Env_light problem

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Pocok, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Pocok

Pocok L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hi! I'm making a map, but theres a problem with the lighting. I made the map, the terrain, I put some prop_statics.

I1ve made a skybox, and an env_light in it too. And when I run my map everything's good except the terrain's lighting.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Why is that?

Thanks
    Pocok

2. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    Does the terrain act weird when you move, like change colours/brightness? Check that your terrain texture is not a prop texture. This is a common mistake.

prop textures begin with /prop in their texture name. /nature are good valid world textures.

3. Pocok

Positive Ratings:
    I've used nature/rockground002.

4. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    you probably added a model as a texture.

do you have a light_env?

5. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    Have you disabled the shadows on your props? That might be causing the funky darkness you have there..

6. Pocok

Positive Ratings:
    Do I have to disable the shadows all of the props on the map? Because I disabled the ones which are on the terrain, and nothing happened.

7. bob+M|M+

bob+M|M+ L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    like drpepper said make sure you have a light_environment entity, with pitch -80 for example. And are using the proper skybox texture? If you filter for "toolssky" and pick the 3D or 2D skybox, that's what you want.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    Post a compile log.

9. Pocok

Positive Ratings:
    I've used in the skybox a normal sky texture. But if I have to use that toolssky texture, then how can I change the in-game sky for TF2 like? I'll post a comlie log, just wait a few minutes :)

10. Pocok

Positive Ratings:
    ok, its solved. I had to change the skybox's texture to toolsskybox. Thanks

11. Sgt Frag

Sgt Frag L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    Well you asked how to change the sky if you use tools/sky tex so...

In the menu under file>map properties (is that right?, sorry, away from home PC)
    It will have a box that says sky texture. The name goes there.
    ------------------------

For future ref (anyone finding this thread) I was having a few issues with lighting yesterday so I'll add a list of things to check.

1: You should have ONE light_env. I know a skybox tut on this sight (which is a great tut btw) say to have one in your map and one in skybox, but that leads to a 'full bright' effect no matter how dim they are.

2:Some objects can cause big blobby black shadows. The barb-wire fence is like this. Best to have no-shadows. Might be possible to make shadows for the posts with no draw cubes, haven't tried yet.

3:NOT having ground in your skybox can let ambient light cast upwards on skybox terrain and make stuff look overlit or improperly lit.
    Even if the ground can't be seen it should probably be there to block ambient light anyway.

4: Using NO DRAW on brushes in skybox can cast weird shadows. Best to use 'INVISIBLE' instead of no draw in sky box.

I think that covers what I learned in a frustrating multi-hours session yesterday, hope it helps...