Hammer ERROR!

Phenol

L1: Registered
Jan 13, 2013
Actually, I had a very similar problem with one of my maps. The actual error was more similar to a leak -- there was a brush outside the map. Deleted that, and it was fine.

For further reference, this was what was causing a map to 'not update' and to only compile old .bsps of a .vmf -- because it's not actually compiling the .vmf, and hence never updates the .bsp.

-_Cls-_-Spike_-

Jan 24, 2013
Can i just give someone my map and have someone look at the problem? Please cause i deleted alot and i still get that error...

Sep 7, 2012
You have too many brushes in your map. This is why it does not compile into a .bsp. Then, when hammer tries to run vvis and vrad, there is no .bsp to add information to, and so you get that error. Reduce the number of brushes and your problem will be solved.

Look for this line in the compile log:

Brush 8195: nummapbrushes == MAX_MAP_BRUSHES

-_Cls-_-Spike_-

Jan 24, 2013
Okay well apparently I'm doing this all wrong, this map was 50 blocks longer and that same error occurred....... i deleted the structure and it has the same error!

My other map that was 50 blocks longer said: Brush 8195: nummapbrushes == MAX_MAP_BRUSHES
I deleted that structure and it says : Brush 8195: nummapbrushes == MAX_MAP_BRUSHES

THE SAME THING, so what do i delete cause apparently me deleting things isnt changing the nummapbrushes == MAX_MAP_BRUSHE

Jan 8, 2011
I was feeling unprecedentedly generous, so I went ahead and opened that up.
ibl8S31.png

To put it simply, that map is way too huge to ever work. I can't really browse it properly, because I haven't got the textures, but there's way too much stuff in here to ever fit. Some of the brushes can be combined into bigger ones, but I get the feeling that they're clipped for textures, and therefore can't be combined. The map itself is a whopping 12,100 x 5,700, which might be alright for a real map, but is absolutely out of the question for something with so many tiny brushes.

If you made this map yourself in Minecraft, keep your mapping talents there separate from TF2. Maybe make a PvP map or something. But this will not work in TF2, and chances are that few to no imported maps will. If your heart is absolutely set on a Minecraft trade map... well then learn Hammer and imitate MC's style in a way that won't beat the living shit out of the engine.

EDIT: Also, the layout makes no sense. Why is there so much shit floating in the sky?

Sep 7, 2012
That's because 8195 is where you run out of brushes. You've got to delete ALL the brushes in excess of the 8194th one in order for it to compile.

-_Cls-_-Spike_-

Jan 24, 2013
I was feeling unprecedentedly generous, so I went ahead and opened that up.
ibl8S31.png

To put it simply, that map is way too huge to ever work. I can't really browse it properly, because I haven't got the textures, but there's way too much stuff in here to ever fit. Some of the brushes can be combined into bigger ones, but I get the feeling that they're clipped for textures, and therefore can't be combined. The map itself is a whopping 12,100 x 5,700, which might be alright for a real map, but is absolutely out of the question for something with so many tiny brushes.

If you made this map yourself in Minecraft, keep your mapping talents there separate from TF2. Maybe make a PvP map or something. But this will not work in TF2, and chances are that few to no imported maps will. If your heart is absolutely set on a Minecraft trade map... well then learn Hammer and imitate MC's style in a way that won't beat the living shit out of the engine.

EDIT: Also, the layout makes no sense. Why is there so much shit floating in the sky?

Because if you upload it through SourceCraft it wont add it in, it cuts it off, so we put it in the sky and going to have skyboxes around all of em.

So in TF2 we can Noclip to them or use the portals

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
1. You should have added the skyboxes before you tried compiling

2. Were the floating zones meant to be not physically connected to the main area, because if they were you could have just selected them and dragged them to where they were designed to be

3. Why is this on a 50-unit-to-block scale; even 48 is slightly overscaled but at least it's easy to work with

4. The trees should be props, at the very least

5. The bottom few layers could stand to be optimized severely

6. Why is the ground covered with these random blocks that are not connected to anything or part of the ground

7. Even if you fixed all that, we still have a map that's horribly unoptimized and no amount of fudging will fix that; you need to learn a few things about mapping for the Source engine before you're qualified to produce a finished product this large for it

8. I still don't have a problem with Sourcecraft itself or its results, so long as it's used by people who understand a thing or two about Source mapping and, above all, grasp that it's only the second step in a long, involved process

Fish 2.0

L6: Sharp Member
Nov 22, 2012
I don't think it will be possible to get that thing running.

It reminds me of carving.

And we all hate carving.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
While we're on the subject, if you took a map that had hit its brush ID limit and got rid of enough brushes, would copy-pasting everything into a new map reset the IDs so you'd be under the limit?

-_Cls-_-Spike_-

Jan 24, 2013
Okay so I just completely redid the map and started fresh and i got it to save to a .bsp
But now when i built the cube maps and did the commands to build em in TF2, then copied the file in my tf2 maps folder and pasted it to the severs maps folder when players join they see the pink & black checkered boxes.....

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Did you remember to pack in the custom materials and textures?

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
Is the pink and black checkerboard on all of your custom textures or just places with reflective surfaces like glass?

If the former, you need to pack your materials properly.

If the latter, you are building cubemaps wrong.

edit: 666 posts, never posting again. |m|

Jan 8, 2011
You are not a man of your word, Crash.
jtNWPLc.png

-_Cls-_-Spike_-

Jan 24, 2013
How would you properly compile your textures??
I pressed F9 and let it save and the build the cubemaps in the console

Jan 8, 2011
Let me explain these things.
Textures and models are stored locally; everyone has the standard TF2 ones. However, if your map uses custom textures (as this one does), it is necessary to "pack" those files with the download. Essentially, this packages all of the content that people need to download (map, textures, models, etc.) into one file, which is then downloaded and automatically installed by the game. Fortunately, there's lots of useful tools to make packing quick and easy.
Here's how to do it with Pakrat.