Battlefield: Bad Company 2

owly-oop

im birb
aa
Apr 14, 2009
I can't play this game. Whenever i launch it, the "updating bc2" steam window pops up and steam just locks up. Can't do anything with steam, it's frozen. I don't know if it's actually doing anything other than sitting there

Edit: Nevermind i got it to work somehow :O

Last edited:

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
It seems that this might come be coming to Mac also.

Both men were happy to hear about Valve’s Mac support. “I love it,” Mr. Taylor told The Escapist’s Greg Tito, and Mr. Troedsson tweeted: "Steam for Mac - Gabe, we like it." The Universal Gaming Database (UGD) asked Mr. Troedsson to elaborate and he said: "We're currently investigating the possibility of making BFBC2 [Battlefield Bad Company 2] available on Mac." UGD noted that BFBC2 on Windows brings more players online than the PlayStation 3 and Xbox editions combined. The last Mac title released by EA DICE was Battlefield 2142 during the summer of 2008.

Source

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
i still dont understand why these guys dont use steam's server browser, instead of reinventing a wheel (a broken wheel at that)

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Because they (EA, most likely) don't want the game to be tied to Steam.

Matt4019

L1: Registered
Feb 22, 2009
Didn't valve publish their games for console through EA?

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
Buggy as hell. It's hard to find a low ping server, because I am unable to even view pings!

ARGH.

eyefork

L3: Member
Oct 27, 2008
Buggy as hell. It's hard to find a low ping server, because I am unable to even view pings!

ARGH.

Right click the game's executable, go to Properties, click the compatibility tab, tick "Run as administrator". Should fix that problem.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Right click the game's executable, go to Properties, click the compatibility tab, tick "Run as administrator". Should fix that problem.

Two problems;
1. This doesn't actually fix it for me.
2. This makes W7 require permission to launch anything within Steam.

eyefork

L3: Member
Oct 27, 2008
Two problems;
1. This doesn't actually fix it for me.
2. This makes W7 require permission to launch anything within Steam.

You didn't make Steam run as administrator did you?

Anywho if that doesn't work then I'm out of ideas. I had the same problem with the beta though and that's what fixed it for me :confused:

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Yeah, it worked in the beta for me as well. :/

However, running the game shortcut as admin makes Windows assume that it should also run Steam as admin, which makes it request permission all the time.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
Theoretically you could use some tools to figure out what it's trying to do that needs admin access, and maybe hack something up in the registry so that your non-admin user can do it. Really it sounds like DICE's responsibility to fix it.

Maybe it has something to do with "raw sockets" in XP. I wonder if there's a way to grant just that right to a non-admin user... Apparently you can open the door to raw sockets for all users, but that enables certain nasty malware possibilities.

I don't have BC2 and the demo doesn't run, so I cannot test this myself. (Well, I could, but I'm also too lazy to make a test app that uses raw sockets.) But for those who are brave of heart and who won't accidentally wipe their own registry and cry about it, I have a suggestion. Using regedit, create or alter this registry key:
Code:
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\AllowUserRawAccess
The type should be DWORD and use 1 or 0 for true or false. Set it to true.

Reboot, see if things work.

Last edited:

Impulse

L2: Junior Member
Nov 1, 2009
I got it to work on windows 7 by puting this into command prompt, it should also work on windows vista but no earlier os, this basically disables ECN
Code:
netsh interface tcp set global ecncapability=disabled