[Contest entry]pl_jungle

Chilly

L6: Sharp Member
May 3, 2008
Would this type of tree fit the TF2 theme better?
http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-max-palms-trees/347628

It's the one I was looking at for my level. I think the more stylized, the better, but you might be going for realistic so I could be wrong. :)

EDIT: Added note... is it hard to convert a purchased 3ds Max file to use in a map? I've not done modeling, but it seems like there's so many models that it'd probably be easier to modify one to suit your needs than start from scratch.

Spike

L10: Glamorous Member
Feb 13, 2008
Would this type of tree fit the TF2 theme better?
http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-max-palms-trees/347628

It's the one I was looking at for my level. I think the more stylized, the better, but you might be going for realistic so I could be wrong. :)

EDIT: Added note... is it hard to convert a purchased 3ds Max file to use in a map? I've not done modeling, but it seems like there's so many models that it'd probably be easier to modify one to suit your needs than start from scratch.

1st) I prefer a dense palm (and vegetation) so this palm won't fit in my map. Thank you anyway.

2nd) It's is really easy to do it, but I don't recommend it because those models you find over the internet are made for renders, that means they have a lot of polygons that are useless when mapping for a game. I found a palm which had 20000 polygons, and I made a similar one with just 700.

Spike

Feb 13, 2008
WTF I didn't know Source could render shadows in that way of detail!

tf2test2vx8.jpg

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Thats because its a dynamic prop and dynamic shadows follow exact outlines, even of alpha textures.
If it were a static prop you would need to compile with fancy settings and use a lightmap scale of 1 to get shadows like that.

Spike

Feb 13, 2008
Model exhibition of all the models made since today, almost all of them animated simulating wind on the leaves:

testmodels0019xr2.jpg

testmodels0015eg0.jpg

testmodels0016eo2.jpg

testmodels0017fg6.jpg

testmodels0018lx0.jpg

Forthex

L2: Junior Member
Aug 2, 2008
Wow...

I'm curious; What do they look like riddled with bullets?

Last edited:

Spike

Feb 13, 2008
They don't move if you shoot them. I can make them react to bullets but it would take too much server load so that's why I'm not doing it

Forthex

Aug 2, 2008
I thought model effects were all client side... that's too bad. They still look awesome, though!

Spike

Feb 13, 2008
I thought model effects were all client side... that's too bad. They still look awesome, though!

Only static models are client side, dynamic and physics are server side.

I'll maybe make a version of some physics plants for testing, but they won't be on the map (heavy lag when heavy physics).

Username

Aug 26, 2008
There are physics_multiplayer props, which are calculated mostly clientside. I can't remember if TF2 has them, though.

Spike

Feb 13, 2008
Giant change from the last time I showed anything! Bonafide, I changed the trunk texture (made by me from scratch, no reference picture), and leaves made from reference picture, so there's no Crysis content anymore:

jungle4copia0000ai7.jpg

jungle4copia0005ps8.jpg

jungle4copia0003qg4.jpg

jungle4copia0006bm8.jpg

jungle4copia0001ve1.jpg

FreeLance_FoX

Sep 6, 2008
Ah wow looking a lot better there! The overall style is starting to look much more in the TF2 art style! The view in the fourth screen especially is just gorgeous... a lovely panorama overall. :D

The only criticism I saw artistically was the palm trees still look a bit too realistic; in my mind they would be thicker and more cartoony to fit in to TF2. The perfect example of this would be on Shmitz's tc_meridian, which has some incredibly lovely palm trees toward the BLU end of the map. Check them out! >:3

Spike

Feb 13, 2008
thanks dude.

I like the palms in that way, it's true it could be more cartoony, there's people saying they are perfect, others say it could be more cartonny.
I don't know what to do, I won't change the trunk of them, but there are possibilities I change the leaves texture.

FreeLance_FoX

Sep 6, 2008
To me it just seems that with the other trees the way they are, less cartoonish but more surreal, that the palm trees would follow suit. Instead of having the same curvaceous trunks, maybe make some of the palm trees have thicker trunks that curve around in ways that seem surreal. The texture itself seems fine, but the trees' trunks especially could be more varied to give that whimsy feel TF2 inspires. ^_^

Spike

Feb 13, 2008
Meet the spawnroom (still WIP):

jungle4copia0024sp6.jpg

Would you make it more like a pirate ship, or just a normal ship?

Forthex

Aug 2, 2008
If you're going to include the missile and/or computer/weapons tech, then I'd make it a normal looking military ship. But, a pirate ship done right would look really cool, and fit the whole jungle theme better imo.

Aug 19, 2008
although the pirate-ship looks great executionwise, it doesn´t feel right for me, too old, another time, why would someone with such and advanced technology in weaponry and spytech use a pirateship?
a carrier might be too big, but maybe an ammunition ship
AE.jpg

you could make the draught-line in according team colors :)

Spike

Feb 13, 2008
I thought it was a good idea for TF2 to mix advanced technology with old theme, in all of the maps there are spytech technology mixed with 60's themes, so I thought it would be cool. But seeing people doesn't like the missiles on it I've deleted them.

Also when I was asking for a old/normal ship I didn't mean a total change. Making it a destroyer would spend lots of hours(and I have already spent them on this ship). So I'm going to make it a normal pirate ship.

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
You could put the spytech stuff inside the ship itself, instead of hugely showing it up front. That doesn't kill the scenery yet gives that TF2 idea of having a highly sophisticated base in an old-looking building.