F2P TF2 a very real possibility (Steam Registry)

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
I would be upset if it went F2P, because I think that once it does the acceptable quality of content goes down. There are all these F2P games and MMOs out nowadays, and the reason why they're F2P? Because they're not worth paying for.

That's totally not true. Perfect example: League of Legends.

If you want to talk about "acceptable quality of content", why not talk about Valve's haphazard tossing-in of items they've been doing for months in TF2. You know, because the quality of their updates totally didn't drop since the Engie update. It didn't take a F2P model for that to happen.

OR DID IT?! Thing is, when you look at TF2 now, it basically already has a F2P model - the only thing they haven't done is remove the price (ironically). But given that they give the game away for a couple bucks periodically, it comes with the Orange Box, and that it's super cheap, the price has been irrelevant for a while anyways.

They've just happened to do an awful job with their F2P TF2 model. The drop system and store pricing scheme is absolutely terrible compared to other F2P games I've played. The problem isn't that it's moving in that direction - because that train has already come and gone. It's how they've been executing it.

Last edited:

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
called it

why do I get flamed constantly when I say TF2 is as f2p as Spiral Knights but then this comes up and everyone goes "oh well f2p is totally fine too"

Retroid

L5: Dapper Member
Aug 25, 2009
I don't really see what it'll accomplish, TF2 is probably owned by 70% of people that atleast semi-regularly use Steam and most the others probably won't even be fussed... And I can't see many people getting Steam for it if they haven't before.

I mean we'll see, we'll see but I don't think it's going to change much or get much more popular.

Last edited:

Empyre

L6: Sharp Member
Feb 8, 2011
After you buy the game, isn't TF2 free-to-play already? WOW is an example of a game that is not free to play. Free and free-to-play are different things. I refuse to play a pay-to-play game, but I will, and do, pay to buy a game, with the expectation of not having to pay to play the game I already paid for.

REEJ

L420: High Member
Aug 26, 2010
TF2 going f2p would mean one thing to me - more people playing my maps, and that would be awesome.
I don't give a damn about hats economy
:O

TMP

Ancient Pyro Main
aa
Aug 11, 2008
And then... BOMBSHELL AT THE END

"Yeah, you know how we said it was a free to play week? This week will go on FOR THE REST OF ETERNITY AWWWW YEAH"

Terwonick

L6: Sharp Member
Aug 25, 2010
valve time:

"Yes, I'm Gabe Newell, and we still haven't gotten around to flicking the switch saying you have to pay to play Team Fortress 2... We can't tell you what we've been up to because when I look at Doug Lombardi he shakes his head at me."

-Gabe Newell E3 2012

Personally I think that a F2P system wouldn't be bad, just disable everything but the default weapons for people who don't pay.

Last edited:

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
valve time:

"Yes, I'm Gabe Newell, and we still haven't gotten around to flicking the switch saying you have to pay to play Team Fortress 2... We can't tell you what we've been up to because when I look at Doug Lombardi he shakes his head at me."

-Gabe Newell E3 2012

Personally I think that a F2P system wouldn't be bad, just disable everything but the default weapons for people who don't pay.

Since many of the unlocks are terrible i relish in the idea that noobs would use weapons like the eyelander over the stock weapons. When tits play demoknight it just means i have an easier time playing A/D maps as engineer or heavy.

Force players to use the stock weapons and the game might actually become less of a griefing competition.