Canaveral [3CP]

CP Canaveral [3CP] RC5c

Custard1

Dude, where's my free time?
aa
Mar 15, 2015
wip1.png

Still a fair bit of work to go yet but A13 is on the way

After tearning the map to pieces, I've rebuilt out from last to mid. I moved the last point a lot closer, in turn sacrificing yard and watchtower. Still working on the connectors there, but rough estimates take the travel time to mid down from 28s to 18.

I've rebuilt this area with the idea that the attackers are coming from the left side, rather than trying to force them from the front without limiting their flanks. I've incorporated room 04 into the main arena space, giving myself more area to work with. I've also moved defenders spawn back a little bit and broke sightlines between them and the point. I'm also trying to give Engies some sentry spots akin to Badwater Last. Powerful but hard to escape from.

Interestingly, I haven't quite turned the map from a W into a linear one, and even managed to keep the rocket lined up with the final point. My only concern is that defenders leaving spawn will get whiplash making a sharp turn once they leave the control centre.

Custard1

aa
Mar 15, 2015
Big update that completely overhauls the layout and timing.

a13b.png

• Route to mid is now 18s rather than 26s
    • To do this, yard and watchtower are gone. Instead, I've made a new semi-hybrid, combining the better aspects of yard and room 04
    • Aditionally, the high ground route into mid is now gone. You can either go main, or shed.
    • Shed has also been changed to make the drop down one way to stop players easily flanking to mid
  • The control room has been extended further to where yard used to be and moved up.
    • Complete remake of control room. The reason for this is that the old one was assuming most players would come from the front of the room, when in reality they came from the side. Rebuilt this after studying some 5cp lasts to facilitate pushing back out and back to mid. I'm not too sure on this room layout yet
    • Room 04 has also been flipped and combined with new yard
  • Mid has been changed a bit too. The high ground is far less powerful and expansive to stop splitting the central arena up as much, and to result in more team fights. I'm debating whether to move the central cap as its not quite in the main area, more of a side route but not sure how to go about this.
  • Aditionally, new area of high ground in mid with a one way drop down. Designed to be an interesting alt-route
  • Fowards spawns have been removed.
    • Now that the travel time isnt as severe, I removed fowards spawns.
    • Aditionally, backcapping mid would often result in previous defenders spawning behind the attackers. Would create chaos, and didnt really work for 3cp
  • Spawn times and cap times have been adjusted
    • Last cap has been increased from 10s to 12s to allow defenders to make their way back
    • Respawnwavetime has been changed to 7s, owning mid reduces this to 4s
  • New Water
    • Re-simmed and extended loop time
    • Added sea foam
    • Added mipmaps
    • Reduced filesize
  • Minor adjustments to soundscapes.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Custard1

aa
Mar 15, 2015
Notes after watching a13c demo

• Still very stalematey
    • Defenders still spawn too fast?
    • Spawn is too close. Though moving this only increases travel time. I do not want to resort to adding forwards spawns again. Maybe move it to a corner of the room and the point further away from it? Spawn could be beach side (where it used to be) and point near the screen.
    • upload_2021-10-5_15-58-52.png
    • However, the whole reason I made the current last like this was to make the map line up with battle lines a little more. Otherwise, screen side low route and mid route become the only direct way to the point and the fighting becomes too wide and flanky
  • New route and mid
    • It got used, generally didn't see much action. Mid was capped then never retaken in a big fight. It seems to be very dependent on who's scouts can get there first.
    • Increase locked time?
    • More cover. Beaches are very exposed, and I never saw anyone go behind the pipes. Keep point exposed to stop backcapping but give more cover for people on the beaches.
    • New route was used, pretty well. Took some traffic away from shed whilst not spreading the battle line in yard too thin. Doesn't seem to be any complaints about it. New area behind point saw a bit of use
  • Last: I didnt make any changes to last from A13b, still trying to figure it out
    • Too many flanks? There's 4 routes right now; High, mid and low L+R. I never saw anyone use low beach side, could remove or rework. At the same time, it needs to be easier to push out. Though attackers just out of room 04 are being attacked from 180 degrees right now.

Custard1

aa
Mar 15, 2015
Not much this update

• Complete rework of health and ammo placement. Deleted all packs and replaced them where appropriate
  • Closed off old shed route some more to make it less likely for people to go there
  • Some lighting changes
  • Extended skybox range
  • Added tower (wip)
  • Added some props (wip)
  • Changes to sea foam

Custard1

aa
Mar 15, 2015
  • Extended water push brush
  • Added some dirt in mid to help with clipping along the train
  • Bug fixes
  • Skybox adjustments to help with framerate
  • Temp blocked off some sightlines outside of the map to try and help framerate, or at least keep it playable until optimisation pass
  • Forgot to enable vis hints, re-enabled them.
  • Added textures to Y trusses
Still got more stuff to implement but want to see if there's any other major things to work out.

upload_2021-12-1_15-14-44.png

Custard1

aa
Mar 15, 2015

Custard1

aa
Mar 15, 2015
Custard1 updated Canaveral with a new update entry:

Beta 1: Accessing feedback (ramblings of a madman)

Beta 1 has come and gone. Seems the last 3 tests were just balanced weird, or adding detail changes things up a bit. Had a stalematey game.

Seems there is a bit of back and fowards between Mid and just before last, but once attackers hunker down in the staging area before last. it becomes a game of trench warefare. Attackers dont think there's an easy way to push in, whilst defenders don't see a way out.
1644733136282.png

Staging area

Problem could be that this...

Custard1

aa
Mar 15, 2015

B2

• Removed some props that arent quite ready yet due to missing textures
  • Changed some skins on some doors to hopefully get packed this time
  • Reversed the stairway at last:
    • Right now this is a quick bandaid idea. A possible reason for players not using balcony was that they had to look backwards to do so before then going upstairs. Reversing the stairs so players now see the route on the side as they make their way into last.
    • Also means attackers might not use this...

Custard1

aa
Mar 15, 2015

5CP B4

Beta 4, added 2 more control points and forwards spawns to test how 5cp works. No center forward spawn due to a bug yet, but working on something

• Added 5cp
  • Changed mid
    • More of a hill to make holding the point more interesting
    • Health adjustments

Custard1

aa
Mar 15, 2015

B4b 5cp

• Reduced cap time for last spawn
  • Added a medium ammo pack to mid
  • Sunk medium health kit on the boat in mid
  • Added forwards spawns for attacking last.
  • Fixed an issue where people could spawn in forwards spawn in next round
  • Capping second now adds more time
  • Fixed some clipping issues
  • Added a few more props near last to make it slightly less daunting for defenders to push back
  • Reduced health going into last as small kits instead to make it harder for attackers to...

Katsu! :3

Veteran Cat
aa
Jul 30, 2021
Hey, you should probably update the description for this post if you're going to be sticking to 5CP for a few versions.

Custard1

aa
Mar 15, 2015

B5

Mainly trying to get Canaveral in a more optimised state before I continue with art assets. You'll probably notice some weird clipping and models being removed whilst they get art passed.

• Closed up the map some more
  • Moved details into the skybox, such as last building.
  • Mid spawn is no longer some weird elevator. Instead, its just a spawn above mid in the tower.
  • Logic regarding this new spawn.
  • Rocket takeoff in skybox should be fixed.

Custard1

aa
Mar 15, 2015

Regarding 3cp

In case anyone is worried, it should be known right now that I still plan to include a 3cp version when this is done. Right now, in terms of layout, there's no difference between 5cp and 3cp. Ideally I'd like to keep it that way.

Whilst 5cp might not be entirely standard due to this, I really want to keep the initial vision I had for this map as 3cp..... even though 5cp plays a lot better.....

Custard1

aa
Mar 15, 2015
Custard1 updated Canaveral [3CP] with a new update entry:

B6b

• 3cp is back. For 5cp, follow this download
  • Added forwards spawns for whoever owns mid
  • Meanwhile, if someone loses mid, they now get teleported back to main if in forwards spawn. Furthermore, a forcerespawn to try and stop sudden backcaps
  • You can now re-enter forwards spawn, and now has a resupply cabinet
  • Lots of art pass work
    • New models for tower
    • Rocket engine
    • Walls
    • More walls
    • Some...

Custard1

aa
Mar 15, 2015
Custard1 updated Canaveral [3CP] with a new update entry:

B8

• New rocket tower and models
    • Updated rocket model and new texture to fit the original Saturn V better
    • New animations and updated particles to fit closer to a rocket ascent rate
    • New arms and clamps so the rocket isnt just hovering
    • Skybox versions of all clamps, more assets in the skybox to stop visibility flickers
  • More assets and art around the map
    • Red spawn recieved its first pass
    • Both spawns have a projector with exposition
    • New chair...