[Contest entry]pl_jungle

Spike

L10: Glamorous Member
Feb 13, 2008
:O First volumetric wave on Source (I think).

jungle20010eb3.jpg

Real time reflections:

jungle20011xf3.jpg

jungle20012mq6.jpg

Inside the tube:

jungle20015bu1.jpg

Cerious

L420: High Member
Aug 10, 2008
Astounding job there, I'm in love with the reflections. I'd like to see how your gameplay turns out. Making a pl map is like writing a book: Start with an intro that lets people get a feel of the map, steadily ramp up the pace and action, and finish with the climax. In more practical terms, build up the suspense in the map, save the best for last, and make it a lavish, great end. Hope that helps.

Bonafide

L6: Sharp Member
Mar 18, 2008
The trees are selfmade, I've just taken the textures from Crysis and I modified them a little bit, oh and made the bumpmaps too. But all the modeling work is mine.

I'll send you the .mdl files, but please don't use them on a map until I finish the map. A great tip for making the leaves: don't make flat meshes, make meshes with lots of polygons, because Source engine "vertexlit" them so if you have just a flat mesh it will light or shadow the whole leaf.

Thanks for comments :D

PS. models are unfinished, they don't have collision model and lod models. And I'm going to change the trunk texture.

I would do it if it wasn't that difficult :(

ah I hate to say this but you cant take textures from another game and modify them. Its copywrite theft.

laghlagh

Jul 15, 2008
Astounding job there, I'm in love with the reflections. I'd like to see how your gameplay turns out. Making a pl map is like writing a book
A book of bombs, carts and intense pain!

Spike

Feb 13, 2008
ah I hate to say this but you cant take textures from another game and modify them. Its copywrite theft.

FPS banana wouldn't exist then. And what about model decompiling etc etc? Same thing.

Anyway I said I'm going to reeskin them to a more TF2 style of textures

Bonafide

Mar 18, 2008
FPS banana wouldn't exist then. And what about model decompiling etc etc? Same thing.

Anyway I said I'm going to reeskin them to a more TF2 style of textures

Just because people do it doesn't mean its legal. And who uses what happens at FPSbanana as a morale compass?

Decompiling a model from a game, modifying it and putting it into another game is also illegal.

You cant take a texture from another game by another company, modify it and use it. Thats just the way it is, there's no dispute.

Last edited:

Spike

Feb 13, 2008
Just because people do it doesn't mean its legal. And who uses what happens at FPSbanana as a morale compass?

Decompiling a model from a game, modifying it and putting it into another game is also illegal.

You cant take a texture from another game by another company, modify it and use it. Thats just the way it is, there's no dispute.

I know that, but there's lot of people, why not say 99% of the mappers, who has taken a original texture and modified it, also with models, and there are some examples on tf2maps.

Bonafide

Mar 18, 2008
I know that, but there's lot of people, why not say 99% of the mappers, who has taken a original texture and modified it, also with models, and there are some examples on tf2maps.

What point are you making here? Im telling you its illegal. You arent disputing it but trying to reason its fine because other people do it?

I can tell you right of the bat that 99% of mappers do no take textures and models from other games and import them to source. I can not name one instance of this happening actually. The only thing I know of is people modifying valve textures and models, which is fine.

Spike

Feb 13, 2008
Im not talkign about other games. If you take a TF2 texture, and you modify it, it's illegal too.

You don't have the right to modify Valve files, they allow it, but it's also illegal. It's the first time I take something from another game, don't come to my thread bothering me about that when I said I was going to modify them.

And I repeat, taking Valve textures/models and modifing them is as much illegal as taking them from other games.

And now back on topic, no more arguments on this thread

Bonafide

Mar 18, 2008
Yea, so take a harry potter book, "modify" it and publish it as your own. Im sure JK Rowling wont mind you using her work as a base for your own.

also its not illegal to edit TF2 textures if you are using them in a custom TF2 map. Get your facts straight please.

Spike

Feb 13, 2008
Just stop arguiing on my thread. I haven't gone to yours to argue.

And there's no place where it says it's legal to modify them, so you're wrong too. And I'm going to ask to Steam forums to get an answer.

And BTW, I was a MMPORG game server admin, and we run a private free server (which doesn't mean pirate). We were allowed to do that, but we were forbidden to reeskin any texture even using it for the same game.

And again, beeing illegal or not, everyone does it, me too, and probably you too.

EDIT: Found an answer. IT'S ILLEGAL TO EXTRACT FILES FROM GCF. So yes, I was right and you should "Get your facts straight please".

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Mod_Content_Usage

As you can read, you are only allowed to modify the .dlls.

Last edited:

Spike

Feb 13, 2008
Only Metal Gear Solid fans will get the joke.

In just 1 word: lol

Nothing special, just a 10 minutes reeskin of spy mask when you disguisse as spy. I'm going to upload it to FPS Banana right now.

jungle20022bu7.jpg

Spike

Feb 13, 2008
Soo... layout? I see some nice screen shots of a non tf2 styled beach. Make sure you get some playtesting before detailing, you don't want to waste your time on a half baked layout idea.

Well, detailing is part of the layout, because bushes, trees, etc will block visibility. I think I'm not going to join the contest. I can't finish it at time. So it's no problem if I end it after 6 months ;)

Oh and by the way, I still don't have any layout. It's just a prealpha of a zone. I still have to think about the layout.

Spike

Feb 13, 2008
Some little progress I've made. Natural models for natural enviroment.

testmodels0001ra7.jpg

testmodels0003zu4.jpg

Spike

Feb 13, 2008
4 pages and no layout? :|

Is it that important?

I still don't know the layout, I haven't made a 5% of the map, I'm concentrating on all the custom stuff.

And I don't have to show the layout if I don't want to.

Snipergen

L13: Stunning Member
Nov 16, 2007
Try to keep your custom content consistent Spike, palmtree is seriously off in terms of texture. Rest looks pretty good though :) Good job.

Spike

Feb 13, 2008
Yeah i know the palm leaves texture looks horrible, i still have to fix them, maybe I should colour them with a snot green?