How can I re-create this lighting?

ficool2

L4: Comfortable Member
Oct 28, 2017
I'm making a map while taking influences from other games, and this lighting especially caught my eye:
85Gmxso.jpg

It has some sharp shadow transitions and dark roof/corners lighting. This is the type of lighting I need in some hallways in my map, but the problem is I'm having trouble creating it. I messed around with light and light_spot properties and it resulted in a disaster. Maybe someone more experienced with lighting can help me somewhat re-create this lighting, thanks a lot.

Gorgonzilla

L3: Member
Dec 1, 2016
Sharp detail for shadows can generally be done using higher lightmaps, but this lowers fps, so be careful with it, and find a balance. You could use a combo of a light_spot and point_spotlight to create the circles on the floor, then add a 25-50 brightness light to give some light to even the darkest areas, as tf2 generally isn't very dark.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Have you tried making the inner and outer angles almost the exact same?

hutty

aa
Mar 30, 2014
Something to consider is vrad will bounce your light off bright floors quite a bit, you may need to edit the bounce properties of your floor material if its making the rest of the room too bright. Also bouncing will not be calculated at all of there is a map leak, so make sure you have no leaks when doing lighting work.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
You can inhibit the bouncing with the blocklight material. I used that one myself in a little poc that limits the number of switchable lights that hit each brush.

ficool2

L4: Comfortable Member
Oct 28, 2017
You can inhibit the bouncing with the blocklight material. I used that one myself in a little poc that limits the number of switchable lights that hit each brush.

Doesn't blocklight contribute to the brush limit? The map I'm making is packed nearly to the max with brushes, (and I did use Propper to get rid of what I could) and placing those everywhere would quickly result in full brush limit if blocklight contributes to it.

EDIT: Actually this $reflectivity parameter exists. Does the same trick but much cheaper

http://www.nodraw.net/2011/02/reflectivity/

Last edited: