Engineer Uber Tactic?

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2 Talk' started by EArkham, Jul 11, 2010.

1. EArkham

aa EArkham Necromancer

Positive Ratings:
    Was just now pondering an interesting situation:

Engineer builds level 3 sentry in relative safety near spawn. Medic builds uber.

Engineer picks up level 3 sentry, runs toward enemy. Medic ubers the Engineer before he dies.

Engineer drops sentry quickly after becoming ubered in the middle of the enemy, then the uber team stands in front to protect it while it builds.

Sentry begins shooting. Pew pew pew. Uber lasts nine seconds, so engineer may even have time to repair it a couple of times before the uber runs out. Enemies now have to deal with a fully built sentry right in the middle of them all.

Anyone tried this? Is "sentry bomb" now a viable strategy?

Kep

2. Fireman

Fireman L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Ehh, sounds like if the enemy team has a demo that's even half paying attention he could down it far before it finished building, uber or not.

3. Penguin

aa Penguin Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome

Positive Ratings:
    More Viable Uberneer: use minisentry to rack up kill, bind key to destroy 2, get ubered and press key, pull out FJ, dominate.

4. NovaSilisko

aa NovaSilisko L42: Life, the Universe and Everything

Positive Ratings:
    Why the minisentry?

5. Penguin

aa Penguin Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome

Positive Ratings:
    faster

6. nik

nik L12: Fabulous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Penguin's idea is more possible since you would have to be playing against a team of idiots to be able to get your sentry to build up to lvl 3 in the middle of enemies, there's no way one ubered engi could hold off more than 2 people

7. Grim Tuesday

aa Grim Tuesday

Positive Ratings:
    Real uberstrategy: use wrangler jumps to get to impossible places, that only a really good rocket jumper can get to (Badwater point 2 roof that wasnt clipped properly), and build a tele.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    It'd be incredibly hard to pull off, since there isn't really a 'Team' in 'Team Fortress 2'

9. Dr. Spud

aa Dr. Spud Grossly Incandescent

Positive Ratings:
    The new engie abilities don't really make him any more viable for ubers. It's still better to uber an offensive class.

10. Fraz

aa Fraz Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.

Positive Ratings:
    Ubering Engies has always been viable in certain situations. Especially Dustbowl Stage 2. I used to get ubered and just run past the enemy team (most of the time dont follow/care) and then set up infront of their spawn and own. Engy will now be a bit more useful to uber, but it also means people are more wise to it making it less effective.

11. Terr

aa Terr Cranky Coder

Positive Ratings:
    I would note that the Wrangler makes the engineer much better against ubers. With the ability to target the non-medic, to pour out twice as much knockback, and to engage from longer ranges... Well, stopping a Heavy/Medic is actually quite doable.

12. EArkham

aa EArkham Necromancer

Positive Ratings:
    Picking up the sentry and retreating around a corner also works surprisingly well against ubers, heh.

Well, original idea was only a late night "what if" musing.

Kep

13. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Or if you target just the medic, you might be able to dish out enough knockback to make them break their connection with their target.

...maybe.

14. CapellanCitizen

CapellanCitizen L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    You don't even need the medic. I just played a round of pipeline where I slapped a level 3 sentry in the enemy area overlooking the spawn in the second stage.

By the time that they toasted me, our cart was at the ramp, and I had a couple dominations on stupid spies.

15. Passerby

Passerby L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    the engy is too light it is way too easy for a solly or demo or pyro to break them apart and have the healing/uber connection break.

engys go flying with a rocket or 2