[Contest entry]pl_jungle

Spike

L10: Glamorous Member
Feb 13, 2008
You could put the spytech stuff inside the ship itself, instead of hugely showing it up front. That doesn't kill the scenery yet gives that TF2 idea of having a highly sophisticated base in an old-looking building.

Yup, that's a good idea, thnx :thumbup1:

Spike

Feb 13, 2008
Updated

jungle4copia0025ut5.jpg

Spike

Feb 13, 2008
Lookin good, but lower the ship into the water a bit more.

I can't do it :S There's the BLU spawnroom inside the ship, if I lower it water will get inside it :S

Feb 14, 2008
Nice avatar Spike.

I don't know if that is possible immortal, although I have heard there is an entity setup which acts as an area where water is blocked.

Spike

Feb 13, 2008
Thank you guys. I'm going to use this post to introduce a new update.

might i suggest breaking up the water into multiple brushes? and just making it border around the spawn room

And to second the post above me, you could definitely cut the water around the ship to form a border

I think it won't work. It would work if it was cheap water, but it's expensive water with reflections, and cutting it would end on unwanted troubles like reflections and stuff like that messed up.

Nice avatar Spike.

Lol I found this pic on DevianArt website, a guy called megabuddha makes great TF2 comics and stuff you should check it out: http://megabuddha.deviantart.com/gallery/#_featured--3

I have heard there is an entity setup which acts as an area where water is blocked.

I didn't know that, I'll investigate it.

And here's the update I got it working the other day. I made some experiments with water .vmts and finally got it working with a modded water_well.vmt. The effect I want to archive are the little waves you see on a calm beach. Here's the link to youtube:

Last edited:

Spike

Feb 13, 2008
I'm changing the map type to another. I actually wanted to change it long ago because I knew I couldn't enter the compo because i would not finish the map. So pl_jungle is no longer a badwater pl map, it'll be like goldrush 3 stage pl map.

And here's the layout of the first stage. I think it's well balanced but I would test that on first alpha. It ha a sniper spot(beach) which isn't that good because there's a lot of vegetation that covers the heads etc. Then there's a cave part for pyros and demos. Forest part is great for scouts because they can jump on trees and there are some sentry spots all over the stage.

layoutci3.jpg

Payload path

layout2us3.jpg

Cerious

L420: High Member
Aug 10, 2008
You've got it ready? Excellent! Why don't you get to work on the second part, but just let us find any flaws with the first part right now, so we don't have to wait for you to finish everything (and please, next time, use dev textures to block out the map first and THEN beautify it, it'll make playtesting much quicker for us).

Spike

Feb 13, 2008
You've got it ready? Excellent! Why don't you get to work on the second part, but just let us find any flaws with the first part right now, so we don't have to wait for you to finish everything (and please, next time, use dev textures to block out the map first and THEN beautify it, it'll make playtesting much quicker for us).

Thanks, alpha is comming soon, maybe in a week or so. Actually the first alpha will be a beta of the first stage, but I'll call it alpha because it's only the 1st stage of 3.

For the gamplay thing, yeah It could have been a lot easier, but on my map it won't work. It's because all the trees and stuff. On a common map you can first make the brushes so you can see the vsisibility on each part, etc etc but on mine, I have to put the trees so I can test how long players can see etc.

Cerious

L420: High Member
Aug 10, 2008
Alrighty then. Now that you've gotten the textures and models done, I'm pretty sure the rest of the map will come a lot quicker.

Ceiling Man

L3: Member
Jan 27, 2009
Just a little suggestion, how about adding a river that leads to the beach and inside the jungle, above the river, is a huge bridge?

Spike

Feb 13, 2008
Just a little suggestion, how about adding a river that leads to the beach and inside the jungle, above the river, is a huge bridge?

Yeah I thought about it when I started the map. But in terms of layout I can't think where the the river would go. I'll try to make space and put it somewhere. I was planing on having a river on 2nd and 3rd stage, but a river comming from the mountain to the beach sound more realistic.

Thanks

Ceiling Man

L3: Member
Jan 27, 2009
You're welcome.

I had that idea when I looked at a bridge model, I thought "Wouldn't it be perfect for that jungle map?"

That would just be awesome. :p

Spike

Feb 13, 2008
Faking Crysis-like shadows:

jungle4copia0054xb3.jpg

jungle4copia0055bw6.jpg

FreeLance_FoX

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 6, 2008
To me that seems to look a tad un-TF2-like... correct me if I'm wrong but there aren't any other shadows that are that pronounced anywhere on Valve's maps. It seems that your visuals, although very good, are starting to escape the realm of cartoon. Frankly I'd just like to have a finished layout to play with, because your theme is already fairly developed. :p

Spike

Feb 13, 2008
I don't think it looks un-tf2ish. It's a jungle and it needs some natural shadows. You can't fint shadows like that on Valve maps because there's no vegetation at all.

What makes it tf2ish are the textures not the shadows, just look at Tf2 characters, they have pretty complex bumpmaps and they don't make it un-TF2-like