How to make meme maps (highertower, turrrbine etc.)

◤Bl4ke◢

L1: Registered
Mar 29, 2018
Originality i believed that i could go to decompiled valve maps and simply edit them but they never compile right because i guess they aren't meant for compiling. So when ever i did it would be a big mess of missing textures. Ive been wanting to make a meme for degrootkeep, tilting it 45 degrees. if anyone could help me with this it would be a big help

Whomobile

L2: Junior Member
Feb 28, 2016
I strongly recomend you don't make a "meme" edit of an existing map, that ships well sailed off at this point. It was funny last year for awhile but it got old fast and making a tilt edit won't be received very well.

Degroot Keep probably isn't the best map to make an edit of. Theres a reason why a lot of exaggerated maps used Turbine and Hightower, it's because they're simple to edit (I'm the creator of turrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrbine, it was mostly a copy paste job). Rotating Degroot Keep 45 degrees may seem easy and quick idea for a "meme" map but it's not very orignal or funny and i'll give you more trouble to make than it's worth.

IF you STILL want to make this, then I'm guessing by "big mess of missing textures" you're talking about the skybox. That means the map has a leak. to help find it you should load a pointfile: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Leak#Finding_leaks . Find where the leak is and seal it and it should compile properly or find a new leak, I think you'll be playing leak hunter for quite awhile. If you're talking about black and pink checkerboard missing textures then I don't know what you've done :v.

grtgmzlol

L2: Junior Member
Sep 29, 2017
Why not make your own meme maps (like not a copy of a valbe map)

goem

L3: Member
Sep 15, 2016
If you want to make a medieval meme map you should make an original map, or at least make significant creative to DeGroot

Nov 28, 2017
>45 degree degrootkeep

The point of meme maps aren't to make wacky weird maps that everybody finds funny for like a second, its to push the boundaries of our sanity in utilizing the source engine for our disturbing ideas. Hightower? How about Highertower? 2fort? How about 3fort? Turbine seems quite short, lets make it 10 times longer. My joke map, ctf_hydro, is the maliminigination of the worst gamemode in the worst map (I wish people played it more often tho).

Just making a 45 degree tilt of any map just doesn't sound fun. If I were you, I would just make degrootkeep like cp_standin where you need to capture three points at the same time to win, or remove the melee restrictions (someone probably did that already tho).

Also the decompiled maps are kinda broken, so you either need to fix those problems or try to find a fixed vmf.

goem

L3: Member
Sep 15, 2016
> The point of meme maps aren't to make wacky weird maps that everybody finds funny for like a second
> *makes ctf_hydro*

Nov 28, 2017
> The point of meme maps aren't to make wacky weird maps that everybody finds funny for like a second
> *makes ctf_hydro*

ctf_hydro is cool in the way that you could check out the whole map and go through everything with open doors and all.

G.bo

L4: Comfortable Member
Sep 24, 2017
Personally, I've had a few good ideas for meme maps outside of distorting other maps. I would list them here, but I have concern that those would be taken in next year's April Fools contest, for better or for worse. Regardless, I think I have a few ideas on how to help you create an original meme map.

Step 1: Brainstorming
First off, you gotta think outside the box. Don't just think brushes: think funcs and triggers. While I haven't made an actual meme map yet, the two ideas that occurred to me seemed like decent ideas that I hadn't seen used yet. I'd say the best way (in my opinion) to try and do something is to try not a force it: ease into a mindset where you aren't worrying too hard on how used the idea is. Once you have an idea, it's on to step 2 for you.

Step 2: Working Hard (or hardly working)
Now that you have even a fraction of an idea to work off from, you either need to base your map around that idea, or work your idea into your map naturally. Let's look at Trainsawlaser for example. When Crash originally made that map, he started with a pretty basic viaduct layout that he found enjoyable. After some time, he started working in trains, saws, fire, lasers, and tons of hazards all around the map for the gimmick to stick well; and let me tell you, it stuck well. However, that only goes into working it in after your map has been made. For working it in right off the bat, we'll look at Dog3, another meme map that has some recognition in the community. When Another Bad Pun worked on that map, I assume they started their map with the knowledge that it was going to use Minecraft textures and the gimmicks that play into the joke. Anyway, my point is that you should think well about how you will put your idea into the map itself.

Step 3: Trial and Error
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Sun Tzu said that*, and he knew a thing or two about war. When something goes wrong with your map or if you simply don't know where to go with it, don't be afraid of changing the idea. If there's anything I've learned from mapping, it's that you can't get too attached to something: if it has to go, it has to go. That isn't to say you can't rework things to get similar effect: all I'm saying is that if you can't do it with your current situation, sometimes it's easier to just remake it from scratch.

*Sun Tzu did not say that: it was William Edward Hickson

Anyway, I hope this helps you at all.

◤Bl4ke◢

Mar 29, 2018
well thank you all for your replys but i think im good when it comes to making joke maps. Ive decided to start work on a collection of medieval versions of some maps, starting out with 2fort.ctf_2castle is in development as we speak. coming next will be cp_stonebowl.

◤Bl4ke◢

Mar 29, 2018
well thank you all for your replys but i think im good when it comes to making joke maps. Ive decided to start work on a collection of medieval versions of some maps, starting out with 2fort.ctf_2castle is in development as we speak. coming next will be cp_stonebowl.
hah, I tried, don't have close to the mapping knowledge to map that big, cool consept I'd like to see crash or freyja do but hell if I can do it.

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
Editing fully made maps is harder than starting a smaller scale project from scratch. There's a lot you're going to be missing knowledge wise trying to jump into the deep end like that.

Learn to crawl before you run.

G.bo

Sep 24, 2017
Ive decided to start work on a collection of medieval versions of some maps, starting out with 2fort.ctf_2castle is in development as we speak. coming next will be cp_stonebowl.

I know you've stopped work on this stuff, but I would like to say that you somewhat inspired me to do something along these lines. I was looking through the list of official decompiled maps, and I remembered Hydro existed, and I thought to myself, "What if this were medieval?" So, with my basic Hammer Editor knowledge under my belt, I'm going to try to reskin the map into tc_hylands (I thought about combining degroot and hydro name wise, but I think hylands flows way better and keeps it somewhat original.) This is probably going to take a while to not only retexture, but also to replace props with other props and brushes, add in some medieval touches (arrow lighting fires, medieval mode itself/figure out how to make a custom medieval mode banlist), and generally figure out how well this map actually will be to play.

Nov 28, 2017
I know you've stopped work on this stuff, but I would like to say that you somewhat inspired me to do something along these lines. I was looking through the list of official decompiled maps, and I remembered Hydro existed, and I thought to myself, "What if this were medieval?" So, with my basic Hammer Editor knowledge under my belt, I'm going to try to reskin the map into tc_hylands (I thought about combining degroot and hydro name wise, but I think hylands flows way better and keeps it somewhat original.) This is probably going to take a while to not only retexture, but also to replace props with other props and brushes, add in some medieval touches (arrow lighting fires, medieval mode itself/figure out how to make a custom medieval mode banlist), and generally figure out how well this map actually will be to play.

Good Luck you magnificent bastard. Though be careful since the map is very prop heavy and you would have to use a model editor to make some props medieval (the satellite control point)

G.bo

Sep 24, 2017
Good Luck you magnificent bastard. Though be careful since the map is very prop heavy and you would have to use a model editor to make some props medieval (the satellite control point)

Funny thing: The first point I started retexturing was that point, and I simply replaced the satellite with the tower roof prop and it actually seemed to work almost perfectly. I still do have the issue of nature blend textures not liking to pair well with others (I'll probably see how they do it on degroot and figure out how I can get that through hyland.) The control point func_detail (which is what I assume you're talking about) was easy to retexture, but I don't think I have to worry about editing the model since it works fine as it is right now.

◤Bl4ke◢

Mar 29, 2018
Funny thing: The first point I started retexturing was that point, and I simply replaced the satellite with the tower roof prop and it actually seemed to work almost perfectly. I still do have the issue of nature blend textures not liking to pair well with others (I'll probably see how they do it on degroot and figure out how I can get that through hyland.) The control point func_detail (which is what I assume you're talking about) was easy to retexture, but I don't think I have to worry about editing the model since it works fine as it is right now.
Never been more proud, congrats, and good luck on the beautiful map