Flipping Player

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Bean Bean Mr. Clean, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Bean Bean Mr. Clean

Bean Bean Mr. Clean L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I am making a map where I need the player to be walking, and if they enter a certain area they flip sideways as if they were walking on a wall. I saw a video of this, but it was for Portal 2 and it didn't explain how to do this. I need to do this for TF2, so is this possible or not?

2. Mikroscopic

aa Mikroscopic

Positive Ratings:
    Was it by chance a video of the scrapped sticky gel? That was probably something coded into the game but it went unused.

3. Bean Bean Mr. Clean

Positive Ratings:
    No, it was a video of this small test chamber. He walked to one side of the room and feel towards the wall. It wasn't the scrapped gel since he was pushed towards the wall. People in the comments said it was area portals, but I couldn't find anywhere else that said that area portal could do this.

4. Mikroscopic

aa Mikroscopic

Positive Ratings:
    It might have been world portals, not area portals. In portal 2 those are basically like your portal gun's portals except as part of the map, so they can link together separate parts of a map and make them look like one area. Do you have a link to the video in question?

5. Bean Bean Mr. Clean

Positive Ratings:
    I don't remember what the video was called because I watched it a while ago. I just remember it because it was very small.

6. hutty

aa hutty

Positive Ratings:
    sounds like world portal stuff, which TF2 cant do

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Izotope

aa Izotope Never releases maps

Positive Ratings:
    In singleplayer you can get away with more tricks than in multiplayer games.

8. Sandwhip

Sandwhip L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    a workaround to this may be to duplicate an area, flip it, and set up a teleport. Though i would imagine you want these people to be visibly walking on the walls, in which case you may be able to use a trigger_push to push them against the wall, although the player would have very little control over their movement.

9. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Hyperion

aa Hyperion L16: Grid Member

Positive Ratings:
    You could change the gravity direction by using point_servercommand to set sv_gravity 0 and have 6 trigger_push:es in your map with different directions. However you can't flip player view and it wouldn't change gravity per player.

This is somewhat relevant I think https://tf2maps.net/threads/how-to-rotate-player.33199/