CP blackmesa2_beta3

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
If Valve ever decides to buy this map, you are going to owe me your born child at this rate. But I'm glad you the assets!

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
If Valve ever decides to buy this map, you are going to owe me your born child at this rate. But I'm glad you liked(or used) the assets!

Grammar fix'd

Not sure how you will want to handle this, but I would suggest killing the player by environmental damage if he is foolish enough to be directly under the crab spawn when it happens.

Overall I greatly approve of the map! It is much better for overall flow of gameplay than Blackmesa final. As well, the map design takes away the hugely diproportionate advantage snipers had on the middle point in the origonal.

I will edit this post if anything else comes up in my additional testing.

-Crazyrockets

And adding enviroment damage after capping a point is not a great affect, even if its because some gets caught under the headcrab, I'd still suggest either try *making non-soild or removing it till you can keep it in.

Last edited:

Dragonhill

L1: Registered
Jul 9, 2008
@Crazyrockets-
Thanks for the input. Looks like the water is getting the most thumbs down so far so that looks like a good action item.
The 2 steves will prob not be changed due to ent_data size. The map almost 100% full. i suppose i could have him swim a pattern around all 3 objects in the water. But I'm thinking you just want to see more steve kills. :D
The dispenser issue is being looked at right now. Something went wrong in the packaging process. So this ends up being a real bear to debug since it looks fine on the source asset computer.
Finally, the head crab that has remaned nameless. This guy is going to get me commited. He laughs at my feeble attempts to control him. I also need to change his death SFX to not be wood splinters flying out.
BTW, I thought that was the most appropriate screen shot for being attacked by a head crab.

Dragonhill

Jul 9, 2008
If Valve ever decides to buy this map, you are going to owe me your born child at this rate. But I'm glad you the assets!

Yea,, Valve using blackmesa as an official map would be the day I start drinking like an Irishman (It was never meant to be one). But I was surprised when I compiled the list of assets to see your name take the trophy for most used. They really do fit the feel of blackmesa (military, modern, etc). If you want a texture in the map with your name on it shoot me a link and i'll plaster it up some where. or better yet, a photo for one of the desks in the offices. I removed the screaming cat photo from mesa final, so I supposed a replacement is in order. Try to make it crazy and low res if you do. The map is fat as it is. Hmm, wonder if i could test it with your tf2maps.net profile picture..................

@Frozen - The headcrab is not meant as an environmental damage after capping.. he is meant to be killed and then he pops out a health pack. Unfortunatly the method that I used means players get "stuck" in him from time to time, which is being confused with "hazard". He does not kill or stun (he used to). While many event maps do this it seamed more players were upset if they were on the recieving end and the players that benifited did not seam happy enough. So I switched the headcrab to a reward system. Find him, shoot him, reap rewards from him. Poor crabby. I want to find a solution to the headcrab problem, but then again most people do.

Last edited:

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
if you could tie a player clip brush over him, that is the shape of like a trapazoidal prism or something, something that would allow people to easily run "over" him, that would work. Can't figured out an easy to do it for when he spawns... I guess a "stand clear of the spawning headcrab" sign would work :p (Not really)

Dragonhill

Jul 9, 2008
if you could tie a player clip brush over him, that is the shape of like a trapazoidal prism or something, something that would allow people to easily run "over" him, that would work. Can't figured out an easy to do it for when he spawns... I guess a "stand clear of the spawning headcrab" sign would work :p (Not really)

You hit the issue right on the head <crab>. What to do about spawning. best solution i can think of is a blast wave originating at center (no damage). If that did not work then a kill box. Unfortunatly we get back to the issue of chucking a handgrenade at the player for trying to cap the point.
I can also check to see if a player is there and then choose not to spawn. not a real big deal and then i can up the chance for head crab spawn.
that may be the best simple solution (with a player clip of course)

Crazyrockets

Jan 25, 2011
And adding enviroment damage after capping a point is not a great affect, even if its because some gets caught under the headcrab, I'd still suggest either try *making non-soild or removing it till you can keep it in.
Thats true. The team might not appreciate it when their primary offensive classes get instant-killed by the crab if it spawns when they are standing there.

One other possiblity that I can think of that wouldn't involve collision detection or disabling clipping on the head crab model is having the head crab spawn out of the floor. You could keep the light effect above, but have it rise up from beneath floor-level, which would just temporarily lift the players up instead of clipping them down. Then problem solved, no players clipped into the head crab/floor and noone has to get hurt (Except the poor crab when the players slaughter him for his healthpacks)

@Dragonhill: That SS was complete luck. I haven't managed to get another repeat performance as good as that one was! Most of the time I would just get clipped into the floor and not move.
And yes, I do love a good Steve kill! I may not get the credit for it, but the laughter value makes up for it :p

Dragonhill

Jul 9, 2008
@Dragonhill: That SS was complete luck. I haven't managed to get another repeat performance as good as that one was! Most of the time I would just get clipped into the floor and not move.
And yes, I do love a good Steve kill! I may not get the credit for it, but the laughter value makes up for it :p

I keep forgetting, do you get credit for a steve kill if you airblast or do damage to the player just before the event?

Crazyrockets

Jan 25, 2011
I keep forgetting, do you get credit for a steve kill if you airblast or do damage to the player just before the event?

I don't think so. It seems like every time I do so I don't get the credit at least.
Then again, people usually don't help me test that for some reason :p

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
You hit the issue right on the head <crab>. What to do about spawning. best solution i can think of is a blast wave originating at center (no damage). If that did not work then a kill box. Unfortunatly we get back to the issue of chucking a handgrenade at the player for trying to cap the point.
I can also check to see if a player is there and then choose not to spawn. not a real big deal and then i can up the chance for head crab spawn.
that may be the best simple solution (with a player clip of course)

I see what you did there.

ad I see what your saying... I don't know how it spawns, but maybe setting up a trigger_push or something like that, just to clear the area... or have it spawn on a wall or something and climb on the ceiling, problems solved there....

Dragonstorm24

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 16, 2009
it could do the Llamar animation and jump from a vent to a wall or cabinet or something then get onto an uper platform and climb into a vent

Dragonhill

Jul 9, 2008
it could do the Llamar animation and jump from a vent to a wall or cabinet or something then get onto an uper platform and climb into a vent

That would make me smile to see that. But I have not talked about "how" the headcrab works in blackmesa. While "he" is using the idle/walk animation in the map I do not have access to more advanced animations that would be required. It would also add to the ent_data pool to script in more functionality. I'm at the ent_data pool size right now. Purhapes I could reduce the pool size here or there to free up some memory we still run into the animations not being provided. I don't want to request an animator try to rebuild the animations and then export them for Lamar. He is cute though.

I just saw a player get sucked down into the floor by Lamar. It was funny to have a defensive player turret on a cap point. And then I stopped laughing thinking about the solution to the problem.

Dragonhill

Jul 9, 2008
My suggestion would be: make the headcrab model nonsolid, parent a func_button to it. Set it to disable the headcrab and spawn an item_healthpack on damage, then kill the healthpack after ten seconds or so.

Hmm,interesting,, a func_button. I have not tried to use that. Can that be shot/damaged/destroyed? The head crab does have it's model set to non-solid. Currently it's a func_breakable that is parented to the head crabby (and then parented to a train for movement). And So far I am unable to spawn any health pack on destroy as it seams that has been disabled in tf2?. Current method is a slight of hand trick to make the health pack appear where the head crab was killed (you really don't want to know, very ugly).

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Func_buttons on their own are invulnerable but you can use some output wizardryand do OnDamaged -> !self -> kill

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
func_button can be set to activate on damaged, i think. spawning health-packs on kill could be done by enabling a parented healthpack? i dont know.

point_template or a spawner system if you want to be fancy.

Dragonhill

Jul 9, 2008
I'll try to address a few comments here
1)I'm using a func_breackable to control the damage amount vs just any damage.. purhapes this is over kill and any damage should kill crabby?
2) yea, the large health was more of a placeholder to see how much impact it had on game play. First, i Actually hate seeing that huge box appear (I also just don't like it) and second the idea that the one that touched it basically just got a get out of jail free card for health seems wrong too. I'll be swapping that for a medium. I wish I could give the player something more clever but my cards are limited right now.

3)I also avoided using a point template because crabby never really dies. he just gets moved back to his home, func_breakables health is restored and the cycle just repeats it slef when he gets called. This is simliar to the targets in the training maps.

Point templates are used for the spawning in effect. except for the green light. For some reason it worked better having a unique light at easy spawn point. I hated that.

I really do need to change the damage FX though, the wood creeps me out.