole, but the rest will act as if there wasn't a window there.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    It's still better than some of the windows in Badwater, which are literally just floating in front of the brush face because they forgot to cut the holes out first. (Seriously, look at the orange building on the right between A and B sometime.)

• Funny Funny x 1