Dewm

KotH Dewm rc1

Infomaniac

L6: Sharp Member
Nov 29, 2015
When the map is done, do you have plans on releasing those cool models?

Nov 13, 2015
When the map is done, do you have plans on releasing those cool models?

it will be done when its ready(??D:), which is the only answer I can give, not sure how much spare time I'll have in the upcoming weeks....hopefully done mid-late spring or something

had no (real) plans of making a asset pack, main reason being; when you release a map you release a complete experience, compared to a asset pack where the models are the product thus needs to be (in my opinion) of a overall higher quality than what I'm making - with lods etc (I'm not going to make lods for ~100 props - wish I had the time!!) I'm also wee afraid to be stuck in a update loop fixing and trixing smaller issues that I've intentionally skipped to save time that other people sees as standard...

...before its time to move on I'll prob zip up the files+vmfs upload them somewhere so people can play around with them, however, if I get too excited for the next project and forget to do this; remind me and I'll send em to you :)

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
If you don't make LODs for your props, I hope you have some other methods in mind for optimizing.

Nov 13, 2015
If you don't make LODs for your props, I hope you have some other methods in mind for optimizing.

lods are great when needed, for example on player or weapons, or other high poly props that the player can see from a distance, on this map most props wont be visible to player before being inside lod0 range, in addition most props are low-poly enough to not benefit from having any lods even if they were placed in a far-to-see sight line, in which you might gain a little by switching shader - but I haven't decided if these props need anything considered expensive (so making lods at this stage would truly be a time-waster),...note: they will probably have a normal/spec so one could argue that they might need a lod if they would be seen from a great distance,

the most complex prop is the car in each spawn, its split up into multiple pieces; exterior and interior hull (about 600 polys each, drawn from afar), interior details and hull details (with tighter draw distance), 1 wheel copy pasted 4 times with different draw distance, glass windows in the door and cockpit (with tigh draw range), all crates are single objects with different draw range (i.e. crated on the back side are not drawn until a player is very close)
splitting a mesh like this might not always be correct, but in this case I decided it was, however if you were to see the car from very far away (lets say 2500 units) then wheels and crates would benefit from lods...depending on the overall complexity in the scene

please don't misunderstand me, using lods are just as important as knowing when not to use lods,

Last edited:

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
I'm very impressed with your modelling, as you probably heard when we played the map last night. Sorry about that! Did you really make the meshes in Source 2 Hammer, then port them? I love the map's style. It really feels like an off-world base.

Nixon

L3: Member
Jan 10, 2017
I'm very impressed with your modelling, as you probably heard when we played the map last night. Sorry about that! Did you really make the meshes in Source 2 Hammer, then port them? I love the map's style. It really feels like an off-world base.
Wait you can make models in tile?

Nov 13, 2015

it felt like blu was winning quite easily, def bc of you :))...followed you around when watching the demo, you did explore sir,
will see what I can do to nerf possible pyro base hoggin,

what you were saying was completely correct, export a fbx from source 2 hammer and touch it up in your favorite 3d application, glad you like it, made my day :)

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
What I adore is the texturing of the rocks. I though imagine it pretty easy, apply the white wear where the edges are. Do you export wireframe for that?

Nov 13, 2015
What I adore is the texturing of the rocks. I though imagine it pretty easy, apply the white wear where the edges are. Do you export wireframe for that?

it is indeed very easy,

there are (7)seven different rock formations, all have their origin from tf2 hammer, they are cylindrical brushed modified with the clip tool (as you can see in the alpha versions of this map), then exported as dmx, then imported into maya (or whatever 3d app you like), merged and uv mapped, each rock has its ao baked with a displacement reference to simulate the shadow from the ground in the map - with the purpose of making it look more embedded in the scene (...totally premium, nobody else care for this...)

regarding the wear, a few years ago I would have painted it by hand, or map it to a premade texture,
in this case I used a awesome photoshop addon called ddo from my mates at Quixel* (they are somewhat branch standard, together with other similar software);

to get a edge wear mask:
1. load the mesh in ddo (starts from photoshop), I did fbx2014/2015
2a. for the pro: create a new material and make your dynamask (...then tweak it, if you have to)
2b. for the lazy; choose a existing smart material, find the alpha channel from your edge mask, then copy it
x. paste it into your baked ao, diffuse or other texture
x. use filter setting in photoshop to combine them into something you like
x. save as tga (32 bit for alpha)
x. import in VTFEdit*, this is the current vmf setting I have for my rocks:

"VertexLitGeneric"
{
"$baseTexture" "dewm/dewm_rock_d"
}
// Created With MESA 2.1 by www.puppet-master.net in Maya 2018 - 1337 edition

props to faceless for mesa, visit puppet-master.net fo mo info (this is not advertising) and nem for the rest!!!!! NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEM!

*link to quixel
**link to VTFEdit

Last edited:

Infomaniac

L6: Sharp Member
Nov 29, 2015
You're doing god's work!

ics

http://ics-base.net
aa
Jun 17, 2010