Blazewalk

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Only thing i can think of to say is "big".

Once a team got 4th it was easy for them to set up a temporary base before pushing on out. I guess it kinda depends on the spawn wave timing cause when it happened against my team i was usaully already on my way to retake the point. The team gets funneled through the upper door, and taking the lower route gets you walking into a room where the entire enemy team is looking down on you. Unless it was a ninja cap or a team is readily defending the point to cap it back, taking 4th usually garauntees taking 5th too. It looked pretty hard to defend and it was certainly easy to assault and knock people off.

The middles quite hectic, you usually have 2 snipers shooting down on you, pyro's flanking containers and soldiers and demo's coming from above. It was enjoyable gameplay i suppose but something didn't really seem right. I think it was just the long walking times and anti-climactic fights after the initial heated battle in the middle.

Detailing was pretty good as well.

Other than mentioning those experiences i'm not really sure what to advise next. You should make the steps on the wooden stairs in the new flanking route to middle smaller though. They are kinda big.

Oh, and before i forget. Right before i took this picture i noticed that when these gates open i can see them before the cliff face. I don't know whether this was some LOD model causing it to show through when it wouldn't/doesn't normally, but it did.

Last edited:

honeymustard

L9: Fashionable Member
Oct 26, 2009
Thanks for the reply. I'll have to watch your POV on the STV when I get it, sounds interesting.

Based on your feedback, it sounds like I still need to work on the lobby area before last. I've definitely noticed it's quite hard to get out and flank the attackers, compared to say the Badlands lobby. I have some ideas for some changes, hopefully I'll have a new version out tomorrow or Friday.

I have played quite a few games where the defenders were able to take back CP2, though. When I joined, the attackers had managed to get up two sentries in the lobby, which did effectively lock it down, which is something that hadn't occurred in previous tests. Still, I think one good uber would have cleared out the lobby.

Last edited:

honeymustard

Oct 26, 2009
rc1 released

- Redesigned the first spawn's doors
- Rearranged the third spawns - now you spawn facing the direction you need to go
- Added a new side route between the first and second point
- Adjusted spawn times slightly
- Tons of small detail fixes and additions
- Fixed a case of capture point skins not changing when they were captured
- Better optimisation around cp1 and the lobby
- HDR

Here are a couple of pictures of the major changes:

rt0uux.jpg

The new third spawns, on the middle point. They've finally been angled in such a way that you will spawn facing the direction you need to go, rather than having to turn 90 degrees.

bf5bmu.jpg

New spawn on last, makes it a lot more open, and you won't bump into the window as you leave any more.

11vqoig.jpg

New route outside, bypassing the lobby, which leads down to the side room, next to the last point:

157m8ox.jpg

I have some more ideas for layout adjustments and alternate routes, though I don't want to add too much at once.

honeymustard

Oct 26, 2009
rc2 released

- Added func_respawnroom to Blu's first spawn (whoops...)
- Fixed some clipping on Red's first spawn
- Added a small ammo pack to the left house (next to the small healthpack)
- Replaced open crate on cp2 with planks
- Redesigned the ceiling on cp1
- Added detail to cp2 and 3 to give purpose to other details
- Reduced cap times on each control point by 1 second
- Reduced spawn times for attackers
- Fixed lighting in side tunnel on cp1

New images in the OP.

edit: whoops, there's a small error, will take the download down temporarily.

Last edited:

honeymustard

Oct 26, 2009
I guess I'll bump for some feedback after the impromptu test. Seems like all I got back was that cp2 caps a bit too fast, which is easily fixable.

honeymustard

Oct 26, 2009
rc4 released (rc3 was a private release)

- Added a new route to push cp5
- Adjusted spawn times and capture times
- Readded the health pack to the bridge on cp3
- Fixed the second spawn door going through the window
- Complete redo of optimisation, fps should be a lot better
- Detail, clipping and soundscape fixes
- Added menu photos

If no significant problems show up in the next lot of testing, this will be the final version.

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
cp_blazewalk_rc40001.jpg

People are using this roof, i don't know whether that's intentional?

It just looks/feels weird that they have access to that roof but can't just walk out of the map on the other side.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
This is probably one of the best looking custom maps I have ever played. You did an amazing job on that!

I thought it played quite well too. However, I'm a little skeptical to the route for the CP3-CP2 connector area that lets you completely bypass CP2 and instead go straight for CP1. I can't really say whether this could cause problems or not because I've only played the map once, but it doesn't seem right...

honeymustard

Oct 26, 2009
cp_blazewalk_rc40001.jpg

People are using this roof, i don't know whether that's intentional?

It just looks/feels weird that they have access to that roof but can't just walk out of the map on the other side.

When I originally had the spawns facing inwards to the CP, you could (scouts at least) use the buildings etc to jump from one balcony to the other. When I moved them, you can't quite make it, so I left the edge of the roof walkable so you have a bit more movement. I added the tyres etc to block it off, so I think it works fine once you learn it.

And cheers muffin man. That route is a bit weird actually, was considering shutting it off after cp2 is capped, but not sure.

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
Fair enough, i just thought i'd mention that you really don't expect to be killed from there since it's a roof on the edge of the map. Plus the rocks prevent you from seeing anyone access the roof, demomen were using this route a lot to shoot over the top of the rocks and down from the roof top. It's a real ninja flank because visibility is so poor, and it's so high that if you're close enough, you'll never see someone coming.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
I just assumed that roof had a clipping error. As soon as you're able to walk on a little bit of roof, you'd assume you can walk on the rest as well, so I don't really like it if you intend to keep it like that.

honeymustard

Oct 26, 2009
rc5 released

- Redesigned the first spawn and top exit
- Reworked the top entrances to the lobby
- Broke up the house on the left at cp3
- Added a sliding door to the lobby exit into the yard
- Tons of detailing and more optimisation

Still have a couple of ideas to create a better flow at cp1 and cp2, but we'll see how testing goes now.

I made a promotional poster and website, because everyone's doing it these days. Click for the website: