[Contest Entry] pl_cashworks

Dox

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Oct 26, 2007
Some comments from the STNO server:

Jack_de_Snack said:
immediately from the starting point, it's not very offense-friendly
Jack_de_Snack said:
only a couple of spawn exits and they can be covered with a pair of snipers.
Jack_de_Snack said:
I also don't like the fact that the payload track is constricted to a bridge, a narrow one at that. Hell, you could cover that with one Demoman from behind that shed, and that it moves in an almost consistently straight line, which just makes its pushers cannon-fodder for snipers, pyros and other classes that rely on ambushing and predicting its victims' paths.
Ghostwhisp said:
I think its too big, with too many stupid little defense-friendly spots and too much open space
Fifthrider said:
Played it this weekend. It rocked!
Fifthrider said:
some sticking doors that made the start of the game a little odd. ( ex: 15 seconds into "SETUP" and THEN the damned door to get out of the spawn room finally opens.
ProphetBeal said:
I love this map, but there is one drawback that made defense easy. The spawn room is right next to the cap point, plus the once the spawn room is moved back you can still access early spawn rooms to use the regen lockers. But you have to love nice explosion at the end.
.4ngryToasters said:
The view is pretty awesome, but at a price. This map has some serious fps issues for those of us without top of the line gaming rigs.

I personally have yet to play it :(

Aug 19, 2008
damn, a downer :(

the map is currently on 24/7schedule at the NoHeroes Server,
with alpha 3 the players got used to the layout and developed stratagies, blu won more and more ground until finally they knew the map well enough, so everything progressed up to the last point where they halted and lost. i now changed the layout a little bit
i´m going to have to look into that, in a week (hopefully its up that long on the server) i´ll take a look to see where it needs major change.
i´m willing to shorten the first segment and to delete the part between cp2 and cp3 to shorten the length of the track

it´s been the same with badwater (not that i´m comparing mine with badwater :) where some sentrypositions just seemed overpowered, until the players got a hang of the situation.

doors locking up or not opening at roundstart shouldn´t happen anymore, didn´t witness this since A3.

i need to deactivate the regenlockers once a point is captured, but the spawnrooms aren´t accessible anymore once everyone is out, thats for sure.

i certainly need to cut down on some of the eyecandy, but i believe some of the comments are based on the A2 where i had made some serious mistakes in layout and you could see the other parts of the map without being there. changed a lot considering that

thx for the feedback Dox

Chilly

L6: Sharp Member
May 3, 2008
A couple bugs/suggestions.

First, in the corner directly right of blue's first spawn, you can get stuck. It'd take an idiot to crawl in there, which is why I'm in there. :)

plcashworksa30007qg9.jpg

plcashworksa30008pg4.jpg

Second, on the top right ledge over the first checkpoint, you can go into the rocks and even build. Sentries shoot down to the ground below. Sorry for the wrench in the screenshot... I kept getting sniped every time I wanted to get the picture.

plcashworksa30006vx5.jpg

plcashworksa30004dk3.jpg

Should the spawn area be buildable? Also, if you change classes right out there, you die and have to wait for respawn. On most maps you can go all the way to the exit without that happening.

plcashworksa30003kw6.jpg

This exit should have a big arrow on the far side of the tracks. Badwater-style sign would be excellent.

plcashworksa30002va0.jpg

This area felt weird. It's too narrow at the bottom of the steps. I'd suggest trying to expand that side of the building by a foot or two. It's just got an odd feel when you're moving in there or looking at it. The shadow also seems really harsh.

plcashworksa30001fp4.jpg

Quaz

L1: Registered
Nov 19, 2008
If capturing cp2 gave more time to blue then more games might progress past cp3.

Also at the 2nd to last point in the little house on the left , the top of the house has been blocked off so that no one can go up there. I'm sure that you did this is on purpose, but I think that when an engineer builds up there it helps blue stay in control of that little courtyard and keeps red from constantly pushing them back. It's hard enough to cap the last point anyway with the given time.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Really cool map I had fun playing on it.
You've got about half of your props set to prop_dynamic when they never change or move thoughout the course of a game, this will put far more strain on people's machines than is necesssary, plus it gives them nasty dynamic shadows.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28746141@N08/3051484372/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28746141@N08/3050645653/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28746141@N08/3050645795/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28746141@N08/3050645947/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28746141@N08/3050646067/

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
how can you tell something is prop_dynamic by looking at it?

it gives off a dynamic shadow, which looks crap usually. there are a few cases where the dynamic one looks better than the lightmapped shadow but they're rare.

Aug 19, 2008
does anyone know, why they self-destruct?
somewhere i read that they blow up, when there isn´t enough vertical room to materialize the teleported player, but at some spots thats just not true and its wide open space :(

thx for the props_dynamic tip youme :)
i heard your comment on voice whilst ingame and felt kinda ashamed :)
i always thought it was this way because it´s only a fast render

how did your framerates do? did they choke down massively or was it still playable?

thx for the playtesting

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I noticed no slowdown in FPS but then when you average 120 on valve maps it takes a drop to < 30 before i notice anything.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Or use the entity report, filter by class "prop_dynamic" that will list all the prop_dynamics on the map, then just look at the properties of each and use ctrl+shift+e to find it in the 3d view and decide if it should be dynamic or static.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Played it for the first time yesterday. Well, unless you count the time I left after ten minutes because some stupid server was running a grenade mod. :p

Anyway, I decided to try out some BLU Engineering. I don't think I need to mentioned the spawn building or random teleporter exit destruction. I have no idea why that happens either, but I did build where there was enough space.

I found it incredibly hard to be a useful BLU Engineer in the last part of the map, around the second to last point. The other team had taken complete control of the cart. The little courtyard thing between BLU's forward spawn and the next area was constantly bombarded by RED players, as they could exit from both the upper area and easily get into the small building, which otherwise seemed like a perfect spot for a teleporter. Basically, RED had too easy access to the area even though they had been pushed out.

If I went up the ramps in this area, I could enter a building, where there was a one-way door. That would be great for me as an Engineer. However, I quickly found out that RED could easily enter this room through a door no less than a couple of steps away, which made it impossible to build anything there and help my team forward. I'm not saying you should completely block off this area for RED, but right now I think it's way too easy for them to harrass BLU Engineers.

...Oh, and I should probably mention that otherwise (before this point), BLU engineering for me was enjoyable and effective.

Blindfate

L1: Registered
Nov 2, 2008
We played the newest version last night, and first of all everyone agreed its a pretty beautiful map. My FPS was a little choppy in a few places and so were a few other peoples, but it wasnt that bad atleast for me.

I think the biggest complaint that I heard on the server was that there were always a lot of ways for the other team to get behind you.

I don't know if this is a bug or not, but as a scout you can jump onto the window cill on the left side of the bridge at the final point.

Keep up the good work!

Aug 19, 2008
that was intended, the thing is, i dont know whether to keep the one way door for red on the end of the lower level of the building or to keep the cill

a scout isnt much of a danger when there is a sentry up in that room and people defended it well once they got their sentries running up in there. the cill was rather intended for spies to be able to enter the room

Aug 19, 2008
Or use the entity report, filter by class "prop_dynamic" that will list all the prop_dynamics on the map, then just look at the properties of each and use ctrl+shift+e to find it in the 3d view and decide if it should be dynamic or static.

i dont exactly get how to filter by class "prop_dynamic", i dont have that one in my visgroups

could you tell me step by step how to do that?