Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Tapp

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 26, 2009
What I find annoying is that the UAV controls and the chopper controls are bound to the same 'invert vertical axis' checkbox. This means that I cannot set both to the controls I wish to use. I needed to invert the chopper controls because I thought it made sense that if you move the mouse down you will lean forward (ergo, the crosshair will move down) but instead it leans up. I inverted the y axis, and now the UAV is broken. Dice managed to make sure that at all times, the controls of at least one aspect will be different to the rest, always. How I hope I can bind a key or seperate config to the helicopter.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
Well, I've just about collected all of the weapons, gadgets, and specializations you can get in the demo, and my big concern with the game is that it seems a mismatch for the PC, especially when it comes to voice chat. While the "Social button" isn't bad, it's definitely a big step down from some of the prior offerings where you had a much wider range of possible messages.
  • Unlikely grenade-launcher hit on a copter.

C4 annoyance:
I do not like the "Toss a bunch of your own C4 onto an ATV, drive it into the objective, and blow it up" strategy, which works annoyingly well when a single enemy tries it and and requires a disproportionate amount of teamwork to effectively block.

I suspect Dice intended the "Oh, brute force works too" angle to simply be a release valve for long stalemates of indoor squad-based firefights, but unfortunately it's turned into one of the main ways to destroy the stations.

Arming/defusing thoughts:
  • Allow someone to continue arming/defusing after pressing E as long as they are near enough. No need to hold E or continuously look at the crate.
  • Make it so that every additional person attempting to arm/defuse quickens the process.

What I find annoying is that the UAV controls and the chopper controls are bound to the same 'invert vertical axis' checkbox.

^Thisthisthisthis. I wanted to do the same thing and got pissed off about it.

Last edited:

Eyce

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 13, 2010
Well, I've just about collected all of the weapons, gadgets, and specializations you can get in the demo, and my big concern with the game is that it seems a mismatch for the PC, especially when it comes to voice chat. While the "Social button" isn't bad, it's definitely a big step down from some of the prior offerings where you had a much wider range of possible messages.

Worst feeling ever knowing you could have hit the pilot. (The icon for the heli is always where the pilot is. Pretty handy.)

Tapp said:
Arming/defusing thoughts:
  • Allow someone to continue arming/defusing after pressing E as long as they are near enough. No need to hold E or continuously look at the crate.
  • Make it so that every additional person attempting to arm/defuse quickens the process.

Umm... You don't need to look at the crate to defuse. You still hold E but you're perfectly capable of walking around the crate within the bounds and kill people.

Dr. KillPatient

L3: Member
May 10, 2009
Hmm, I may just buy the game, but it's published by EA. Did they include any sneaky DRM or anything in the steam version?

Also, for someone who prefers games like TF2 and L4D, would it be a good choice, and is there enough variety to keep it going for a while?

Nutomic

L11: Posh Member
Feb 7, 2009
I hate how the controls for UAV and helicopter seem to differ. I can more or less fly a heli, but i cant seem to get the UAV of the floor, no matter what key i press (what is the key to go up?).

Its also extremely laggy for me, even after they patched it partially, and oing isnt displayed in the server browser...

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
I blame Port Valdez for every problem in the Beta.

Radaka

L420: High Member
May 24, 2009
Maybe someone can help me with a control.

I have no clue how to fire the gun on the UAV. Left and right click don't seem to do it, just fire a missile.

Naso

L2: Junior Member
Jun 11, 2009
The UAV gun was a little over powered on the consoles I think. Would be running to defend and suddenly get killed from really.... really... far away by that thing.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Friday is the day we shall lose access to the beta and all our progress. :(

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
The UAV is much easier to control than the Heli, really. The only problem is you can't look straight down :p

Worst feeling ever knowing you could have hit the pilot. (The icon for the heli is always where the pilot is. Pretty handy.)
In retrospect I might've, and the gunner could have been smart and swapped positions.

But later on I think I got a 5-kill with the UAV as the defenders rushed to the first B-pit mcom station :D So many damn little point messages, it really made my day.1

Friday is the day we shall lose access to the beta and all our progress. :(

If I can't carry over my progress into the Demo (will they release one?) I'll be pissed.

BTW, promotional pre-order for North America... get 2142 as well.

Last edited:

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Sorry to be the bringer of bad news, Terr, but I'm afraid your assumptions are correct. Still, it's fairer that everybody starts off at the same level.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Except those of us who just put in all our CD Keys get an M1, and the Steam preorder gave something else too.

Nutomic

L11: Posh Member
Feb 7, 2009
Sorry to be the bringer of bad news, Terr, but I'm afraid your assumptions are correct. Still, it's fairer that everybody starts off at the same level.

It doesnt matter at all which level people start, because there will be some that play the game almost 24/7, thus reaching level 20 after a week.

But i find it ok to start from zero, because that whole level thing is a lot of motivation, and thats always good :)