Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
As with other BF games there is an option to enable localised VO but the option seems to be broken in the BETA.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
So what's the damage bonus for a headshot? I only got headshot messages after the most recent patch.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
I think it's instant kill with all weapons.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
It's instant kill with RPGs, as I've discovered on numerous occasions of wasteful usage of ammo.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
If it were TF2 I'm just pop out some bots and do tests there... Meh.

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
it DEFINATELY grows on you. i hated it for the first few hours

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
it DEFINATELY grows on you. i hated it for the first few hours

Good.

I was wondering about this.

I've only played into it maybe an hour or 2. Enough time ot play D twice and O twice.

So far its very "MEH" as im getting killed Err... MURDERED by everyones 12x upgraded gun/mortar etc.

I'll put a few more hours into it before i say i like or dislike it.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
So far I've experienced it as a really choppy and laggy game where I can't tell very well whats going on. There seems to be no coordination of the team and the spawnpoints seem to be well away from what you need to be doing. I think. Considering the game doesn't tell you well what you're supposed to be doing.
Servers in my city are ~300 ping and the FPS seems to be really choppy despite me being able to run MW2 on the highest settings without and inkling of choppyness.

eyefork

L3: Member
Oct 27, 2008
Good.

I was wondering about this.

I've only played into it maybe an hour or 2. Enough time ot play D twice and O twice.

So far its very "MEH" as im getting killed Err... MURDERED by everyones 12x upgraded gun/mortar etc.

I'll put a few more hours into it before i say i like or dislike it.

Hah, that's how I felt when I first started as well. I'd recommend going Medic. Keep dropping the health kit around your teammates, and revive them when they die (the heart monitor symbol on the radar). I think it's one of the more fun classes, and it helps you level up pretty quickly.

Tapp

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 26, 2009
As I said, such a dynamic environment would be hell to optimise. You'd have buildings made entirely out of occluders and areaportals, and even the ground cannot be properly optimised because it can be destroyed slightly (not too far, so some world brushes can exist). Take on top of that fifty-bazillion dynamic entities and complementary shadows, and you'd be lucky to run it on a crysis computer (not really).

Radaka

L420: High Member
May 24, 2009
And then you realise just how outdated the source engine is. Not every engine uses brushwork as a basis.

Naso

L2: Junior Member
Jun 11, 2009
I remember someone posting, I don't know if it was on this forum or not, a video and a web page showing what I remember to be some software that Intel has made that auto optimizes maps. Spend ages looking for it, but to no avail.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
As I said, such a dynamic environment would be hell to optimise. You'd have buildings made entirely out of occluders and areaportals, and even the ground cannot be properly optimised because it can be destroyed slightly (not too far, so some world brushes can exist). Take on top of that fifty-bazillion dynamic entities and complementary shadows, and you'd be lucky to run it on a crysis computer (not really).

Frostbite is a modern engine so therefore it uses models for pretty much everything unlike Source which is a bit of an old foggy with its brush-based shenanigans.

Feb 14, 2008
afaik, the old BF2 engine didn't use brushes at all either, just models and a huge terrain "displacement" on the ground

Brushes give a lot more creative freedom to the map maker imo

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Level designers are expected to know how to model nowadays so you are, in fact, less restricted because there are few limitations with models compared to brushes allowing to create all sorts of things like in this and this. Plus they make creating levels much easier as you're using the same models over and over again allowing you to save a new version and have all instances updated straight away.

Last edited:

Radaka

L420: High Member
May 24, 2009
I remember someone posting, I don't know if it was on this forum or not, a video and a web page showing what I remember to be some software that Intel has made that auto optimizes maps. Spend ages looking for it, but to no avail.

The tech that you're thinking of is called Umbra Occlusion (I think).