Bad Mapmaking Cliche's

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
38. Putting the respawn room visualiser outside of the spawnroom door model.
39. Signing up and making a post that reads something like this: "I've almost finished my map but I've got one problem with <insert inconcievably basic problem here> here is my VFM if you could look at it that would be helpfull!!"

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
39. Signing up and making a post that reads something like this: "I've almost finished my map but I've got one problem with <insert inconcievably basic problem here> here is my VFM if you could look at it that would be helpfull!!"

Joshua was in steam chat again?

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I disagree with 38 there. Are you calling the valve mappers bad?

Damn right I am. Have you not seen the millions of:
  • Displacement misaligns
  • Pitch black lightmap spots
  • Pitch black props (poor lighting and no info_lighting)
  • Overlays and props sunk into other things
  • Tiny lips you can rocket/demo jump to and stand on
  • Texture missaligns
  • Visible nodraw faces on brushes
  • Floating props
  • etc
  • etc

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
^ if we had the same map editor as them.. we would as well =)

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Does anyone actually know just how different their hammer is to ours? I think theirs is probably more like a sledga hammer to our mallet

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
They have the same editor with a few bells and whistles probably.

Lord Ned

L420: High Member
Feb 11, 2008
I think it's the same minus a few content management tools/networking/etc.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
My camry is basically a ferrari, missing a few bells and whistles.

Dox

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Oct 26, 2007

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
wow dox, your sig is so baddly photoshopped.... the white lines around the space where the logo's background used to be?

Open Blade

L420: High Member
Nov 30, 2007
BOTTLENECKS are the worst common mistake I see. Must have multiple routes, not too many but 1 chokepoint is 1 too many.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Psycho, josh and lolz, be ashamed of yourselves, it's one thing to have an off topic post every now and then, but to then jump up and down kicking and screaming about it and totally derail the thread is another.
Its totally uncalled for. One OT post can be easily over looked 3 stupid OT posts afterwards make it far harder to over look and end up wrecking the thread.
I don't want to hear anything more OT rubbish from you in this thread, like I have said before: If you want to make a fuss about an off topic post, take it to Off Topic and make a new thread complaining about it.

Open blade - Bottle necks are NOT a bad thing, they really aren't. They force players to really work together and really makes the better team come out victorious (provided the bottleneck is virtually equal for each team). Valve put bottle necks into their maps, it happens every control point. In fact, bottlenecks are what make the game fun, every control point is a bottleneck. What mappers do that is wrong, is put in /coins new term "syringenecks" and those really don't help anyone, you may remember bloodstained, One of the main problems with bloodstained is it is full of syringe necks, pretty much at every point, demomen, soldiers and engies found it rediculously easy to prevent anyone leaving though most corridors. If I were to scale bloodstained up by two to three times then they would cease to be syringenecks and be more like the bottlenecks from dustbowl.

And sadly I think valve's hammer is a lot better than ours, as nineaxis put it so very well. I suspect that at one point it was much the same but espectially now as they are doing episodic gameplay and updating the engine so frequently we're begining to lag further and further behind.