Steff0o

L6: Sharp Member
May 31, 2009
that looks really cool :p

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
Uhh, you make me jealous. You make me jealous hard. You have to get this into a gameday. HAVE to.

surgeon

L1: Registered
Apr 5, 2010
copied and retextured the blue spawn, the screens should show the differences between them a bit clearer now. also added a catwalk across the middle point, it's an easy route from one intel room to the other but without the railings it's a lot easier to get knocked down.
also made the room next to the intel bigger, but i think some other rooms need opening up. depending how it plays i might add an outdoors area to each side.

ctfeuropaa20002.jpg

ctfeuropaa20003.jpg

ctfeuropaa20005.jpg

ctfeuropaa20006.jpg

Cerious

L420: High Member
Aug 10, 2008
You certainly have a knack for detailing. First picture there blew my mind.

surgeon

Apr 5, 2010
more or less finished the spawn, i might change the metal grate floor for glass though. also made the intel room bigger:

ctfeuropaa20010.jpg

ctfeuropaa20009.jpg

ctfeuropaa20007.jpg

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
You've erected the dispenser in my pants with those screenshots.

<3

TheTurnip

L2: Junior Member
Mar 2, 2010
I reeeeallly realllly want to play this map.

Looks amazing.

The best part from the screenshots is that it seems to still keep some TF2 styling. I love it.

Keep it up!

Aug 10, 2009
Great detailing, only a few comments/responses.

Comments- in the most recent screens, I don't thing the brown concrete floor (used under the grating with pipes) or the white metal texture (used in the ceiling) does the map justice. I like how you've got some interesting colors in for the lights, it does a good job of breaking up the white and greys. Back to those textures though, the map sets a really nice clean feeling, and I those textures (as well as the mop and bucket) kind of clash with that theme.

Response- Just back to what I said about the blandness, I meant as far as color goes. I said before that I like what you've done with the lights, they spice it up a lot which is good, but I only caution you not to make a white/grey/yellow/black map. (Hazard is the yellow)

surgeon

Apr 5, 2010
someone on the last page mentioned red dwarf, which is a slight influence in this map. the sets on that show actually had the same architectural style as moon - plain white/cream metal, diagonal corners to frames etc, but looked lived in so there was still trash or tools left about, which is what i'm trying to do. the other areas of the ship were also more industrial (i think they were all filmed in the same warehouse with crates and props moved about so it looked like a different room) which is how some of the other areas should look.

i don't like the concrete floor either, i'll probably replace it with glass with another sealed-off room underneath. i spent ages going through all the textures though, trying metal and even rock, but none looked right.
when you say the colours, do you mean there's not enough variety? i still need to get more blue and red in, but apart from a couple of overlays and props i still need to add/make, i think the lighting and current textures work well enough for defining the two teams for now.

thanks for the comments though, i'm going to put this up for the gameday on wednesday and see how it plays before working on anything outside the spawns.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Too many corridors and catwalks and not enough space to fight pretty much sums it up at the moment.

The intel room was sentry friendly, and players couldn't get a good assault going due to being trapped by walls etc. Quick defencive counter attacks would wipe any threat.

ctf_europa_a30002.jpg

Oh, and people had the tendancy to try and exit through this glass window. The safety glass would be more obvious to players that it's glass and non-passable.

sniprpenguin

L6: Sharp Member
Mar 14, 2008
In addition to what grazr stated, during the Gameday test Selentic kept managing to stickyjump out of the map through the hole in the top of the center. Playerclip that hole, I say.

Also, I run on a very low-end computer that technically can't even run Left 4 Dead. This isn't very important most of the time, but in this case the sky (which I'm guessing was supposed to be a lot of stars in space) just appeared to be black and white static. I'd take a hint from Valve's nighttime skies and put a lot less stars in there.

surgeon

Apr 5, 2010
Oh, and people had the tendancy to try and exit through this glass window. The safety glass would be more obvious to players that it's glass and non-passable.

whenever i use that glass in hammer, every single other texture keeps flickering to a much smaller, 45°-angled version of itself so i don't want to use those until it's a lot further along.

i'm already making it bigger, including a big outdoor area on each side.

E.B.

Mar 15, 2009
Looks like the way it is now, falling into the water with the intel causes the intel to sink to the bottom. I think it would be better if the intel worked like on doublecross, where once it falls into the pit of death, it returns to the base immediately. Right now it's like the intel's uncapturable for a minute which is even worse.

Also, there are some barrels in the blue spawn that have the purple/black checkerboard. The other barrels in the level itself were fine though.

Aaand your stairs need a playerclip so they act like ramps.

surgeon

Apr 5, 2010
started making some changes to the red side. widened a lot of corridors, turned the L and S shaped ones into bigger, square rooms, and added a whole new outdoor route from the middle right to the intel.

does the middle feel like it should be bigger? i think i'm going to add a floor to the middle of the bottom level instead of the huge drop. i already widened all the walkways around the middle by 64 units but at the moment there's nothing for people to do there.

green is the old rooms, pink is the new size/new route
ctfeuropaa40007.jpg

ctfeuropaa40001.jpg

ctfeuropaa40002.jpg

ctfeuropaa40004.jpg

ctfeuropaa40005.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2008
In my opinion, the sky looks too "real", and doesn't fit within the whole tf2 style. I like the rest of what I'm seeing though!

Timberjaw

L2: Junior Member
Nov 6, 2009
The sky is awesome, though I can see DBP's point.

On a somewhat meta note: is there a rationale behind allowing the players outside into the cold, airless void of space? Have RED and BLU been constructing cyborgs all along instead of recruiting human warriors? And yes, I am seizing on that issue specifically rather than Europa's 1/7 Earth gravity or 50K surface temperature.

"It's a cartoon video game" is of course an acceptable response. :p