Breaking Update News: Sniper Update Info!

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
You're arguing that a weapon you've never tried out yet (nor has anyone else) sucks. Whats more is you're acting like its a closed case, as though theres no possible way you could possibly be wrong....

:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm

Did you even read a word that I wrote? How about you prove my points wrong? Right now, it's a more gimmicky and useless weapon then the sandvich. It only counters one class, and that one class can bypass that counter. How can it even be hypothetically good?

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
BTW The dead spy in the background dropped a brown, wooden gun.

3532369360_d346b58ae8_o.jpg

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Did you even read a word that I wrote? How about you prove my points wrong? Right now, it's a more gimmicky and useless weapon then the sandvich. It only counters one class, and that one class can bypass that counter. How can it even be hypothetically good?
I'm not going to make any generalisations and draw conclusions until I've got my hands on it and played with it for several hours at very least. You're just jumping the gun and drawing conclusions before its released.. which no matter what angle you spin it, is still plain stupid.
So yeah, I did read all of the words you wrote, and suggesting I prove your points wrong just confirms how matured you're making your conclusions out to be whilst they're still incredably premature.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Am I the only one that actually likes and uses the SMG frequently? It's a perfect weapon to: 1. track cloaking spies (trying to run away) 2. kill pyros, demomen (soldiers) after a headshot 3. remove stickies.

Low dps? It kills when it only has to deal 25-50 damage.

I probably wont be using the razorback, but I will try it.

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
What do you want me to say? Sorry for speculating? I, and hopefully everyone else here, realize that this is pure speculation and we're simply discussing what Valve has provided us with. When did I ever say that this was the final conclusion? I'm just providing the best argument with what limited data we have, which is what everyone does.

bittman

L1: Registered
Dec 7, 2008
Looks like a perfect sidegrade to me. Assists with camping snipers, yet not really useful for the frontlines so it has a win and lose aspect which I'd rate as even: making it a sidegrade.

That said, I'll probably stick with the SMG, it's too useful to be able to track and chip away at enemies whilst fleeing.

T

The Asylum

Am I the only one that actually likes and uses the SMG frequently? It's a perfect weapon to: 1. track cloaking spies (trying to run away) 2. kill pyros, demomen (soldiers) after a headshot 3. remove stickies.

Low dps? It kills when it only has to deal 25-50 damage.

I probably wont be using the razorback, but I will try it.

You're not the only one. I can't remember the last time I gave someone the ol chop chop (Then again, I can't remember the last time I played Sniper either :p), but I regularily have the SMG out when in "adventure mode." Sure it does horrible damage but 1/2 SMG clip + chop chop = Dead anything below 175 HP

T

The Asylum

Maybe they're trying to entice more people to play it? (or they have some mappers that just enjoy making arena maps)

I know people like the Arena version of Meleefort and will gladly play it over some other "serious" maps, more than the CP or CTF versions.

Of course, the currenly builds of cp/ctf meleefort are horribly broken, so that may or may not be the root cause of arena_meleefort's popularity.

Hawk

L7: Fancy Member
Dec 3, 2007
What do you want me to say? Sorry for speculating? I, and hopefully everyone else here, realize that this is pure speculation and we're simply discussing what Valve has provided us with. When did I ever say that this was the final conclusion? I'm just providing the best argument with what limited data we have, which is what everyone does.

I don't think there's anything wrong with your speculation, but you do seem to treat it as fact and then throw it back in our faces with a "told you so" at the end. And we know you're quite a bit harder to please, so we're not as likely to take your complaints seriously.

Now here's the thing... The point of the sniper is to keep other enemies from ever getting close enough to be a problem. Therefore, the sniper has two main enemies: Other snipers, because they don't have to get close, and spies, who can sneak up to even a good sniper. So I don't think it's a problem that they've made something specifically anti-spy.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
Arena maps are an easy way to pump out new maps. They couldn't possibly release Sawmill or Nucleus as full maps because they already have their hands full developing and testing Pipeline. Full Valve maps tend to be released every 2 updates. A shame, yes, but it's better than having nothing!

As for the shield, someone mentioned that it could be invisible for the enemy.. in which case it would be suddenly more interesting.

Rikka

L5: Dapper Member
Feb 10, 2009
Good snipers don't just run out and shoot people with the smg, they stay in a spot and snipe. The Razorback is useful for the sniper because he snipes. When you're a sniper who do you get killed by the most? Either other snipers, or spies. This stops the spies, why are you unhappy with this? Oh that's right, because your never happy with anything Valve gives us and you always want more from them. Be thankful they give us updates like these. (directed at anyone who is whining about the Razorback)

Really dislike this kind of post. It's essentially saying "shut up, you can't talk, no opinions!" Whining is one thing, discussion is another.

While people are (as always) jumping to conclusions, Razorback does look like crap. I'll wait for the snipers to actually get a chance with it before making a final judgment, though.

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
I'd like if it could be used against more then ONE WEAPON, and if it wasn't a passive weapon. Why can't it be a shield that you equip that blocks all instant kills and instead only takes half off your health away? This way you must actively use it, it's usable against all classes, it allows the sniper to escape once his spot has been compromised, and serves as a comparable side-grade to the offensive capabilities of the smg.

Schmoe

L2: Junior Member
May 18, 2008
If you are relying on the SMG "ur doin it rong".

Granted if you are offense-minded, then maybe ignoring the new shield and sticking with the old weapon is a good idea.

If you like to sit patiently in the back corner and pick off opponents, then I'd rather leave my SMG in the locker room than worry about constantly having to zoom out and rotate my viewport in the off chance that a spy is waiting for me. It really depends on the map and the gamemode.

EDIT: I'll add that I think this update has everything for the types of folks that like to play the sniper. Some sit in the corner. Others (like me) like to move up and take the risk of missing a couple of shots before landing a headshot or two before respawning. The shield is for the campers. The bow is for the front line. They don't need to be used at the same time or necessary that every new item be used in the same loadout.

Last edited:

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
I'd like if it could be used against more then ONE WEAPON, and if it wasn't a passive weapon. Why can't it be a shield that you equip that blocks all instant kills and instead only takes half off your health away? This way you must actively use it, it's usable against all classes, it allows the sniper to escape once his spot has been compromised, and serves as a comparable side-grade to the offensive capabilities of the smg.

this actually intrigues me somehow...

although part of it is phrased kinda stupidly...I mean, it completely loses its effectiveness against spies if you need to have it equipped, no one is ever going to stand there and wait for a spy, it needs to be there at all times to block the backstab otherwise its pointless

what interests me though is that while other weapons are equipped the shield could remain on your back and guard against spies, but then you would be able to switch to it, actually hold the shield in front of you and use it to lessen damage as you retreat, doing this would of course make you vulnerable to spies again...this is what i call a reasonable trade-off

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
Also, it seems like it won't stop spies since instead of a backstab a spy needs to just shot 2~3 times which is extremely easy on a scoped sniper. So it kinda fails. But I'm happy that you agree that this weapon should be used more actively. Right now it's more of an attribute than a weapon.

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
1. Any thoughts on the dead's spy brown gun?

spyuncloak.jpg

new feign death for the spy?

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
ow, that was actaully on valve's site for a bit. like legit this was shopped by valve.

spyuncloaked.jpg

Take a look at the URL on top. This was really done by Valve.