Gamebooster - get more from your games

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Garner, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Garner

Garner L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I came across this free program a while ago when i had to RMA my Maximus II Formula motherboard due to a fault, and had to use my old PCworld bought computer. Going from a 3.6ghz quad w/ 4870 gfx to a 2.0ghz dual core with non-molex powered gfx was bad lol.

Its called Gamebooster. Link :http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html

Description

Its free, safe and was really helpful when i was on my lower spec'd machine. So it may help those here who also have lower spec'd machines and need a bit more performance.

Note: this also can be used / turned on before you compile maps (which is what i only use it for now) to give you near enough all of your resources to compiling.

Another tool i used to use on my old fail comp was TF2 Tweaker.

Link: http://1337.gameworldonline.be/tf2tweaker.php

Another safe tool that has alod of advanced options to tune your gfx settings ect further than what can be achived in Options/video ingame. When you run the tool and select what you want on and off, it saves alod of commands to your autoexec.cfg and can dramatically boost performance.

It needs .net framwork to work.

Description

All looks work on XP/Vista and all versions of Windows 7 (RC, RTM).

Hope these help a few people who need them.
    There both free to downlaod and distribute.

• Thanks Thanks x 5
  2. J4CK8

J4CK8 L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    Donloading them both now, though I don't neccesarily need it, may be helpful during compiles

3. psikobare

psikobare L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    i'm suspicious about magical softwares

4. J4CK8

J4CK8 L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    I tried it out, and as I suspected...nothing changed. Still only got around 30-50fps at times but my graphics did seem a little better.

5. Delusibeta

Delusibeta L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    The blurb for Game Booster is that they basically keep unnecessary processes (e.g. iTunesHelper) quiet while it's running, and then re-enables them when it's about to shut down. The tweaker looks like a config editor.

6. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    Tweaker is basically to really lower all unesicary graphics and physics settings to increse performance

7. martijntje

martijntje L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    see attachments. I have a little cfg that will dramaticly boost your fps.
    I normally have fps between 30 and 60 (depending on the action), with this cfg I get between 100 and 200 fps.

I play with normal settings, because it is just butt ugly with this cfg.

to use, place it in Team fortress 2/tf/scripts

then with tf2 open, open you console and type "exec lowq.cfg"

8. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    This didn't do anything for GTA IV, a game I have insane lag problems with, even on the lowest settings you can use. It might be from Vista doing some retarded wireless network search, but I haven't been able to find a way to turn it off entirely.

9. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    I used TF2tweaker once and it didn't help much. I lost the ability to see sprays, too.

10. owly-oop

aa owly-oop im birb

Positive Ratings:
    it's because GTA4 is horribly unoptimized

i get 60 fps in battle in tf2, highest settings, and i get under 20 in gta4 with medium

11. Nutomic

Nutomic L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    Tried the TF2 Tweaker, but found nothing useful, that would increase performance without loss in details.

Going to try Gamebooster too

You can restore your original settings in the programme, maybe that helps. Or you just delete your cfg files.

Edit: Just noticed, that TuneUp 2010 has something similar to Gamebooster, so I probably dont need that. I will see.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  12. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, I know it's badly optimized, but the weird thing is that it tends to switch between lagging and, well, not lagging. That means it can run decently on my computer, so there must be something interfering.

13. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Seems terribly... unhelpful. Wow, it stops a bunch of services that aren't even doing anything to begin with. So it's not like they were taking up processor cycles. Memory... well... little background apps don't take up much memory in comparison to the amount games devour and systems have to begin with.

I'm still on a single core system and I'm not about to bother with this. The dubiousness of it isn't helped by the fact that they have a severe lack of technical information about what exactly it does coupled with them using nonsense salesman-ese speak like "intensifying processor performance" :facepalm:

14. Terr

aa Terr Cranky Coder

Positive Ratings:
    Well, it's possible for badly-written stuff that doesn't use a lot of processor or memory resources to still cause problems, like Vista's wireless zero-config thing.

That said, I'll just open services.msc and do it myself, thanks.