Diva Dan's Ice Pack

Diva Dan's Ice Pack v4

Diva Dan

hello!
aa
Mar 20, 2016
Diva Dan's Ice Pack - Pack full of ice props and a new materal

Hi! I've made a pack that adds 16 new props and two new materials. Below is a quick overview.

UrBoVGh.png

ovkXEui.png

7nwjrTn.jpg

meWzNFd.jpg

I hope you enjoy and find a use for these assets in your winter themed maps!

YOYOYO

41 crashes and counting
aa
Jul 10, 2017
This is cool, but, (If you did) what map did you use this in?

YOYOYO

41 crashes and counting
aa
Jul 10, 2017
Interesting, In what way?

Tango

Sauce Copter Enthusiast
Jul 10, 2017
Maybe I could complete my mess of koth_iceburger; maybe...

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Wait wait you can use tree sway for more than just actual trees? What does it do, make them slowly bob up and down?

Diva Dan

hello!
aa
Mar 20, 2016
Wait wait you can use tree sway for more than just actual trees? What does it do, make them slowly bob up and down?

yes, the little chunks will bob around in all directions, in a wave-like pattern. Its kind of hard to notice so if you wanted, here is the VMT of the actual prop-

2cUghfP.png

These are the two big ones you'd want to change if you wanted to do so! changing the speed to be faster would probably be enough. its in materials/models/props_arctic/snow_pile/snow_pile_sway.

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
Holy shit, it's done using the material file? This is hurting my brain. I guess that was so they could give the same prop different tree sway behaviors that they could choose from, and that was the only thing available for a static prop. Although maybe tree sway is accomplished entirely with shaders, and is more of a mirage type deal.

BigfootBeto

Party Time 2.0!
aa
Jun 8, 2016
Mhm, since its a VMT thing it can be attached to skins as well- so different skins can have different sway properties :)
Now I want to see a tree swayed skin

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
So how does it figure out what parts of the "tree" are the "trunk" and the "leaves"? This really intrigues me. Sorry to hijack your thread, Dan.

Diva Dan

hello!
aa
Mar 20, 2016
Haha, don't worry. It hasn't been fully figured out yet. Basically, there's several radii coming from the origin of the prop as I understand it. One defines the magnitude, or height, of where the "trunk" ends and the leaves begin, in all directions. This part stays stiffest. There's an even outermost radius that determines where the leaves end. You see these defined near the start. Might be hard to tell because everything's so small, and that's because I basically wanted my prop NOT to have a trunk, so it all swayed.

As it seems, vertical sway is made to be much less frequent as it would be for a tree (this is so trees don't bob up and down). It's almost entirely horizontal. But the different values in the screenshot above can tweak these, ex the "scrumble" values (have no idea what that word means!).

Beyond that, the other values are pretty self explanatory. You have strength, which is how much it sways, and speed, which is how fast. Both of these can usually be tweaked to give you want you need alone. But it's recommend you include all of the above parameters. It's quick to test everything too by using "reloadallmaterials" in console, refreshing the VMT.

It takes a lot of experimenting so I recommend testing it on a random prop. For mine, I sampled everything from one of the new palm tree props included in the jungle update. It even came with those helpful comments next to each value :)

Last edited:

Diva Dan

hello!
aa
Mar 20, 2016
Diva Dan updated Diva Dan's Ice Pack with a new update entry:

V2

• Updated the ice sheet models
    • Optimized to all use the same material
    • Remastered textures that are more detailed and not blown out
    • Updated models with fewer triangles and slightly more stylized/interesting shapes
    • Now have two skins, one with snow on top like normal, and a new one that is all ice
    • Utilizes cubemaps and no longer have normal maps or phong, so they now support vertex and lightmapped lighting
  • Removed asset zoo

Read the rest of this update entry...