[Contest Entry] pl_ghost_town

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

L10: Glamorous Member
Apr 12, 2008
Normally I'd just keep mapping updates within a blog. However, I've been in an image spamming mood lately.

pl_ghost_town_a1b0019.jpg

Yellow circles = Red spawn, red lines = red path to points 2 and 3, the red squiggle shows the path that is cut off after point 2 is captured, green lines = neutral paths, since red can access that area from spawn after 2 is capped, blue lines are how blue gets to green/cap 3.
pl_ghost_town_a1b0019b.jpg

Just some shots of the area after point two, around the church, and some of point 3, which I'm thinking will be more of a mining cave.
pl_ghost_town_a1b0020.jpg

pl_ghost_town_a1b0021.jpg

pl_ghost_town_a1b0022.jpg

pl_ghost_town_a1b0023.jpg

Apr 12, 2008
So, I actually got everything finished yesterday, and then as I was trying to sleep I decided I didn't like about half of the map :-/ Anyways, rather than read about George Washington and his influence as a founder of the US, I mapped my ass off. Tomorrow morning I'm putting in *functional* lighting, some health/ammo packs, and then I'm releasing a1. It'll be cubemap free, basic stuff, etc, etc. Hoping that it plays well, there are only a few places I still want to make some larger changes too (last point area mostly), so I hope the playability for the majority of the map is spot on (it won't be, of course :).

So, here are the new shots. I did keep parts of the points I got rid of, such as the elevated area or some buildings, depending on if I liked them, so not everything looks completely new.

pl_ghost_town_a1d0000.jpg

New area 3.
pl_ghost_town_a1d0001.jpg

pl_ghost_town_a1d0002.jpg

Area 4, the place that is most likely to change (especially that wide open/dead area where you enter, by the fence).
pl_ghost_town_a1d0003.jpg

pl_ghost_town_a1d0004.jpg

Oct 6, 2008
Great looking map!!! How do you make the top down look - any tutorials anywhere? What are they called?

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
It's called noclip...

Code:
sv_cheats 1
r_drawviewmodel 0
cl_drawhud 0
noclip
into the console, makes you a free floating camera.

Bonafide

L6: Sharp Member
Mar 18, 2008
You forgot to add the custom rock textures. They are all purple and black. Upload a version A1a with the files included.

Is this a 1 stage PL map like badwater? If it is, are there forward spawns for both attacks and defenders? I couldnt see any. I ask because the track is really long.

I really like the layout from what I can see in that Alpha. I cant wait to see how it plays.

Last edited:

Apr 12, 2008
Thank you Bonafide. I didn't realize the models used a custom texture :-/

I'm recompiling now and will rerelease it shortly.

Also, I plan on putting it up for next weekend's gameday, though I'll wait to see if anything else needs to be changed.

It is single stage, as per contest rules. There is a forward spawn for blu, just prior to the cap of the 2nd point that becomes active once blu has #2. Red gets a shortcut out of their base towards #2, which is also disabled when that point is captured.

Last edited:

ChronoTriggerFan

L420: High Member
Feb 3, 2008
Based on todays testing, I think the area that needs the most work is the second to last cap. While the rest of the map has some very nice flanking routs, all this has is a tunnel, which a RED sentry gun can guard very easily. I also think that the path from the above mentioned tunnel to outside RED's spawn is a bit too much. All it does really is give an annoying scout the opportunity to annoy the engineers by destroying their teleporters, and promotes spawn camping.

tenaciousg

L1: Registered
Jan 8, 2008
alright this map is Huge, and i think for most players will be too complex. i remember people saying they we're lost and i admit i was lost once/twice while playing. the final cap is impossible without having another foward spawn right before the blue team rounds that corner. there we're alot of medium/full health packs.. you didnt even need a medic on the team and could probably still do good pushin that cart up. too many places to look when trying to walk around.. again this has to do with complexity, if you're trying to play this and you don't want some player jumping out of nowhere you'd have to do alot of checking around just to make sure there's not a red guy somewhere lingering about.

Bonafide

Mar 18, 2008
The map is complex but great. I think the difficulty people find is because the map is so similar every where at the moment with dev textures every where. When places look more unique and everything is sign posted I would imagine it will work far more fluidly. I would agree there are a tad too many HP and Ammo boxes lying around though. Also the last point appears to be impossible so it needs a redesign, but before the last point you get a big thumbs up from me. I really like it :D

Chilly

May 3, 2008
This map is way too big and complex. I'd suggest trying to cut out some areas that aren't needed, like some of the side passages. Now some specific points:
1. The first checkpoint building can be turtled with a couple of sentries way too easily... I'd suggest opening it up a bit.
2. Red can get on top of blue's first spawn building.
3. In the last big open area you can get on the small building's roof and hop across to the gray cliff on the far side. You have that whole top area available. If the defense builds up here, there's no way for the attackers to ever get through. I like being able to get on the lower parts of the cliff, so maybe just block off the upper parts?
4. Almost all the roofs throughout the map can be accessed by soldiers and demomen. Making some alternate routes up or some clear shots for blue snipers to clear those areas would help.
5. Blue's forward spawn is kind of useless. It needs to get moved at least a little bit forward since there's a LONG walk to the end otherwise. I don't see the attackers being able to win against a couple of sentries at the end if they have to push that far. Don't move it too far forward... maybe 1 section up?

flubber

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 16, 2007
We test it 12v12 yesterday it's clearly as say chilly to complex.
But for us it was the two last points that block the game (no round leads to blue victory).
Things i've spotted :
- There is some bug around last turn that makes player being able to see thru building.
- Too many roof acces
- Remove the shortcut from C to D finishing on the red spawn.
- Too many passage (especially on defense where after a long walk you end up in front of a dead end.
- Too many sniper point because of roof acces (but i think that the orange texture didn't help us to locate them quickly)

We may test it again tonight for more feedback.