[DONE] Requesting for help to fix random crashes on our new map.

Gorrah

L1: Registered
Sep 19, 2018
Hello There, My name is Gorrah and I'm an Admin for Neogenesis Network.

Once again I've decided to make a post here because NGS has obtained a new map, however, an issue has arisen. When in use of the map, it can cause crashes to any user seemingly at random, which the creator of the map seems to have no clue how to fix. I would like to request a user to help NGS with our new map by fixing this issue that we're having. Payment is of course on the table.

The latest version of the map is B6 (Beta 6/Version 6), all relevant files should be there: https://github.com/NGSNetwork/trademap

If anyone is up for the challenge then feel to add me or this Co-Owner linked below on steam to discuss it in further detail:
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198272076942 (Myself)
https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198047558675 (Co-Owner)

Last edited:

ficool2

L4: Comfortable Member
Oct 28, 2017
The crashing is because the game hits the entity (edict) limit of 2048, and that is anything "dynamic", including players, weapons, animated/moving props, projectiles and more

Tell them to see this: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Entity_limit

The only solution is to reduce the amount of entities. The current amount of entities (edicts) can be seen if you type status in console, if the number is very close to the limit then you have your answer

Gorrah

Sep 19, 2018
hm, I've just loaded into the map for myself and checked by typing status into the console.

YUjUTmh.png

as it says 1057, which is near half the max amount of 2048.

TheXeon

Sep 19, 2018
Though we are definitely utilizing more props than the previous map, I've not confident we are hitting the edict limit. The crashing happens regardless of how many people are on the server, though it starts to become more frequent with 8+ players (initially why we thought we were hitting the edict limit and investigated as such). Would hitting the edict limit crash the entire server, or individual players? It is individual players who are crashing to desktop right now, without a buffer overflow message I'm used to seeing with edict overflows.

The mapper we worked with thought it might have to do with our over-usage of texture memory, something like 2.5x what a Valve map might use. I'm not sure if this makes too much of a difference, need a more experienced eye to take a look.

DrSquishy

we've all had better times to die
aa
Feb 10, 2017
Have you tried using something such as -condebug in your launch options, or checking the steam crash dumps to see if anything appears in the console just as you crash? There's not always anything, but it can be worth a shot.

TheXeon

Sep 19, 2018

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
First, I would worry about these:
Code:
Object names  Objects/Maxobjs  Memory / Maxmem  Fullness
------------  ---------------  ---------------  --------
brushes  6926/8192        83112/98304  (84.5%) VERY FULL!
brushsides  60476/65536      483808/524288  (92.3%) VERY FULL!
waterindices  57804/65536      115608/131072  (88.2%) VERY FULL!
entdata  [variable]      356206/393216  (90.6%) VERY FULL!
You're getting dangerously close to some engine limits here. Most of these are probably fine, you're still below the limit. Entdata is the one I'd worry about the most, as even if it may not seem to be over the limit, remember that the game has to create more entities at runtime (players, projectiles, weapons, ragdolls, etc), so the number of entities in-game will always be higher than the number of entities in the compiled BSP. If you don't leave the engine enough space, then it will run out of edicts to store entdata and crash.

I'd also take note of this:
Code:
WARNING: node without a volume
According to Interlopers' compile log checker, this error isn't always a problem and may generally be ignored, but since you're experiencing problems, if cutting back on entdata doesn't work or isn't viable, hunting down this error may be worth a shot. If you don't see anything abnormal in the problem checker, you'll need to cordon off sections of the map in smaller and smaller sections until you find the error.

ics

http://ics-base.net
aa
Jun 17, 2010
First, I would worry about these:
Code:
Object names  Objects/Maxobjs  Memory / Maxmem  Fullness
------------  ---------------  ---------------  --------
brushes  6926/8192        83112/98304  (84.5%) VERY FULL!
brushsides  60476/65536      483808/524288  (92.3%) VERY FULL!
waterindices  57804/65536      115608/131072  (88.2%) VERY FULL!
entdata  [variable]      356206/393216  (90.6%) VERY FULL!
You're getting dangerously close to some engine limits here. Most of these are probably fine, you're still below the limit. Entdata is the one I'd worry about the most, as even if it may not seem to be over the limit, remember that the game has to create more entities at runtime (players, projectiles, weapons, ragdolls, etc), so the number of entities in-game will always be higher than the number of entities in the compiled BSP. If you don't leave the engine enough space, then it will run out of edicts to store entdata and crash.

I'd also take note of this:
Code:
WARNING: node without a volume
According to Interlopers' compile log checker, this error isn't always a problem and may generally be ignored, but since you're experiencing problems, if cutting back on entdata doesn't work or isn't viable, hunting down this error may be worth a shot. If you don't see anything abnormal in the problem checker, you'll need to cordon off sections of the map in smaller and smaller sections until you find the error.

Thoise percentages are non issue, as long as they are under 100% with exception of entdata - it has no hard limit. I have entdata [variable] 506827/393216 (128.9%) VERY FULL! on Gravestone and its just lots of entities stored in.

Node without a volume can be an issue. Could be a microbrush thing. Alt+p would open error dialog within the map but sometimes it just needs to be found by hand.