How do I fix this bug?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by FrostHoneyJuice, Jun 28, 2015.

1. FrostHoneyJuice

FrostHoneyJuice L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    So what happened?

Yesterday, I was making a ceiling for my map, which probably looked like this:

[​IMG]

So today, I opened the Hammer and I saw that my ceiling doesn't look right:

[​IMG]

So, I have decided to fix those brushes, but unfortunately when I re-open the Hammer OR when I compile my map, the bug will stay there.

Any help?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  2. killohurtz

aa killohurtz Distinction in Applied Carving

Positive Ratings:
    Those brushes might be invalid solids, which are created when you try to make a brush concave or move a vertex so a face is no longer flat. Try bringing up the problems dialog (Alt+P) and see if it finds invalid solids - if it does, then remake the brush and be careful with your vertices.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Tumbolisu

aa Tumbolisu  I ⌄ I 

Positive Ratings:
    You can also create edges by selecting two vertecies (or two yellow dots that are in the centers of edges) and pressing Ctrl+F. You won't be able to revert that tho.
    Maybe that can help.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. radarhead

aa radarhead Hands out ratings like cheap cigars

Positive Ratings:
    You could also cut the brush into triangles, cutting between vertices, to avoid creating illegal solids.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    This confuses me too, because from the looks of things, that should be a valid solid. It's just a flat trapezoid at a 45 degree angle, isn't it?

6. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    well sometimes hammer is fucking up brushes which look like they should be alright. Captain_Clam's solution should help out in this case

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. MoonFox

MoonFox L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    I had this happen as well when trying to make an embankment, I ended up just using a block to fill in the whole (looks ugly to me, but C'est la vie)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    A better solution would be to make sure the corners are aligned correctly to start with. But I think I figured out what went wrong; it's the edge faces that are invalid, and fixing them could be tricky. What Valve usually does is pretend that 1.5 * sqrt(2) = 2 and make their 45-degree walls meet the straight ones on a 2:1 slant. If you did this, your proportions wouldn't be perfectly equal, but your corners should form a perfect straight line when viewed from above, which would be enough to ensure that your faces are valid.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. FrostHoneyJuice

FrostHoneyJuice L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Yup, that's just a trapezoid at 45 degrees, expect it's not flat.
    But seriously, how in the world Hammer thinks that this brush is not solid? It has all 6 faces and especially all vertex points aren't "crossing" each other. Just look it:

[​IMG]

At least this suggestion helped me the most:

I was going to start everything from 0, but I decided that I shouldn't give up and try my best to cut those triangles. I spent like 3 hours on this crap.
    Luckly, I made it through. Here is the result:

[​IMG]

Thanks everyone for your help!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Vincent

aa Vincent 🔨 Grandmaster Lizard Wizard Jedi 🔨

Positive Ratings:
    When in doubt cut into triangles, just remember that when you get a little crazy with angles and such.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Tumbolisu

aa Tumbolisu  I ⌄ I 

Positive Ratings:
    I prefer making tetrahedrons and then vertex editing them in the shape I want it to be. Tetrahedrons are the most valid thing you can get.

• Thanks Thanks x 1