Halloween Maps

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
Are there a guild on Halloween maps and how to set them up. or is there a prefab? Also i am having trouble with my map. Like my windows are bugging out. How do i change the the sky itself. I have the light environment and that only changes the lighting of the map.
20170818195221_1.jpg 20170818195300_1.jpg

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
Your area portals are broken.
Okay

Is this a decompiled Valve map?
It's cp_powerhouse but I am creating it into an event map. If Paul "puxorb" Broxup can make Gorge Event, I can make Powerhouse event.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
Making Halloween versions of valve maps is a fine old tradition. That said, be aware that decompiling a map breaks things in weird ways.
I have to fix the windows and the skybox. Also I want to learn how to put in the wheel of death. I have the pumpkin bombs in and the spells in.

ics

http://ics-base.net
aa
Jun 17, 2010
Also I want to learn how to put in the wheel of death. I have the pumpkin bombs in and the spells in.

You add entity wheel_of_doom and then give it a name. Fire Spin for it for example when point is capped.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
Making Halloween versions of valve maps is a fine old tradition. That said, be aware that decompiling a map breaks things in weird ways.
Why is it not frowned upon to make valve events maps but it is to change the gamemode? I would think that you would have to do more work in the non event maps because you have to talor to that gamemode. In event maps it's basically I big reskin with bosses, ghost, pumpkin bombs, and spells. I just don't see how one is frowned upon and the other is not.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
You add entity wheel_of_doom and then give it a name. Fire Spin for it for example when point is capped.
Is there any hard logic to do? Or do you just put that in and hook it up to the control point.

Viemärirotta

sniffer
aa
Feb 5, 2016
Why is it not frowned upon to make valve events maps but it is to change the gamemode? I would think that you would have to do more work in the non event maps because you have to talor to that gamemode. In event maps it's basically I big reskin with bosses, ghost, pumpkin bombs, and spells. I just don't see how one is frowned upon and the other is not.
Because event maps keep the original gamemode, lol.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
Not really, event maps aren't just a 'reskin'. There's a lot more to an event map than just chaning textures.
Okay, let's take a look at Gorge Event. What the creator added is skeletons, that area right behind the final control point and next to spawn. He replaced the props to fit in the Mann Manor style of building, textures rework. Annd opened up the roof of the building right after the first control point. Also I think there is spells and pumpkin bombs. Then there is the lighting and skybox. In total about 8 things changed or added. It's basically a reskin.

What I had to do for my maps where. I had to added new spawn exits, new area of the building to add the exits, change textures, added new props to block sniper sight lines, added new health and ammo packs, I had to rework the front of the map by dealting most of it so it would fit into the new gamemode, I had to open the map up for new forms of routs and building, new lighting, and then the control point themselves.

I had to change 10 things in my map. I had to modify the map much more to fit the new gamemode.

Last edited:

Viemärirotta

sniffer
aa
Feb 5, 2016
Look, turning valve maps to halloween versions have been going on since the early years of TF2. While as turning official gamemode maps to other gamemodes isn't really. Who says you couldn't do just that, but splitting an asymmetrical layout made for an asymmetrical gamemode then making it symmetrical doesnt suddenly make it good. Perhaps the original layout was good, but is the "new" one on the same level under the changed gamemode?

Mar 23, 2013
Why do you suddenly bash other maps anyway? Especially when bashing them for something you want to do yourself?
And if it's more fair, I dislike both ways of re-using existing maps. Why not try making something from scratch?

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
Why do you suddenly bash other maps anyway? Especially when bashing them for something you want to do yourself?
And if it's more fair, I dislike both ways of re-using existing maps. Why not try making something from scratch?
I never said that his map was bad. I love Gorge. Both maps are great. I didn't say that I hated Halloween maps. I just saying it's a reskin of a map. I don't hate reskins. I just think creating a new gamemode for an already map it's hader and it takes more work.

ics

http://ics-base.net
aa
Jun 17, 2010
Making a halloween map is a lot more work than people think it is. I can say that with personal experience. It's not just putting in bosses, bombs and other kind of halloween things. Thats just a fraction of it. With maps that already exist, thats more easier task because usually they have been tested and the layout and gameplay is proven to be working, Even then, it needs to be adjusted here and there to make things work more fluently.

Infomaniac

L6: Sharp Member
Nov 29, 2015
It's not just textures, it's props, logic, lighting, skybox, bosses, the list goes on! plus, you have to test it constantly to make sure it fits the halloween spirit and such, it's not that easy, trust me.