Blank_redux

CP Blank_redux a3

Spipper

Former cheese man Gorgonzola
aa
Feb 18, 2012
Here's another small update.
I'm pretty happy with how mid, second and the connector between them plays.
However, I can't say the same thing for last and the connector between these two: I believe the entrances to last from the choke is a bit too close to each other, and perhaps opens up into open space too quickly - the result is that it's difficult for attackers to enter the last cp area.
The one-way shortcut for the defenders also proved to be a bad idea - the defenders could bypass the choke for free, and easily harass the attackers from behind. While the whole idea behind the shortcut was to give the defending team an easier opportunity to push out of last (unless the attacking team had taken control of the building and shut down the shortcut) it felt like it was too powerful for the defenders. So I removed it.
However, I fear that the attacking team can lock down the choke too easily now since a single player technically can watch every path. I will also leave the said player in a pretty vulnerable position, so perhaps it isn't a problem.

Changelog for a5:
Overall:
  • Spun the entire map around: Now it is the Red facade that faces the sun.
Mid:
  • Moved the medium healthkit into the choke (where it replaced the small healthkit).
2nd:
  • Increased the brightness of a lamp. Yep, that's it.
Last:
  • Removed the shortcut
  • Removed the container at the main route to last, and replaced it with some props to act as cover. The main route itself has been widened by 128 units.
In the next update, I'm probably going to redo the last area and fix the connectors. I do have a few ideas I'd like to try out, but I got some other projects I want to work on first.

Read the rest of this update entry...

FloofCollie

I really suck!
aa
Nov 5, 2016
During the IMP I found that the flow of the corridors around second (next to the point) was really weird, I kept going places I didn't want to coming from last unless I went down to the point area and exited out the bottom doors.

Spipper

aa
Feb 18, 2012
During the IMP I found that the flow of the corridors around second (next to the point) was really weird, I kept going places I didn't want to coming from last unless I went down to the point area and exited out the bottom doors.

A couple of people have noted that the flow around 2nd is a little odd. I'm not really sure why tho, since all you have to do after exiting the shortcut is go straight forward in order to get to mid.
However, it's perhaps not clear where exactly the mid is relative to 2nd. When exiting the shortcut, did you think the mid where to the right of you?

Spipper

aa
Feb 18, 2012
I may have missed out on the payload contest, but at least I managed to finish a new version of cp_blanktown! Here's a6a:

Mid
  • Dug out a new sneaky route through the houses adjacent the capture point.
  • Expanded the left lower area approaching the point.
2nd
  • Added new route between defenders hold and the lower garage leading to the point.
  • Carved out a new doorway to the 2nd floor for the attackers.
  • Moved staircase connecting the 1st and 2nd floor.
  • Added jumppad connecting the 1st and 3rd floor.
Forgot to grab any new screenshots, but I will do a more detailed writeup on the changes in a bit.

Spipper

aa
Feb 18, 2012
The purpose of this update is to sort out some of the problems with the 2nd point that cropped up in the last test.
As it is right now, all traffic is funneled into the same room (the large storage room) with the result being an absolute spamfest. I originally hoped the distribution of players among the rooms' three floors would thin out this traffic and create separate fights on each floor, that had the potential to dynamically congregate into larger fights (e.g. by people dropping down onto lower floors), but right now it's way too chaotic.
Especially since it seems like the majority of attacking players enters the 2nd CP room by the 1st or 3rd floor with no easy way to approach the 2nd floor, except walking through all the spam or wasting a lot of time rotating between routes.

Therefore I carved out a new door connecting the attacker's lobby with the 2nd floor:
BGBjZgv.jpg

Attackers should now have an easier time rotating between the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd floor which should help distribute attackers more evenly between the floors.

To help players rotate between the floors I have also added a jumppad connecting the 1st floor with the 3rd.
Iwza7jz.jpg

It's a little broken at the moment but I think it will lead to some fun gameplay moments and interesting options.

To thin out traffic further, I connected the garage adjacent to the point with the defenders' lobby/hold.
C10hWAd.jpg

uph9dVW.jpg

This creates a sneaky route, especially useful for spies, but also players who want to peek on sentry positions. It's a risky path that can be locked down by spam easily but it circumvents the spammy storage room completely.

With all these changes, the 2nd point should hopefully be more fun to attack/defend and feel less spammy/cluttered.

I also changed the area around the midpoint a bit. I feel the roof of the midpoint is too strong when it comes to holding the area: It offers high ground, a great overview of the area and isn't flanked by any other route.

To counter this position, a new flank has been added through the house:
1sY8BqX.jpg

cHFqKJz.jpg

This new window allows pyros and spies to penetrate holds on the roof a little easier, while also allowing aggressive players attacking the lower left side to retreat without having to traverse the glasshouse.

Speaking of the lower left area, it has been expanded a bit:
OcCwuoy.jpg

This is to allow medics and other more passive classes to hang around close to the battle and stage an attack, without being spammed to death by players on the roof.

That's it! With the next update, I'm going to move the forward spawn at the 2nd point up to the upper floors (it's way too easy for sneaky spies to wait in the new flank route, and stab newly spawned players dropping down) as well as cleaning up the last CP area.
After that, I'm probably going to detail it and finish it.

Spipper

aa
Feb 18, 2012
WAT
FUCK YES
I LOVE BLANKTOWN THIS IS AWESOME
Thanks, that's super cool to hear! However, before you get too excited, it's pretty different from what it used to be with this new version - but the spirit of the original blanktown is hopefully still there :p

Spipper

aa
Feb 18, 2012
Spipper updated Blank_redux with a new update entry:

Small fixes, mainly respawn timings.

Updated to A2. Changes includes:
  • Decreased respawn wave timers drastically.
    • They are now: mid: 8/8, mid-cp2: 8/8, cp2-cp3: 7/10
  • Changed a small metal to a small health pack in cp2 flank.
  • Decreased setup time from 60s to 40s.
  • Minor adjustments to forward spawn at mid, to point attackers in the right direction when they spawn.
  • Slightly decreased size of the capture zone for cp2.
  • Rotated stair 90 degrees, to make it easier to rotate between lower and...

Spipper

aa
Feb 18, 2012
Spipper updated Blank_redux with a new update entry:

New game mode! Wooo!

Updated to A3. Changes includes:
  • Slight changes to the 5CP game mode:
    • Instead of having to both attack and defend at the same time, the teams take turns in who gets to attack and who gets to defend, like regular AD. Every time the timer runs out, the roles are switched between the two teams, and the timer is restarted.
    • However, this also means that games have the potential to go on forever. I might have to come up with some overall tie-breaker, such as a second timer...