CP CD_ProtoType

Lopez

L1: Registered
Mar 26, 2014

C, D, and F sound confusing and hard to convey to people new to the game mode. I can't say they won't work, but it'll be hard to explain. Even with those buffs I don't see why players would want to go to the point. They can't guarantee that they'll get any kills with the buffs, and even if they did, it wouldn't matter. The time will keep counting down for both teams.
In fact, with those buffs in place, it would put a team at a disadvantage to hold the point. If one team owns the point then the other can rush in at the 10 second mark, cap, get buffs, get kills, and win.

killohurtz

Distinction in Applied Carving
aa
Feb 22, 2014
A+B: Please don't do this, there are better ways to handle the uber problem (see below).
D: This just feels needlessly complicated. Remember, people should be able to pick up on a gamemode fairly quickly. If you're going to do buffs, make the AoE and effects simple.
F: Doesn't this defeat the whole purpose of the gamemode? All of the time spent contesting the point before the last 30 seconds would be made pointless if you could just cap and win afterwards without the timer ever reaching zero. And once again, this feels like too much for a single mode.

As for the ubers, you could spawn players in an open/unprotected area and counter spawncamping with temporary invulnerability like Mannpower. This way, players don't have a safe place to build.

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
I could change the buffs from the needlessly complex soldier backpack buffs to a dispenser type thing
And in doing this I would also change the crit boost for attacking to a mini-crit boost.

Also, yeah you are right on that last point :3

ExtraCheesyPie

L420: High Member
Jan 29, 2015
....no

That one's different.

Just barely different.

Also, I'd just like to leave this here.

Map name: koth_polarbeam
Author Name: Berry
Link: http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=22003
Brief Description: Single timer KotH
Extended explanation:
I wanna start off by saying the sub-mode failed. My intentions were to have something unique to my map, and to have lore/detail-wise the two teams fighting over control of the center point's laser. In my intentions, teams would fight over the point constantly to gain control. With one timer, it was only supposed to get more tense.

The problem? Teams would simply sit in spawn while the other went and capped the point. 2-3 minutes later - when the timer was almost out - they would all rush out together and mow down the other unsuspecting team, taking the control point and winning with little to no effort required.

The solution? I'm not working on this map still of course, but if I wanted to fix it I'd either: have the timer down to maybe 1:30, and have it reset to 1:30 as the point is re-captured.

Overall it was fun to learn that simple mode changes don't always work.

Last edited:

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
Well, if I can get the point to nullify uber, that will fix AT LEAST 75% of the problem.

So let's hope I can get that working :)

And don't say that it's too confusing, because it WILL fix the problem.

killohurtz

Distinction in Applied Carving
aa
Feb 22, 2014
Are you sure you want to be taking away the intended purpose of an uber like that? The problem is not USING ubers, it's hiding and building them. With your idea, an entire push could be shut down if the attackers accidentally walk over the point.

ThrowingPie

L1: Registered
Apr 6, 2014
If Ubers are effectively removed then playing medic becomes quite useless when a engi with a nest (sentry and dispenser) can do the same thing but with more firepower.

Also If a trigger (I'm assuming) removes Ubers, will it apply to both teams or only the attacking team.
And how large does the "no uber" zone have to be and how will people know where that zone is.

Interesting idea but as others have said the complexity to make it work also makes it not fun for people to play.

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
Sooo... just realized... irony:

I was starting to get to the nitty-gritty if how to fix everything...

And then I realized: This gamemode is BORING!
My original intention was to give an intense feeling of last-point anxiety, but if you've got the point, then the anxiety is null and void.

Not to mention... if the entire team is willing to build ubers in spawn... then that kind of means that they'd rather win than have fun. Which is never good.