GPuzzle

L9: Fashionable Member
Feb 27, 2012
Can cancer cause more cancer?

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Well, I went ahead and took my chances on this one after verifying (through a Google search, because for some reason NewEgg doesn't list it) that it comes with a two-year warranty. Wish me luck.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I had a seagate drive back in the IDE days back when they had a really bad rep by hardware elitists. I had no idea at the time, it was actually bought as a built PC (it was my first). When a technition said i shouldn't bother with seagate after he had a look at it (the power went) because they always die days after their warranty. I then informed him the 1 year warranty passed 4 years ago and it was still going fine.

People seem to base brand loyalty on the quality of the batch they get which is nonsensical. Every company has good and bad batches and is one of the main reasons there are warranties in the first place.

I've bought both AMD and Intel (another popular brand war) and couldn't really care much about brand, only the performance.

See the stats, buy insurance or an extended warranty if you're paranoid.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Well, the good news is that it wasn't DOA. Now it's just a matter of hoping nothing will go wrong once I start putting important stuff on it. I've already moved about half of my Steam library onto it (I left BioShock 2 and Fallout 3 where they were, because I'm afraid the uninstall/reinstall process will cost me a GFWL activation).

I read that this particular line (WD Green) does a stupid thing where it always parks the head after only a few seconds of non-use, which tends to cause early death somehow. So I may go grab and install the hack that stops it from doing that, once I'm done fooling around.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I've given up on GfWL. It's a shame i can't cross match-make with people who have old versions of Dawn of War 2, but that networking software is a pile of arse and sometimes even crashes my network.

The damn thing farts itself to death if you don't have a manually sync'd MTU setting on your router/modem.

Terwonick

L6: Sharp Member
Aug 25, 2010
(though obviously they are all kinda bad because capitalism, but they're almost all equally bad!)

I still like this guy!

EDIT: to be relevant to the topic, I'd like to say that I got a 500gb Seagate HD 2 years ago that has had no problems to this day. Maybe that's just me.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
All the hdd manufacturers I used to buy from have been eaten by the 3 remaining giants.
But it doesn't matter because they still produce the same things, in the same locations, like they have for the past decades. It happens when all companies consolidate down into fewer and fewer manufacturers.

The actual brand name means very little. As all the parts inside the drives are identical, produced by the same machines in the same locations, just labeled with a different company name.

So to answer the original question: if one is ass, then they're all ass. As they're all virtually the same company at this point.

GPuzzle

L9: Fashionable Member
Feb 27, 2012
That's like saying that TF2 is like COD. After all they're both FPS games.
There might (or probably will) be some major changes who make them different. But in the roots, they are almost all the same.
Considering those major changes is key to buying hard drives. If one of them is ass in your opinion, then its atributes will be considered when buying the hard drive. If you don't consider these atributes, then you are risking yourself to buy an hard drive that you will consider an ass.