How do you map?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by YM, Apr 27, 2011.

?

Do you use the 2D views?

1. I use the 2D views for all of my manipulation

51 vote(s)
    58.6%
  2. I only use the 3D view, ever

3 vote(s)
    3.4%
  3. I use the 3D view sometimes and the 2D views other

33 vote(s)
    37.9%
  1. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    I'm most interested in how those who don't use the 2d views at all go about it. so if you fall into that category, please comment

Clarification: I'm talking about brush manipulation, if you press X you can alter them in the 3D view. That counts as using the 3D view. If you're not doing that, you're not using the 3D view.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  2. Trotim

aa Trotim

Positive Ratings:
    ...both, obviously it depends on the situation, though I guess I really "use" the 2d views 75% of the time and then just check if it's okay in the 3d view

edit: basically, texturing and lightmaps, displacements, overlays in the 3d view - everything else 2d

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  3. Mr.Blob

Mr.Blob L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I map completely in the 3D view, but use 2D for clipping, vertex ect. - I dunno which section this falls under. - I do use both just the 3D view more often.

4. DJive

aa DJive Cake or Death?

Positive Ratings:
    Eh.. It's been a long time but i figured the topic hold true sooo.

2d all the way!

5. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Clarification: I'm talking about brush manipulation, if you press X you can alter them in the 3D view. That counts as using the 3D view. If you're not doing that, you're not using the 3D view.

6. Mr.Blob

Mr.Blob L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Oh yeah. I'm very much about ctrl -c ctrl-v and resizing blocks in the 3D view. :)
    That's only if they need no other manipulation. Hehe.

7. Jeremy

Jeremy L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    Mapping in the 3D view is really fiddly IMO.

8. sniprpenguin

sniprpenguin L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    2D views for brush placement and general manipulation, 3D views to quick place point entities and for texturing.

9. Trotim

aa Trotim

Positive Ratings:
    I'm not doing that then, at all. Is there any good reason for this

10. jpr

aa jpr

Positive Ratings:
    2d only. 3d doesn't really let you do anything that you couldn't do in 2d, and you have to constantly change the camera angle in order to move the brushes in right dimensions

11. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    I have an eee slate, I'd like to know how people go about using just the 3D view, because I know some people do. The eee slate has a small resolution so if I can use just the 3D view I can maximize space usage

12. ardysqrrl

ardysqrrl L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    2d for major blocking 3d for details

I imagine that's somewhat typical

13. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    I sometimes use the v-tool in the 3D view, but as Jonah mentioned it is pretty fiddly. Sticking to the 2d views helps avoid chances of creating invalid brushes.

14. Loc_n_lol

Loc_n_lol L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    I didn't even know you could use the 3d view for anything but selecting brushes, texturing, and applying overlays, and I still don't see myself doing it. Well I also use the 3d view to paste props and spawn other point entities, but that's it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Terwonick

Terwonick L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    me too

16. Jack Riguel

Jack Riguel L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    2D all the way. This is why I mostly dislike UDK. (also the part about needing to use meshes for damn near everything).

17. Mr. Happy

Mr. Happy L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I map in the 3D view mostly, guess I'm the odd one out. If you have "Arrow Key's Nudge..." set in the 2D view options it also applies to the 3D view and helps a ton.

I also do most of my brush manipulation and vertex manipulation even with free-look (Z) still active. I just fly around, select a brush, hit shift+arrow key to clone it, and can easily transform, translate, or even vertex manipulate it with the handles or the arrow keys.

I also use Ctrl+M for most of my rotations about the Z axis as it's quicker to hit Ctrl+M, Tab tab tab 9 0 enter than to align the camera or switch the view for the rotation and handles and risk deselecting.

18. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    I can't imagine using the 3D view

I briefly tried it when Seba gave me a vmf of a very small arena point a while ago and good lord it was terrible

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2011
  19. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    "How do you map?"
    WITH MY BARE HANDS I PULL A MAP FROM THE ETHER INTO EXISTANCE

Seriously,
    I basically do the brush manipulation in 2d, and entity/props placement in 3d. about it...

20. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    The only time I ever use the 3D view is to look at what I've made, and to do the initial placement of an entity (before I move it in the 2D view). I just feel more accurate in 2D.