Halloween Maps

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by FishyUberMuffin, Aug 18, 2017.

1. FishyUberMuffin

FishyUberMuffin War Paints Everywhere

Positive Ratings:
    Are there a guild on Halloween maps and how to set them up. or is there a prefab? Also i am having trouble with my map. Like my windows are bugging out. How do i change the the sky itself. I have the light environment and that only changes the lighting of the map.
    20170818195221_1.jpg 20170818195300_1.jpg

2. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    Your area portals are broken.

Is this a decompiled Valve map?

3. nesman

aa nesman oh god how did this get here

Positive Ratings:
    to change the skybox texture you have your map open > map > map properties - and there you will see a box called "skybox texture name" you then copy the one you want from HERE im using sky_hydro_01 custom skyboxes is different I havent experimented with them yet iirc

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. FishyUberMuffin

Positive Ratings:
    It's cp_powerhouse but I am creating it into an event map. If Paul "puxorb" Broxup can make Gorge Event, I can make Powerhouse event.

5. nesman

aa nesman oh god how did this get here

Positive Ratings:
    decompiled version of valve maps have broken area portals and you will have to recreate them.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    Making Halloween versions of valve maps is a fine old tradition. That said, be aware that decompiling a map breaks things in weird ways.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. FishyUberMuffin

Positive Ratings:
    I have to fix the windows and the skybox. Also I want to learn how to put in the wheel of death. I have the pumpkin bombs in and the spells in.

8. ics

aa ics http://ics-base.net

Positive Ratings:
    You add entity wheel_of_doom and then give it a name. Fire Spin for it for example when point is capped.

9. FishyUberMuffin

Positive Ratings:
    Why is it not frowned upon to make valve events maps but it is to change the gamemode? I would think that you would have to do more work in the non event maps because you have to talor to that gamemode. In event maps it's basically I big reskin with bosses, ghost, pumpkin bombs, and spells. I just don't see how one is frowned upon and the other is not.

10. FishyUberMuffin

Positive Ratings:
    Is there any hard logic to do? Or do you just put that in and hook it up to the control point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Viperi

aa Viperi 100% might be snake

Positive Ratings:
    Because event maps keep the original gamemode, lol.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. FishyUberMuffin

Positive Ratings:
    But you still put in more work then the event map.

13. ~curlysnail

~curlysnail L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Not really, event maps aren't just a 'reskin'. There's a lot more to an event map than just chaning textures.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. FishyUberMuffin

Positive Ratings:
    Okay, let's take a look at Gorge Event. What the creator added is skeletons, that area right behind the final control point and next to spawn. He replaced the props to fit in the Mann Manor style of building, textures rework. Annd opened up the roof of the building right after the first control point. Also I think there is spells and pumpkin bombs. Then there is the lighting and skybox. In total about 8 things changed or added. It's basically a reskin.

What I had to do for my maps where. I had to added new spawn exits, new area of the building to add the exits, change textures, added new props to block sniper sight lines, added new health and ammo packs, I had to rework the front of the map by dealting most of it so it would fit into the new gamemode, I had to open the map up for new forms of routs and building, new lighting, and then the control point themselves.

I had to change 10 things in my map. I had to modify the map much more to fit the new gamemode.

• Respectfully Disagree Respectfully Disagree x 4
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  15. Viperi

Positive Ratings:
    Look, turning valve maps to halloween versions have been going on since the early years of TF2. While as turning official gamemode maps to other gamemodes isn't really. Who says you couldn't do just that, but splitting an asymmetrical layout made for an asymmetrical gamemode then making it symmetrical doesnt suddenly make it good. Perhaps the original layout was good, but is the "new" one on the same level under the changed gamemode?

16. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    Why do you suddenly bash other maps anyway? Especially when bashing them for something you want to do yourself?
    And if it's more fair, I dislike both ways of re-using existing maps. Why not try making something from scratch?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. FishyUberMuffin

Positive Ratings:
    I never said that his map was bad. I love Gorge. Both maps are great. I didn't say that I hated Halloween maps. I just saying it's a reskin of a map. I don't hate reskins. I just think creating a new gamemode for an already map it's hader and it takes more work.

• Respectfully Disagree Respectfully Disagree x 2
  18. Viperi

Positive Ratings:
    Sure, but that's not the point of halloween maps???

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. ics

aa ics http://ics-base.net

Positive Ratings:
    Making a halloween map is a lot more work than people think it is. I can say that with personal experience. It's not just putting in bosses, bombs and other kind of halloween things. Thats just a fraction of it. With maps that already exist, thats more easier task because usually they have been tested and the layout and gameplay is proven to be working, Even then, it needs to be adjusted here and there to make things work more fluently.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Infomaniac

Infomaniac L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    It's not just textures, it's props, logic, lighting, skybox, bosses, the list goes on! plus, you have to test it constantly to make sure it fits the halloween spirit and such, it's not that easy, trust me.