Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
I love it when I spawn on the attacking side... And for some reason the game forgets to issue me a parachute.

Whump.

Also, the UAV system needs to change so that using the terminal and then exiting (without moving the UAV much) doesn't blow the damn thing up. Both from a "Well-intentioned newbies sabotaging their team" perspective, and also from a lag perspective. ("Maybe I wasn't close enough when I pressed E. I'll just press it ag... damnit.")

Finally, I'm really not sure how I'm supposed to score an RPG hit against any moderately-aware Apache pilot. Even the mounted fly-by-wire rocket emplacements don't seem to really like this whole "hit a target in midair" business.

Last edited:

Eyce

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 13, 2010
Also, the UAV system needs to change so that using the terminal and then exiting (without moving the UAV much) doesn't blow the damn thing up. Both from a "Well-intentioned newbies sabotaging their team" perspective, and also from a lag perspective. ("Maybe I wasn't close enough when I pressed E. I'll just press it ag... damnit.")

Sucks that you can't even land them and leave them. >_>

Finally, I'm really not sure how I'm supposed to score an RPG hit against any moderately-aware Apache pilot. Even the mounted fly-by-wire rocket emplacements don't seem to really like this whole "hit a target in midair" business.

Any mounted MG can take out a heli, I'd personally go for them that way :p

tarmo-

L3: Member
Dec 10, 2008
I love it when I spawn on the attacking side... And for some reason the game forgets to issue me a parachute.

Press space (the jump key) (maybe more than once). Parachute opens \o/?

Tapp

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 26, 2009
I just played the game and found it to be above my expectations. Sure, it lags a bit but when you look at all the dynamic shadows, no static walls for the sake of optimisation and loads of physics it runs pretty efficiently. The gameplay is well-designed, a LOT better than COD :MW2 (although that can be said for a lot of games). All the classes play well, and the squad system makes teamworks suprisingly common. Another thing which I noticed is that this is one of the few games in which it actually plays like the trailer! I am yet to find another game which fits so coherently to both its intentions and the war theme. COD seems to have lost the whole "at war" theme, especially in multiplayer. There are enough explosions, bullets and vehicles to feel chaotic, but any competant player won't get killed by spam. I give it my seal of approval, and I will not only buy it, but I will upgrade my computer so that I can run it on the highest settings.

v3locity

L1: Registered
Nov 24, 2009
Press space (the jump key) (maybe more than once). Parachute opens \o/?

Yea, just wait until you're close to the ground and spam space (or whatever your jump key is). Pretty much a free ticket to not having to wait while you're being "deployed."

Extra style points for getting it at round start and stealing the tank so you can kill the A building in 5 seconds.

Last edited:

Limesimme

L1: Registered
Dec 23, 2008
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbHEAM3pN2o"]YouTube- Hitler Plays Port Valdez[/ame]

For those who can't wait for retail ;)

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
That video:
Very true. The problem is that nobody really uses the squad system, and almost all the voice-com I've heard has been a packet-jibbered mess. And since there's no way to communicate to my whole team, I can't just yell: "We've almost got it, everyone pile on" without laboriously typing it out and then getting shot in the head.

Ambient/HUD noise
WTF is going on here. Blings, beeps, biddlyboops, and I still don't know which ones actually mean anything and which are purely ambient. It seems they wanted a GUI "Experience" which I don't really care for.

Vehicles A lot of people don't seem to understand the power of vehicles or the fact that any uncrewed vehicle can be stolen at any time, and as long as it remains alive a new one won't appear. (That's why the abandonment of the T90 is such a blow.)

In the interests of map balance, IMO enemies shouldn't be able to steal vehicles while those vehicles have never been driven out of their spawn zone.

Squad respawning:
It's a neat mechanic, but I think they did it a heck of a lot better in BF2142, because at least there's this pod-from-space business.

In BC2, you'll kill an enemy and--whoops--within his last dying second a teammate of his just snapped into existence on the other side of the wall. And that second guy either kills you or continues the cycle. A big reason I suspect I die trying to defuse M-com stations is because I "clear" the area but the last enemy had his back to a wall and his teammate spawned outside and came back in...

It just screws me up because I try to keep track of how many enemies are where so I know what I'm getting into... And now that information will always be stale and subject to whimsical unpredictable change.

Map design:
Any playable surface that requires you to sprint up a specific section of graphically-similar slope in order to reach another playable zone is bad. There are some areas like this in the demo which I'm not sure are meant to be playable.

Last edited:

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
I'm certain those places aren't meant to be reachable. Being able to traverse up a 80 degree incline is insane.

Nutomic

L11: Posh Member
Feb 7, 2009
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsJwrHIGGnk"]YouTube- Battlefield: Bad Company 2 'How not to be a Noob' HQ[/ame]

Caliostro

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 6, 2009
That video:
Very true. The problem is that nobody really uses the squad system, and almost all the voice-com I've heard has been a packet-jibbered mess. And since there's no way to communicate to my whole team, I can't just yell: "We've almost got it, everyone pile on" without laboriously typing it out and then getting shot in the head.

Admittedly the lack of team voice chat is a negative, but let's be entirely honest here: How is that any different from any other team-based multiplayer game ever?

Getting stuck with a bad team, especially when the game is new, happens. TF2 is around 3 years old now, and I still get team stuffed full of retards, and I can whisper, comment, beg, shout or yell over voice chat for people to change class, or defend the flag, or charge the middle... It really doesn't help.

That said, "Get on B/A" takes half a second to type... So Meh.

Ambient/HUD noise
WTF is going on here. Blings, beeps, biddlyboops, and I still don't know which ones actually mean anything and which are purely ambient. It seems they wanted a GUI "Experience" which I don't really care for.

There is no "purely ambient noise". Most of the sounds honestly feel self-evident to me: Lock-on warning, mortar being shot, bullet whizzing by... etc.

If anything the sound in this game is amazing.

Vehicles A lot of people don't seem to understand the power of vehicles or the fact that any uncrewed vehicle can be stolen at any time, and as long as it remains alive a new one won't appear. (That's why the abandonment of the T90 is such a blow.)

In the interests of map balance, IMO enemies shouldn't be able to steal vehicles while those vehicles have never been driven out of their spawn zone.

You do realize that to get in the enemy spawn zone and steal their vehicle is insanely hard if they're at least half competent right?

First you need to actually get all the there without having your face shot off, which is a bit like swimming against the tide. Then you need to wait till a vehicle respawns, then you need them to NOT take it immediately. You need to stay alive and not be spotted till this point in the same place the enemy spawns and runs around in. All the while, you can't be hiding too far from the vehicle spawn, or someone else will take it. Once the vehicle spawns, you need to make a run for it, and pray nobody just happens to spawn closer, or behind you, in time to ventilate the back of your skull.

If you accomplished all of the above, you fucking DESERVE the ride.

Squad respawning:
It's a neat mechanic, but I think they did it a heck of a lot better in BF2142, because at least there's this pod-from-space business.

In BC2, you'll kill an enemy and--whoops--within his last dying second a teammate of his just snapped into existence on the other side of the wall. And that second guy either kills you or continues the cycle. A big reason I suspect I die trying to defuse M-com stations is because I "clear" the area but the last enemy had his back to a wall and his teammate spawned outside and came back in...

It just screws me up because I try to keep track of how many enemies are where so I know what I'm getting into... And now that information will always be stale and subject to whimsical unpredictable change.

Begs the question, where is your squad to cover your ass?

That honestly doesn't happen to me a lot. I do sometimes get the "enemy spawns when friend dies", but usually that only means I spend an extra bullet, 40mm grenade or knife to the face for the extra kill, since they're sitting ducks while respawning. Hell, I once had someone spawn right before I shot their squad mate with a 40mm grenade... Double kill. That was hilarious.

Map design:
Any playable surface that requires you to sprint up a specific section of graphically-similar slope in order to reach another playable zone is bad. There are some areas like this in the demo which I'm not sure are meant to be playable.

Yeah that needs to get fixed. Some zones are obviously not meant to be played, like the right top of the mountain behind the first M-Com set. There are snow zones that aren't even textured properly.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
That video:

Typically, spamming Q while looking at an objective changes the icon and everyone in your squad will gain additional points for killing enemies while nearby. Use it, because it works for people that know what it does. Also, if you've planted a charge and know you've got an objective, switch the order to the other MCom.

I would like a decent text chat system though.

Ambient/HUD noise

Most of the beeps you will hear are going to be squad deaths and squad respawns. They sound like an average regular beep but they either mean a squadmate has died nearby or respawned on you. Others will be your score notifications, and the other beeps I assume just deal with spotting.

If you don't want the apache to get stolen, get in the apache. If you don't want the T-90 to get stolen, get in the T-90. Hit F1 to switch to the driver side seat and remember that if you jump out to repair that you leave someone else inside the vehicle. You can't kidnap enemies.

Squad respawning:

This has only happened once or twice for me, and typically a spray of XM8 bullets handles the problem. It doesn't work perfectly, but it works well enough that I really never think of it as a cheap shot when it happens.

Map design:

AFAIK these areas have been fixed for the retail patch.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Extra style points for getting it at round start and stealing the tank so you can kill the A building in 5 seconds.

ATV + C4 is better because then you typically take a whole enemy squad up with you.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
One other item: Is there any way to get English messages when attacking? I don't know Russian and there's no text to go along with most of them to help me learn it. Whatever I set in options I still seem to hear Russian when attacking, which really screws up the "socialize" system on offense.

Admittedly the lack of team voice chat is a negative, but let's be entirely honest here: How is that any different from any other team-based multiplayer game ever?
At least in TF2 I can speak and know that someone's probably hearing it. In BC2 it just feels like the potential power of voice is severely crippled.

Hell, I can't even say: "Who else has a mic?" and if I type it it probably disappears irrecoverably from the screen before anyone sees it. Least of all the competent teammate I'm looking for who is probably in the middle of a firefight. And you can't just join the squad of the highest-scoring player because sometimes that's the guy sniping back at spawn.

There is no "purely ambient noise". Most of the sounds honestly feel self-evident to me: Lock-on warning, mortar being shot, bullet whizzing by... etc.
I think some beeps are part of the spotting/battle-status-related radio clips. And once or twice I've been in a tank and there've been beeps and tones which don't seem to be the same as the missile-lock one. Even if they are all utterly gameplay-related, they may as well be ambient to new players when their association with the game world is not explained in the hud.

Anyone with hints still turned on ought to see some messages in text that pop up and fade for them. Like "Squad member spawned", or "Squad member died", etc.

You do realize that to get in the enemy spawn zone and steal their vehicle is insanely hard if they're at least half competent right?
And in the demo, they sure aren't. On defense, it's easy to hole up in a little building that a team doesn't check as they advance. On offense, many times I've managed to circle the the harbor and crates, but I never try for the Apache because I don't have a joystick. (That is, my new computer doesn't have a gameport.)

I find I'm usually the guy who goes back and kills the infiltrators because I can't effectively communicate their position until I already have line-of-sight on them anyway for shooting.

That honestly doesn't happen to me a lot. I do sometimes get the "enemy spawns when friend dies", but usually that only means I spend an extra bullet, 40mm grenade or knife to the face for the extra kill, since they're sitting ducks while respawning
"An" extra bullet? We're talking about the PC version, right?

Certainly, "server full of unmotivated newbies" isn't something I can blame the game for. But there are steps which could make it a lot easier. For one, default whatever side you're on (incl. attacking) to English so that people know what all the jibber-jabber is. (Maybe it is and my config's screwed up, I dunno.)

Secondly, non-squad communication could be much better. The "socialize" button isn't complex enough to offset it. You can't say send things like "advance to this position" unless that position is an M-com station. IIRC BF2142 did it better.

Last edited: