Displacement issue

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by maxkm5st1, Aug 26, 2016.

1. maxkm5st1

maxkm5st1 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I very recently started mapping and wanted to make a Frontline KOTH map. I started to work on displacements, and when I ran into problems all signs pointed to this guide: http://tinyurl.com/hrp2zc6 The pictures wont load for me so I am still in the dark, any help is appreciated. A key point of the mid is a trench, I wanted it to cut across diagonally and have it, and the terrain around it all be bumpy dirt. (see picture) My problem is I cant figure out how to make the displacements without clipping brushes and again, any help is very appreciated, thanks!

[​IMG]

• Respectfully Disagree Respectfully Disagree x 1
  2. Not You

Not You L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    For the brush with the "?" make a brush with the height of the trench, then clip it to match your layout. Turn the visible sides to displacements ,and line it up to make your cliff. I can't tell if this is what you want since you don't have any screenshots.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. theatreTECHIE

aa theatreTECHIE Yet another Techie for the net...

Positive Ratings:
    This is probably the way that I'd lay out my displacements: (I've also included possible displacements for the trench, if that's what you need)
    Possible displacement layout.png
    This may need more displacements, however you can use power 2 instead of 3 if they become too small.
    Usually I just use the vertex tool to modify brushes before turning them into displacements.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  4. Umaroth-24

Umaroth-24 L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    You could just vertex manipulate one of the displacements and make the other two one big one, or you vertex manipulate them till everything sews

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Vel0city

aa Vel0city func_fish

Positive Ratings:
    Displacements have to have 4 sides at all times. No more, no less. Anything other than 4 will break your compile. The way theatreTECHIE laid it out is the way to do it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Crowbar

aa Crowbar perfektoberfest

Positive Ratings:
    Haha! I'm very used to such weird situations. If you need to be consistent about powers and density, something like that could do:
    psfNPZU.jpg
    What @Umaroth-24 was talking about, I don't really trust this method:
    psfNPZU (1).jpg

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  7. DrLambda

aa DrLambda L69: Teeheehee, Member

Positive Ratings:
    Behold: The lazy-ass style!

psfNPZU.jpg

*edit: Crowbar, nooooo!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    You could also experiment with making a square that's the size of two of those triangles, and then collapsing all the excess points down to the intended edge, but that might create errors when you start the map in-game because there are so many points at the same coordinates.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. maxkm5st1

maxkm5st1 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks everyone!

• Thanks Thanks x 1